BioWare Teases New Mass Effect 3 DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Some of BioWare's best men took a moment to show off a pair of screens from the next Mass Effect 3 DLC.

Mass Effect Executive Producer Casey Hudson tossed out an interesting tweet [https://twitter.com/CaseyDHudson/status/295940382812942336] yesterday, his first since December 9 of last year, in which he wrote, "Looks like a nice place for some R&R..." The tweet was accompanied by an image of a crowded concourse, in the midst of which stand two rather familiar-looking figures.

Not to be outdone, Mass Effect Producer Michael Gamble followed up with a tweet [https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/295940849060151296] of his own just a couple minutes later, writing, "Does not look like a guy you'd want to mess with," and attaching another image, this one of a fully-armored Krogan smashing a gigantic club into the ground. "Enjoy your teasers," he added. "Two for the price of one."

What could it mean?

[gallery=1024]

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess is that it's some kind of Mass Effect 3 DLC, a theory given some slight degree of credence by multiple Mass Effect developers who said last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120955-BioWare-Hints-at-Big-Things-in-Next-Mass-Effect-3-DLC] that BioWare is in fact working on new Mass Effect 3 DLC. So with that cleared up, we're left with the somewhat more existential questions of why this thing is being made and who's actually going to play it. I don't know how previous post-end-of-the-universe Mass Effect 3 DLC has performed sales-wise and BioWare is promising big things for this one, which will reportedly feature contributions from all Mass Effect writers and at least three composers, but there certainly doesn't seem to be the interest in it there once was.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
They really shot themselves in the foot with the ending. Even if Shepard is still alive in whatever version of the future they decide is canonical, there isn't a huge amount to do now that everyone is all peace-and-love space hippies.

Presumably this means the DLC will be flashbacks or a prequel, and who gives a shit when we already know how things are going to end?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hey Krogan, the Brutes called, they want their

DVS BSTrD said:
Oh look a gravity hammer, just incase we weren't sure Mass Effect had completely lost it's identity by now.
....DAMN IT! NINJAED! Well in their defense, Halo doesn't have sci-fi war hammers copyrighted

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Super_sledge

And Mass Effect has always made cool clubs (looking at you afterlife) but...yeah, they really backed themselves into a cormer with the ending. I'll pass. It doesn't help that apparently the original ending for ME3 would take six more months to develop, would have multiple boss fights, and would show all of your war assets in action, from fleets, to squad mates, to fucking CONRAD VERNER! And Javik would play a major role too. Ugh. What happened Mass Effect?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Yep, from the looks of things all hope has gone that this won't be related at all to the keepers at all...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
They really shot themselves in the foot with the ending. Even if Shepard is still alive in whatever version of the future they decide is canonical, there isn't a huge amount to do now that everyone is all peace-and-love space hippies.

Presumably this means the DLC will be flashbacks or a prequel, and who gives a shit when we already know how things are going to end?
Because video games are about the journey and not the destination; unlike most other media?

I don't care if a game has the most incredibly story of all time, if the gameplay is terrible, then the game isn't worth playing through because it becomes a chore.

Conversely, a game where the story is shit but gameplay is amazing is fine because it fulfills the 'game' requirement of a game.

Edit: Besides, if ME4 follows a Mercenary or something, what they do doesn't have to be at all related to what Shepard did/does/will do.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
SonicWaffle said:

Because video games are about the journey and not the destination; unlike most other media?
Except that this videogame series was presented as being centred around the destination, in this case saving the goddamn universe. When a game is as narratively focused as the ME series, you can't blame gamers who're playing for the story not to be interested anymore once that story is resolved.

Kopikatsu said:
I don't care if a game has the most incredibly story of all time, if the gameplay is terrible, then the game isn't worth playing through because it becomes a chore.
See above. What do you remember more from the Mass Effect games, the story and characters or the shooting sections?

Precisely.

Kopikatsu said:
Edit: Besides, if ME4 follows a Mercenary or something, what they do doesn't have to be at all related to what Shepard did/does/will do.
Which I'm actually hoping for. That's totally fine. The problem now is that this isn't ME4, this is DLC for ME3, which has been fairly conclusively wrapped up. They've left themselves no wriggle room. Did you read Stephen King's The Wind Through The Keyhole, by any chance? Not a bad book - decently written, featuring beloved characters, part of one of the all-time great fantasy series - but just not very interesting as a part of the wider narrative because said narrative had already been concluded. Nothing of any genuine import was going to happen in the book, because the following chapters had already been written. Same with ME3 DLC; they can't go forwards so they'll have to go either backwards or sideways, but given that it's a continuation of the game it will most likely feature the same characters and plotlines, and we already know what happens. Where's the narrative tension when the player knows the plot already?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Urgh, seriously? More DLC?

Honestly, I love Mass Effect, I even got over the whole "ending" controversy enough to enjoy ME3 as the brilliant game it is. But I'm really getting fed up with all this downloadable content. I never thought I would actually want to stop seeing additional content for a universe that I love.

