HMV Tweets With Brutal Honesty

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
HMV Tweets With Brutal Honesty

One social media rep at HMV did not take layoffs lightly.

When I was in London a few years ago, it seemed like there was an HMV on every other corner. The British populace explained to me that this was because HMV stood for "Her Majesty's Video" (the company entered administration [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Master%27s_Voice] last week, ending that particular joke once and for all. The movie, music, and game retailer isn't dead just yet, but it did just lay off almost 200 people in a desperate attempt to stay afloat. One disgruntled employee managed to capture the whole experience on Twitter, and although the tweets are now gone, the remaining HMV executives will be dealing with the consequences for some time.

"We're tweeting live from HR where we're all being fired! Exciting!!" the former employee begins, adding an "#hmvXFactorFiring" hashtag (this is probably in reference to the X-Men team [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X_Factor_(UK)]). "There are over 60 of us being fired at once," he or she continues. "Mass execution, of loyal employees who love the brand." The rogue tweeter apologizes for not having said anything on the company's twitter page for the last two weeks, but contract obligations prevented him or her from doing so.

The tweets, while extremely harsh, seem to come from a place of love for a company whose future has dimmed considerably. "When the company you dearly love is being ruined and those hard working individuals, who wanted to make HMV great again, have mostly been fired, there seemed no other choice," laments the tweeter. In the aftermath of the event, HMV has lost most of its HR department, even though many of the executives and directors will keep their positions.

Fittingly, the last tweet before their deletion read: "Just overheard our Marketing Director (he's staying, folks) ask 'How do I shut down Twitter?'" As the remaining executives at HMV are likely to find out in the next few days, the short answer is that you can't.

Source: Wriggy [http://wriggy.co.uk/2013/01/31/hmv-twitter-accounts-tweet-about-xfactor-firing/]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
If hmv goes I am going to miss it. In my opinion they are the best shops in the county to go to for DVDs.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I wouldn't miss HMV. Dunno how it is in the UK but here in Canada it's WAY over priced. Sure, they have some good sales but their regularly priced merchandise is SO over priced.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Yep. HMV was done over by dumb executives at the top that didn't bother to change its business model for 30 years. They didn't see a reason to and like Game they just bought shop after shop after shop, didn't bother with training, couldn't be bothered about pricing, took no interest in the Internet (I mean really? Still? This day and age!? Really!?!) and so was left far behind and died on its arse.... Rather like blackberry had/has with the mobile phone market. Really, "smart phones are just not our thing". That was clever.

HMV:His Masters Voice.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure their debt has been bought out, so they'll be selling stores but will still be about. Kinda like GAME did last summer.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I could be trippin balls here.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Isn't being in management great? You make bad decisions and other people lose their jobs while you give yourself a bonus!
Sounds like the British government as well. Sadly it seems the more money you get paid, the more value you are to the company even if it's your fault when things go wrong.

dagens24 said:
I wouldn't miss HMV. Dunno how it is in the UK but here in Canada it's WAY over priced. Sure, they have some good sales but their regularly priced merchandise is SO over priced.
It's overpriced here too. Ridiculously so, considering we have Amazon that sells everything for about a third less. Like a lot of companies that rely on their shops rather than the internet, they let themselves by not adapting to the markets.

I was given a Waterstones gift card as a Christmas present (they are the UK's largest bookshop company). As I don't have one local to me I placed used it to order the books online. It took around 6 days for them to even be sent, and another 3 for them to arrive once they had been.

They then wonder why places like Amazon are running them out of business when they take around half the time to deliver and are cheaper as well.

Toasty Virus said:
I'm pretty sure their debt has been bought out, so they'll be selling stores but will still be about. Kinda like GAME did last summer.
I haven't heard of this being the case, but I imagine it probably will be. It's not like we have many other large music stores (in the UK at least).

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Fittingly, the last tweet before their deletion read: "Just overheard our Marketing Director (he's staying, folks) ask 'How do I shut down Twitter?'" As the remaining executives at HMV are likely to find out in the next few days, the short answer is that you can't.
Uhh, sorry to hear that you lost your job but funny thing is, Twitter can go down. In fact, it was down briefly just 15 minutes ago.

Go figure.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good thing I found that Community (NBC) season 1 dvd today (I thought someone had bought it yesterday as I was check the online cost which with 25% off, had made it the same as online price). I guess I had made my peace with HMV for their demise.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
HMV deserved it. overpriced pretty much everything, didn't seem to bother trying to compete with an evolving marketplace, and after they got in deep shit, just made more mistakes (vouchers being sold up to the day they went public, their current 'sale', where they put 25% off nearly everything, except on expensive items such as ipod docks or headphones where they boosted the price up, and then put a sale on so it effectively stayed the same price as before)

it really is a shame that so many people lost their jobs, but the company as a whole had it coming.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Isn't being in management great? You make bad decisions and other people lose their jobs while you give yourself a bonus!
There will come a day when humanity will look back on this kind of thing and say, can you imagine we were once so barbaric? That a select few could ruin the lives of so many, and yet face no risk themselves?

I won't live to see it, but I imagine it will be glorious.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
People...love HMV?

That's...possible?
I suppose if you have a sadistic relationship with your wallet.

Feb 28, 2008
I find it sad that HMV has gone under. But sad in the same way that I might feel about a species that has fallen into an evolutionary dead-end and goes extinct. It was bound to and, in pure mean capatalistic terms, deserved to go under for not adapting to a changing world. Its business model was flawed. It offered neither a cheaper nor easier-to-use service, coupled with a more limited selectio, than its many competitors. But I hope somebody finds a way that the High Street can continue to have something other than Women's clothes shops, because that's all I see surviving at the moment ...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I was never a huge fan of HMV; they were always far more expensive than any other outlet, but it is sad to see them go like so many of our other high street shops. My town is barely recognisable nowadays. All the decent shops have gone bust only to be replaced by coffee shops, trendy clothing stores and bookies.

That said, I can sympathise with the employees; I know the feeling of working for an organisation you once respected while it slowly destroys itself from the inside.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Maybe now people will look towards better alternatives rather than being shafted by the high street giants. Amazon MP3 blows HMV and iTunes out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
With JB Hifi in Australia, i don't know how HMV is still around. I stopped shopping there years ago. Overpriced and shithouse selection.