Bioshock: Infinite Reminds Us What Goes Up Must Come Down

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Bioshock: Infinite Reminds Us What Goes Up Must Come Down

[video=6769]

Irrational Games hypes its city in the sky FPS for its March 26th release.

"Where am I?" "Heaven, friend."

The trailer opens with Booker DeWitt, the game's main protagonist, passing through the "pearly gates" of Columbia. Festivals and fireworks surround the shiny happy people of the city in the sky, as it shows off its technological marvels and paradise lifestyle. But as DeWitt proceeds with his mission to rescue the mysterious Elizabeth, the ugly truth beneath Columbia's perfect mask begins to show.

The latter half of the trailer is a mix of cinematics and gameplay, showing off some of the coolest new weapons and powers that will be available to the player in the third installment of Irrational Games' Bioshock franchise. A thumping Inception-style soundtrack accompanies scenes of the player shooting bullets, fire, and ravens, as well as utilizing the "sky-hook" feature to zip around the level.

Bioshock: Infinite rises from the undersea utopia of Rapture featured in the previous games to Columbia, a city in the sky. The plot centers around DeWitt, a disgraced Pinkerton detective whose mission is to rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl with vast, untapped powers, from the floating city. The city is also being ravaged by tears in the fabric of space-time, which will periodically shoot players backwards and forwards in time.

The game will play similarly to its predecessors, being a FPS with RPG elements wherein players wield both guns and powers, and upgrade their weapons of choice as they see fit. Gameplay footage has shown that Elizebeth will be far from the traditional damsel in distress, offering you support in many ways, including scrounging areas for ammo or utilizing her own powers to help you in combat.

Bioshock: Infinite is currently slated for a March 26th release for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Would now be a good time to point out that the city's codename is "operation Icarus"? What do you THINK is going to happen?

Still not feeling a strong urge to buy the game. Not that it looks bad (looks interesting actually) but college has a way of making a man tight with money.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
What goes up must come down, much like heaving bosoms. Isn't that right, Elizabeth?

Meh, Im still finding it hard to get excited about Infinite. Hopefully it'll prove to be a lovely surprise for me when it comes out!

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The title refers to my dick after I orgasm. After all What Goes UP, Must CUM down!

Alright I over reacted but seriously! Come on where is the mystery? First Bioshock you had no idea what was going on and here they basically spell out the entire thing for you. It's about falling! Allot of different things falling.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
When you examine the Ark too closely, bad things tend to happen.
Fasckira said:
What goes up must come down, much like heaving bosoms. Isn't that right, Elizabeth?
Of Corset is!
I love you for that response. :D

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I have to say, I'm actually really looking forward to this. Really, the new setting looks just as gorgeous as Rapture and it looks like there's gonna be some really cool new stuff to see and kill. Lots of new potential in this game and while it's sad to say good bye to Rapture, I think it was a good idea to take the game in a new direction.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Fasckira said:

OT: Yeah.. I'm pretty hyped for this...

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Didn't Levine get pissy about people constantly cracking boob jokes around Elizabeth? XD Maybe they shouldn't have designed her with enormous gazongas and an outside-corset, hhmmmm? XD

In all honesty I still don't know what to think of infinite. It seems like an odd mix of "Amazing new gameplay ideas" and "Cruddy mainstream gameplay ideas."

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Please don't have micro-transactions, please don't have micro-transactions, please don't have micro-transactions.

I liked that trailer, it made the combat look a lot more solid than it normally seems to. It's never really been the strong suits of Bioshock games. I really hope the aiming feels less clunky than the last two.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
As someone whose been avoiding watching any of the trailers (aside from like the very early ones) so as not to over-hype myself/ruin too many surprises, I let myself watch that one and oh my, my, my...

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Looks interesting. Quite the theocratic angle to this one from the looks of it. So, we got Objectivism/Anarcho-Capitalism and Communism in BioShock 1 and 2 and now we get this. Irrational seems to like going to all the extremes.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Awwww, what happened to Elizabeth's skimpy dress? They've hidden all her previous "character development"

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
jhoroz said:
Awwww, what happened to Elizabeth's skimpy dress? They've hidden all her previous "character development"
it's okay, i'm sure they probably forgot to remove the older "assets" somewhere in there and some code miner will get into it

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Alright, I've preordered your bloody game. Are you happy now? Well are you? That's what I thought.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Skeleon said:
Quite the theocratic angle to this one from the looks of it. So, we got Objectivism/Anarcho-Capitalism and Communism in BioShock 1 and 2 and now we get this. Irrational seems to like going to all the extremes.
Oh, there are communists in this game too. They just weren't in this trailer. It's basically super liberal vs super conservative, I gather.