The Best Videogame Trailers Of 2008

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Best Videogame Trailers Of 2008

A sure sign of a looming new year is the inevitable emergence of "best of" retrospective lists, and since you can't avoid them you might as well embrace them. Why not start with this list of the Seven Best Videogame Trailers of 2008?

Put together by Brütal Legend [http://www.pastemagazine.com] trailer does nothing but set the mood for things to come.

Once those two are out of the way, things get more impressive. My own personal favorite is complete list [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/] to find out.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The Warhammer online trailer is certainly excellent, makes the world feel a little more epic and less rhetorical.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
I guess Resident Evil 5, no wait! Brutal Legend. Very excited for that. Only Psychonauts 2 would make me happier.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
all very good, but i agree with the warhammer one...probably the best trailer ever.

it def give the amazing WoW ones a run for their money, is games ever become as epic as that trailer i no i will have died and gone to heaven :)

i must say, WAR is the only real competitor ive seen on WoW (gameplay and trailers) and will hopefully go far...just a shame it isnt worth that £10.50 (or whatever it is in $) a month

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I think my favorite this year was the Far Cry 2 trailer from E3 2008. Anything with Massive Attack's 'Angel' is going to get points from me, but the quote from the trailer is great.

How do you stop a man who has the power to turn a nation into a graveyard?
They'll send someone.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DMTDjKusVqY

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wow...Brutal Legend. This looks so awesome, and makes me even more ashamed that I still havn't played pyconauts. Oh sod, im downloading it in the morning.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
What about the new Half-Blood Prince trailer? O wait...

Anyway, I would have to agree with Mirror's Edge as being one of the best trailers of 2008.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
I hadn't seen that particular GoW2 Trailer before, and I must say I do LOVE the use of Poetry. In fact I really love the use of good poetry in anything! It's kind of like Cheese really...

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Mercs 2 had great trailers. Sadly, the trailers were far and away better than the actual game. Whomever did their marketing should get a raise!

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Fallout 3 and Mirrors Edge were two of my favorites, I also enjoyed the trailer for Pure but that was mostly because I liked the song, not the best but I enjoyed it.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
That Gears 2 trailer was beyond cheesy, and the Warhammer one kinda felt like a bad fantasy novel.

I'm surprised Lich king's trailer didn't make the list. Blizzard cinematics are amazing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
That Gears 2 trailer was beyond cheesy, and the Warhammer one kinda felt like a bad fantasy novel.

I'm surprised Lich king's trailer didn't make the list. Blizzard cinematics are amazing.
True, but does it count as a trailer? I'd have expected the Diablo 3 one to be on there, though.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I liked the TV Spot for Mirror's Edge better, to be honest, despite having no gameplay (though it looked close enough).

I once wondered why more developers don't plug the money to put ads in theaters. Then I realized it must be a conspiracy. If they did that, people would stop going to the movies because the games look so much better. I mean, really, when was the last time you saw a trailer for a film that looked like any of those and were like "Dude.....damn...".

A long, long time ago is when.