You ended the game Bioware (badly) so just let go already. Although I suspect this ongoing scheme has the stench of EA all over it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Which I'm actually hoping for. That's totally fine. The problem now is that this isn't ME4, this is DLC for ME3
My mistake. I thought you were referring to the next Mass Effect game for some reason.

I still don't really see why it matters, though. I know how Star Wars plays out, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Rogue Squadron, Republic Commando, or Star Wars for the SNES. If not for my policy against buying DLC period, then I would have no problem with getting this DLC despite having beaten ME3 already.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh look a gravity hammer, just incase we weren't sure Mass Effect had completely lost it's identity by now.
Actually, I to think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to expect a Krogan to use. My issue is the whole "the plotline is shafted AND finished" thing.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
I hope it is less glitchy then omega.
That dlc should have been tested more or better

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am sure a screen shot that looks just like the Citadel section from Mass Effect 2 and a Krogan wielding a hammer are going to bring the players flocking back. Especially after how amazing people felt that the Omega DLC was.

On a more serious note, who is a screenshot of a Krogan wielding a melee weapon supposed to interest? Did anybody feel that Mass Effect 3 was perfect if only they had included more close combat enemies? They didn't even release a screen of them in an epic pose.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Haven't spent a dime on anything Bioware/EA since I finished Mass Effect 3 and its spectacular letdown of an ending. No DLC, no reinforcement packs, no games.

erttheking said:
And Mass Effect has always made cool clubs (looking at you afterlife) but...yeah, they really backed themselves into a cormer with the ending. I'll pass. It doesn't help that apparently the original ending for ME3 would take six more months to develop, would have multiple boss fights, and would show all of your war assets in action, from fleets, to squad mates, to fucking CONRAD VERNER! And Javik would play a major role too. Ugh. What happened Mass Effect?
See, this intrigues me, sounds incredibly awesome. Is there any truth to this? Was there a better, more encompassing plan? I would have waited years for a finish like that. Would have been much more encouraged to purchase DLC if I felt the same passion and creativity infused the spirit of the game. Now, it just all feels like a dirty cash grab.

Almost makes you wonder what would have happened if Bioware had stood up to EA, demanded the time to get it right..

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Yeah...nope.
Sorry.
Not Interested.

They expect me to buy a DLC for a game that basically gave me the finger three separate times?
It will be interesting to watch it piss the BSN off so more.

I wonder if its going to try and support Hack Walters and Clueless Hudon's "theme" though.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Kopikatsu said:
Which I'm actually hoping for. That's totally fine. The problem now is that this isn't ME4, this is DLC for ME3, which has been fairly conclusively wrapped up. They've left themselves no wriggle room.
Now that EA is pulling BioWare's strings, the chances of seeing a new IP are slim to none, which is sad. The world-building they did for Knights of The Old Republic, Dragon Age and Mass Effect was astonishing and resulted in settings that felt entirely believable. I'd love to see them do the same thing with a new setting, but with EA calling the shots, look for an endless succession of Mass Effect sequels as the spark and creativity that were once BioWare's hallmark slowly dims and dies.

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So with that cleared up, we're left with the somewhat more existential questions of why this thing is being made and who's actually going to play it. I don't know how previous post-end-of-the-universe Mass Effect 3 DLC has performed sales-wise and BioWare is promising big things for this one, which will reportedly feature contributions from all Mass Effect writers and at least three composers, but there certainly doesn't seem to be the interest in it there once was.
Pretty weak reporting there Andy especially since they did mention before that the ME3 DLC has been some of the best selling for them. Just taking a look at the online population of the game I'd say there is still a pretty healthy market for it out there.

I get that there people who dont like the ending but not being able to enjoy the parts that are good because of it just plain immature, like everything else in life you got to take the good with the bad.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
I still don't really see why it matters, though. I know how Star Wars plays out, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Rogue Squadron, Republic Commando, or Star Wars for the SNES. If not for my policy against buying DLC period, then I would have no problem with getting this DLC despite having beaten ME3 already.
To be fair, while all "Star Wars" games are set in the same universe, few are inserted into pre-existing narratives; knowing how the original trilogy ends doesn't tell you anything about "Knights of the Old Republic" or "Jedi Academy", to use just two examples.

The problem with ME3 specifically is that its ending defeats the very purpose of DLC: to add to the overall story. One of the most common criticisms of the Omega DLC was that once you completed it, you couldn't go back and visit the area, and it had no effect on the rest of the plot. By contrast, the previous game's Kasumi/Zaeed DLCs added squadmates you could take with you throughout the game and into ME3, while "Lair of the Shadow Broker" was extremely significant for Liara's character arc.

So I can certainly sympathize with people who feel additional ME3 content is pointless - at best, you end up with a self-contained episode that has absolutely no impact on any person or event in the game.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Wave One: people complain about the ending.
Wave Two: people complain about EA and how they think Bioware is terrible now.
Wave Three: people complain about DLC.
Wave Four: people complain about the other people complaining.
Wave Five: people complain about having to see this whole debate get carried out yet again.

Round over, no winners, no survivors. Everyone levels up. New match starts.