Ex-Gas Powered Games Developer Roams Kickstarter

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Ex-Gas Powered Games Developer Roams Kickstarter

Former Gas Powered Games staffer Kickstarts Roam, a co-op, base-building, zombie survival game.

Gas Powered Games' latest Kickstarter [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121732-Wildman-Kickstarter-Could-Be-Running-Out-Of-Gas]might be losing steam[/a], but that's not stopping Ryan Sharr trying to find Kickstarter gold. After being laid off from Gas Powered Games (GPG), he's striking out on his own with an ambitious idea for a game entitled [a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roam/roam]Roam[/a]. Stir procedurally generated levels, online co-op, and base-building into a pot, sprinkle with zombies and serve. The only trouble is that it needs to be baked to the tune of $40,000. That's where you come in.

Roam's world will be a procedurally generated apocalypse for you and three friends to scavenge, build and survive within. As you fight off waves of attackers, zombies might randomly mutate or bandits might attempt a raid, all to keep you on your toes. While you will be able to switch out gear and upgrade weapons, Sharr emphasizes that skill will be the main factor in combat. Meanwhile, you'll encounter NPC's to work with or exploit.

As per usual Kickstarting doctrine, pitching your hat towards Roam will net you various rewards. $15 will earn you a copy of the final game with beta access, while $350 will add you as a character in game. At the time of writing, they're already three-quarters of the way to their $40K goal. There are a series of stretch goals if the project receives more investment, some of which seem significant. Particularly exciting is the $50k goal which will add RPG stats to the mix. It seems that they're counting on stretch goals to make the game that they want to make, but will settle for less if they have to. If the Kickstarter is successfully funded, Roam will go to Steam's Greenlight and attempt to get published there.

Source: [a href=http://roam-game.com/]Roam[/a]

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
5 years ago this would have been a unique submission. Now it sounds just like every other kickstarter - a fad being capitalised on.

It sounds like it has promise... like a thousand other kickstarter submissions.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Good luck to him and all, I always try and wish success on people. But another bloody zombie game on steam? How about we go a survival base-building game about werewolves? I can't recall us having done a werewolf apocalypse game.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
LongAndShort said:
How about we go a survival base-building game about werewolves? I can't recall us having done a werewolf apocalypse game.
I'd go for some sci-fi survival thing set in John Scalzi's Old Man's War universe. Imagine trying to run a set up a colony while the entire planet's trying to murder you dead.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
IanDavis said:
LongAndShort said:
How about we go a survival base-building game about werewolves? I can't recall us having done a werewolf apocalypse game.
I'd go for some sci-fi survival thing set in John Scalzi's Old Man's War universe. Imagine trying to run a set up a colony while the entire planet's trying to murder you dead.
Just googled it and yeah, I could play a game like that. Still maintaining Werewolves are the apocalypse creatures of the future.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
This reminds me of the PC-exclusive game called Fortnite by Epic Games. Which...we've heard hide nor hair of for many months, to almost 1/2 a year now. Though this is more top-down zombie shooter, like Zombie Taxi.

However,...if that video is any indication at all, it would seem that the game is complete already and all it needs -instead of begging for money through the Kickstarter program- is to get a Green Light through Steam and release there as an indie game. Right now.....a Kickstarter just seems like it's nothing more than extra money for the developers and that's it.