Crytek Committed to Homefront 2 After Acquiring Series

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Crytek Committed to Homefront 2 After Acquiring Series

After successfully bidding on the rights to Homefront in yesterday's THQ auction, Crysis developer Crytek wants to take "the series to new heights."

One of the pieces of now-defunct publisher THQ auctioned off this week was the rights to the Homefront series. Crytek acquired the rights for $500,000 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121680-Bankruptcy-Auction-Ends-THQ], which seems like a good fit, considering that the developer was working with THQ to create a sequel to Kaos Studios' 2011 first-person shooter. In a press release sent out today, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli stated that the company has been "firm believers in the IP and its potential to excite and amaze players." Crytek will continue developing Homefront 2 at its UK studio in Nottingham.

Crytek closure of Kaos Studios [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113160-Crytek-Invades-Homefront-Sequel-Ousting-Kaos]. At the time, Yerli stated, "We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created and marketed by THQ... It's really important to us that THQ has the faith in giving us a lot of creative freedom over one of its most important properties to allow us to bring the Homefront world to life in a new and innovative way."

Nick Button-Brown, Crytek's General Manager of Games, echoed that sentiment in today's press release. "From day one, the Homefront 2 team has been committed to creating a game that takes the series to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation associated with Crytek." In response to the closure of THQ, Yerli added, "Our cooperation with THQ was always positive and we would like to thank them for all their support over the last two years and express our sympathy to those affected by the recent events at the company."

The first Homefront was met with mixed critical reception and average sales, which contributed to Kaos' demise. Homefront 2 doesn't have a release date yet, but should continue on schedule, according to Button-Brown: "Nothing has changed with regards our development of the game, and we look forward to sharing the finished product with players."

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
"the series to new heights." So anything that is a little bit above a deep dark chasm of #@!? then?

Okay, low blow, I took the easy way - a lot like Homefront's developers

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
If by 'new and innovative' you mean that you're actually going to develop a new TimeSplitters game, maybe I'll get behind you on this one.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Because Crytek has such a great track record...Crysis 1 was rpetty good. Crysis 2? Fucking bastardised. I just hope they make Homefront 2 longer and better. I rather enjoyed the first game, although it definitely needed a bit of polishing, some longer story, and a hell of a lot more showing of everything else that was going on in the world. Maybe Crytek will show us the initial invasion. I got the Homefront novel which details the initial invasion and it was incredibly cool.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created"

Did i play the same Homefront as these guys? i mean sure, it was something new, Koreans (if i'm not mistaken) attacking Americans instead of Americans attacking Koreans, but that's bout it what i can remember from it.

"to new heights and features the level of quality and innovation"
If Homefront 1 is their jumping off spot, i can't really see how this can be a challenge for them. Can't go any lower and all that.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
I'm glad to see this. Homefront was far from a great game, but I always felt it had potential that just wasn't wasn't being exploited - mainly in the story and setting department.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
An Ceannaire said:
I'm glad to see this. Homefront was far from a great game, but I always felt it had potential that just wasn't wasn't being exploited - mainly in the story and setting department.
My thoughts exactly. Singleplayer was rather abismal (five fucking hours!? Really?) but the multiplayer was rather fun. I hope Crytek adds some good elements to Homefront 2.

Also, as I say in any other thread with mention of Homefront 2 and Crytek, there better be Nanosuits and throwing Koreans around like ragdolls...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Crytek UK, as in Free Radical? Well, that's Homefront 2's prospects rocketing through the ceiling. But it's still not Timesplitters 4, or even Second Sight part 2!

Reaper195 said:
Crysis 2? Fucking bastardised.
I think Crysis 2 can be best described as a sixty dollar, seven and a half hour up-yours to everyone who bought, played and liked Crysis 1, who Crytek obviously felt had somehow wronged them...

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Disappointed Crytek, disappointed. You're putting resources which'll release yet another modern military shooter into an already saturated market, when you could be making a new Timesplitters.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I hope they can actually match the previous game's marketing hype with some decent writing and gameplay this time. I really wanted to enjoy the first Homefront, but boy, it was just too mediocre in too many areas.

I think producing another military shooter is just fine, as long as they do something to differentiate it. Just like there's always plenty of fantasy rpgs plopping out, it's all how you make it stand out.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
So, we'll get to use a bow as well as guns in Homefront 2?

You know that wouldn't be a terrible idea now I think about it. Some stealth aspects would compliment the setting quite well, seeing as the country is largely overrun.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Or you know make Timesplitters 4. You know that other IP you bought from a backrupt company years ago, the one we all actually like and which you haven't done a thing with accept toy with the fans that may happen and slap the developers of that glorious series with the indignity of having to make a sequel to what was a pretty average modern military shooter when they could be making a game with chimp piloted steam powered mecha suits in it.