Neverwinter Survival Tip: Buff Your Hat

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Neverwinter Survival Tip: Buff Your Hat

The folks at Cryptic Studios talk Neverwinter armor sets.

You'll never get by, in Cryptic Studio's free-to-play action MMORPG Neverwinter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120093-Perfect-World-Rolls-Out-Neverwinter-Screens-and-Trailer], without a trusty blade, but you'll also need a hat. For that matter, protecting your chest, shoulder, arms and feet is also a must, and don't forget your undershirt; it may get chilly out there.

Cryptic's customization allows players of its Dungeons & Dragons-based game to build their characters as they see fit. It's the only way they'll survive. "It's essential to equip yourself with the best available equipment for your character level," say the developers. "Don't leave any slots empty!" Especially since the equipment in each slot provides added stat bonuses, which you can mix and match to suit your play style

Power will help increase a front line fighter's damage output, but the more cunning may prefer Armor Penetration boosting abilities, to smack through the enemy's plate and hit them where it really hurts. Rogues will probably want to go for Critical Strike stat bonuses, allowing them to finish a foe quickly. Everyone's going to want at least some Recovery bonuses, to help them refresh the abilities they just burned off in the last encounter. Or maybe you'd prefer a little Defense, to keep you upright and coherent after an ogre takes a swing at you. Perhaps some Movement too, so you have some options; after all, he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.

No, there's still no word on when this is due; Cryptic's latest [http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/faq] has it as "early 2013".

Source: Perfect World [http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=806891]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'd guess mid-late 2013 (for those that care).

I'll also say that they aren't the first game to have undershirts, but they might be the first to actually give them abilities if they go that route (In WoW they seem to largely be cosmetic).

I also hope that they decide to make the headgear look decent in this game, I get tired of these ridiculous hats in MMOS that everyone winds up turning off in their options (if they can) because they look so silly.

In WoW I felt like "The Electric Cowboy" in some of the outfits my mage was wearing, I even had a Tesla Coil on my head at one point...

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I have never equated customization with gearing and stat-building/specialization.

Character customization has always been--to me--that thing I do when I create the underlying character. Setting up their face and body.

Telling me a game has gear and specializations means almost nothing since almost every MMO has that.

Jan 12, 2012
I've always loved the idea of a group of mages working in a factory, casting the same "+5 Frost Resistance" ritual over and over on a pile of hats. Sure, they could be remaking the world through sheer force of will, but they really want people to have somewhat magical apparel, and they really need it to last in dark crypts for a few centuries.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Is an MMO having items that you equip on slots really newsworthy? Why are the studio even shouting so much about it, since it's just making them sound like every other MMO out there?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Zagzag said:
Is an MMO having items that you equip on slots really newsworthy? Why are the studio even shouting so much about it, since it's just making them sound like every other MMO out there?
It's not as simple as that. There are items, yes. But these items have stats! These stats - once said items are equipped - are added to your character's stats, and will enhance his (or her! or its! This MMO allows you to choose a race and gender!) in-game abilities! Such items can be found either in the market or by slaying one of the many "mobs" this game features, and this joke is starting to get pretty fatiguing.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Must be a slow week for The Escapist, hu--

*looks at all the other articles on the front page covering interesting things in videogaming and geek culture*

Well, there goes that theory.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
llafnwod said:
Zagzag said:
It's not as simple as that. There are items, yes. But these items have stats! These stats - once said items are equipped - are added to your character's stats, and will enhance his (or her! or its! This MMO allows you to choose a race and gender!) in-game abilities! Such items can be found either in the market or by slaying one of the many "mobs" this game features, and this joke is starting to get pretty fatiguing.
Goodness, the gaming market hasn't had this type of development since they added a second player to PONG.