Activision Deploys First Black Ops II DLC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Activision Deploys First Black Ops II DLC

A new game mode turns the tables on Zombies mode by letting you play as a zombie.

Revolution, the first of four downloadable content packs for Call of Duty: Black Ops II is now available for purchase and download. If you happen to be an Xbox user, that is. PC and PS3 users will have to wait until February 28 to dig into the DLC, which contains four new multiplayer maps, one new Zombies mode map, a new multiplayer weapon, and perhaps most interesting, a new mode for Zombies that allows players to play as a zombie. Revolution can be purchased separately for 1200 Microsoft points or as part of the Black Ops II DLC Season Pass bundle [http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/dlc/seasonpass], which includes all four pieces of planned DLC for the game at a discounted rate.

Revolution's four new multiplayer maps are set in different locations around the world. Downhill is a snowy alpine chateau, Mirage is a sand-devastated luxury villa, Hydro is a massive hydroelectric dam, and Grind is a skate park. Die Rise, the new Zombies mode map, is set in a series of abandoned Chinese high rises, and will feature all-new Wonder Weaponry. Also included in the pack is The Peacekeeper, a new SMG for use in all multiplayer modes.

Turned is the DLC's new Zombies mode, in which three players will play as zombies against a lone human. If you manage to kill the human as a zombie, you will respawn as the human and then try to survive as long as you can. You can only earn points as the human, so it should make for an interesting take on what was easily the most entertaining addition Treyarch has contributed to the Call Of Duty franchise.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops II is the ninth game in the main series of Call of Duty games. It was produced by Treyarch, a company commissioned to make every "odd-numbered" Call of Duty, starting with Call of Duty 3 in 2006. Infinity Ward, the original developers of the Call of Duty franchise, make every "even-numbered" game, and the two developers release games in alternating years.

The Call of Duty franchise has been the source of controversy in the past, when former Infinity Ward studio heads Jason West and Vince Zampella sued Activison, claiming that they were intentionally fired before they could collect royalties from the recently released Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. The suit was eventually settled out of court. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117556-UPDATE-Activision-and-West-Zampella-Settle]

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Dear god revolution sounds like infected from MW3 but good. Kind of like the rest of Blops 2 Can't wait to try it out.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Hold on, there seems to be a typo in the title...
Steven Bogos said:
Activision Deploys Latest Modern Warfare 2 DLC
Fixed it.

...I can't help but feel an impending hail of warnings and bans for this post...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Gearhead mk2 said:
Hold on, there seems to be a typo in the title...
Steven Bogos said:
Activision Deploys Latest Modern Warfare 2 DLC
Fixed it.

...I can't help but feel an impending hail of warnings and bans for this post...
Since when does MW2 got a Zombie Mode?

Still, Die Rise (or "Great Leap Forward", as it is called in game and the mode is "Die Rise" - tho it is also the only mode on that map) looks pretty nifty. Some new wall weapons (not new weapons per se, but weapons that were not in this mode yet and can now be bought at any time without the box, like the PDW-47 or the AN-94), a new Wonder Weapon, new voice-acting, a new songs "We all Fall Down" (not my favorite, 115, Carrion and Lullaby are still better imo), new buildables... I gonna love it.

On another note - apparently, there were quite a lot of people, who were unable to read and thought, that PC would get the DLC at 29th of January as well. Doesn't matter that all advertisments said "Revolution at 29th of Jan for 360" (or the fact that DLCs for CoD were always a month earlier for the 360). They said that because they bought the Season Pass, they are entitled to get the DLC for their system before the official release just because the 360 is getting it yet - or say it was false advertising.
Am I the only one, who thinks that those people appear to be as smart as a wet slice of bread?

FFP2 said:
Holy shit 1200 points for so little?!
Little? Well, if you're only playing MP, then it is little. But let's see, what Zombies gets, shall we?
1. A new mode
2. A new (HUGE) map
3. New voice-acting on said map
4. New weapons not avaiable in the mode as of yet
5. A new weapon entirely (the Sliquifier)
6. A new perk (Who's Who)
7. The return of a perk so far not used in Black Ops 2 (Mule Kick)
8. A new song ("We All Fall Down")
9. More Story

So, it think that is quite a lot, actually.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Bindal said:
Since when does MW2 got a Zombie Mode?
Since it's third DLC pack. It wasn't released on Xbox Live, but in physical stores, and it was called Black Ops 1.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Bindal said:
(besides, that joke is old and you're stupid for making it)
Lemme just say something here, I loved MW1 and WaW. I even liked MW2 in a stupid action movie kinda way. But BlOps... the multiplayer was horrribly imbalanced, the campaign was just a boring Michel Bay explosionfest, and the Zombie mode? I swear they cranked the difficulty up between games, and they did it way too high. And it didn't have 12 maps. It had 2 maps, then it copypasted the old ones, then they added gimmiky DLC maps. The whole game just felt like a rehash of WaW's setting with MW2's stupidity. The point I'm trying to make is that IMO, CoD hasn't actually done anything new in quite a while. It's either time for it to actually try something new, or for people to stop buying it by the truckload.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Gearhead mk2 said:
Bindal said:
(besides, that joke is old and you're stupid for making it)
Lemme just say something here, I loved MW1 and WaW. I even liked MW2 in a stupid action movie kinda way. But BlOps... the multiplayer was horrribly imbalanced, the campaign was just a boring Michel Bay explosionfest, and the Zombie mode? I swear they cranked the difficulty up between games, and they did it way too high. And it didn't have 12 maps. It had 2 maps, then it copypasted the old ones, then they added gimmiky DLC maps. The whole game just felt like a rehash of WaW's setting with MW2's stupidity. The point I'm trying to make is that IMO, CoD hasn't actually done anything new in quite a while. It's either time for it to actually try something new, or for people to stop buying it by the truckload.
So, they didn't try to make a less linear singleplayer in Black Ops 2? They didn't make the Zombie Mode in Black Ops 1 an actual mode instead of four maps in the Coop-Campaign? They didn't try to expand the Story of Zombies?
Under which rock were you living, I may ask? Because even if you say "it's gimmicky" with the zombiemaps - THEY WERE THERE AND HAD IDEAS.
And they expanded those ideas in Black Ops 2. Grief mode, for example, is something not seen yet in Zombies. Turned mode, too (no, L4D-Versus is not even close. Turned is a reversed form of Tag).

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
Damn, they really want people to buy it on the Xbox. They basically get the DLC a month in advance from everyone else. I guess most of their players are on the Xbox, but still.

The price is a bit steep I believe. The season pass is like $50, so the game will end up being $100 more or less. Maybe this isn't too much of a change from normal FPS DLC prices, I wouldn't know. But I personally wouldn't pay double the original price of a game for maps. Just not worth my time and money when there's going to be another one in about a year or so.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Kiyeri said:
Damn, they really want people to buy it on the Xbox. They basically get the DLC a month in advance from everyone else. I guess most of their players are on the Xbox, but still.

The price is a bit steep I believe. The season pass is like $50, so the game will end up being $100 more or less. Maybe this isn't too much of a change from normal FPS DLC prices, I wouldn't know. But I personally wouldn't pay double the original price of a game for maps. Just not worth my time and money when there's going to be another one in about a year or so.
Neither is anything new, actually. DLCs since World at War, I think, came one month early for 360. And they were also always four of them, each priced at 15$ and each usually containint 4 MP maps (and in case of Treyarch, 1 Zombie map). Exception were one or two addional Spec Ops maps for MW3 in their DLC-packs and of course the Rezurrection DLC for Black Ops 1, which was 5 Zombie maps plus the entire Soundtrack of Zombies.