Will You End Up in This Padded Asylum Cell?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Will You End Up in This Padded Asylum Cell?

This Kickstarter gives you the chance to be one of the inmates at Hanwell Mental Institute.

Argentinean developer Senscape has gone from being Greenlit on Steam - the first Argentinean team to get the Steam community's blessing - to hosting its own Kickstarter, all to make its Asylum nightmare come true. Take a look at the trailer, and ask yourself: would you like to be locked up at Hanwell?

Because you can; it's one of the Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror] stretch goals. Donate enough, and you could be listed as an inmate - artistic, creative, educated, or just unlucky - or one of the doctors. Heck, go nuts, give 'em $1,500 and not only will the developers put you in the game, you'll get killed off and stuffed in the Morgue.

Or if you reeeeaaally want to go nuts, $5,000 gets your actual honest-to-Murgatroyd self put in one of the game's cells. "Really," says Senscape, "it's a virtual, animated rendition of yourself. Locked in an insane asylum. And thousands of players will see you. Need we say more?" There is, I almost hesitate to mention, a $10,000 stretch goal ... but I've said too much already.

Senscape draws on the influences of H.P. Lovecraft and Hammer Horror to make its latest game. Asylum is already in an advanced stage of production, and Senscape just wants to push it over that final hill. "In a nutshell," says Senscape, "Asylum will happen. But we need your help to make it happen sooner."

So ... just how crazy are you, anyway?

Source: Asylum: Kickstart the Horror [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I really can't wait for this game. I love these indie horror titles that have the freedom to create a truly horrifying experience rather than making a typical action game in order to sell copies. I might just donate a little bit.

That $10k pledge is pretty cool. I wonder if anyone truly is insane enough to pledge that.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Seriously cannot wait to play this. I've been following it ever since the early stages and it looks really really good. And scary.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
VanQQisH said:
I really can't wait for this game. I love these indie horror titles that have the freedom to create a truly horrifying experience rather than making a typical action game in order to sell copies. I might just donate a little bit.

That $10k pledge is pretty cool. I wonder if anyone truly is insane enough to pledge that.
Unknown, it would be interesting if someone did, but I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty rich to do it.

To be honest my only real problem with this game from what I've seen is that it seems like another "Adventure" game where you run around, soak up the atmosphere, and solve item based puzzles, many of which are probably going to be fairly obtuse. Not quite my style, I might donate on the digital tier when I get paid just because it's a decent looking horror game though.

I'd kind of prefer a return to old school survival horror, akin to the early Resident Evil games, where there were not only puzzles, and such but also a degree of action, but as opposed to a shooter you were comparitively vulnerable and had limited resources to fight with so evasion was encouraged. I consider this style (early Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc...) to be the best era of horror games.

Running around non-stop as action guy, shooting everything as fast as it can spawn is not horror, but at the same time neither is picking up every bit of junk you can find and stopping to figure out if you can say combine a mop handle, copper wire, and car battery to make an electric prod to drive back a monster for a few seconds so you can grab a broken part of a key you use with the nail file to sharpen enough to finish scratching a symbol into a rock wall which opens door leading to a broken stairway where you combine a meathook with an extension cord to find a grapple, swing accros and then find a body of water and an airpump you use to backtrack and inflate an inflatable rabbit you found at the beginning and then carry back to float accross the water and....

I like fairly streamlined puzzles, that are broken up with a bit of action, and scavenging and maintaining resources. Tastes vary though I guess. The perfect horror game has yet to be created IMO.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Never heard of it till now. Looks pretty good. And for 15 bucks. Why not. Add to that collection of Steam games I STILL need to play.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, that 10k reward is pretty damn cool. I know if I had the money for it, I would do that in a heartbeat.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
After the "Strike Suite Zero" price issue I'm not gonna pledge to a project again that's going to happen anyway. They just want money to finish it sooner....

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This looks pretty fun; really good to see a developer coming out of Argentina put stuff out like this. Also; the environment itself looks to be barrels of fun to explore. Well I say 'fun'...

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Paying to see yourself (name, likeness, whatever) sounds like it might be neat. But imagine if that catches on, and Kickstarter projects start realizing significant, ego-driven capital from it. In short order you could have 'rich' (it's all relative) game fanatics paying to insert their digital selves into everything even remotely indi.

Visualize seeing the same people pop up over and over again as characters anytime you tried a new game. That would get pretty old, pretty quick.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Been a fan of Scratches since that was in development and the same with Asylum, I donated $100 because of how much I enjoyed their games. It might be nice to note they do have a teaser for people to try out.

godgravity

Aug 20, 2012
Xannidel said:
Been a fan of Scratches since that was in development and the same with Asylum, I donated $100 because of how much I enjoyed their games. It might be nice to note they do have a teaser for people to try out.
.. maybe, but I didn't quite get the 'teaser.' I wasn't sure if I was playing "The 7th Guest" / "11th Hour" (urp) or if it would be a full-on 3D-explorable environment (as opposed to a point-and-clicky "Myst"-like title).

That said, I guess I could have read up some more.. (goes to wiki)

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
What happened to this game? I saw a trailer for this game on machinima a few years ago and have heard nothing about it till it popped up on greenlight.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
godgravity said:
Xannidel said:
.. maybe, but I didn't quite get the 'teaser.' I wasn't sure if I was playing "The 7th Guest" / "11th Hour" (urp) or if it would be a full-on 3D-explorable environment (as opposed to a point-and-clicky "Myst"-like title).

That said, I guess I could have read up some more.. (goes to wiki)
If you played Scratches then I believe it will be similar to that. You will move to one location and have total control of the camera to observe your scenery for any clues or puzzles or what not. Scratches did not have a whole lot of puzzles compared to a game like The 7th Guest/11th Hour so also take that with a grain of salt.

jdogtwodolla said:
What happened to this game? I saw a trailer for this game on machinima a few years ago and have heard nothing about it till it popped up on greenlight.
Yeah I know what you mean, before I knew they had a Facebook page I was also in the dark on this title but I eventually tracked their page down and now they have been Steam Greenlit and are now well underway on their Kickstarter project.