84-Year-Old Gleefully Plays First-Person Shooters

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
84-Year-Old Gleefully Plays First-Person Shooters

An octogenarian newcomer to videogames experiences the thrill of victory in Black Ops 2 and Halo 4.

Anyone who has made an attempt to get his or her older relatives to play videogames knows that it can be difficult. Those who didn't grow up with games can have trouble figuring out how to use a controller, might struggle with a game's learning curve, or may become frustrated by the repeated failure that comes with learning to do something new. The 84-year-old in this video, however, has no such apprehensions.

According to the description on the video's Youtube page, the octogenarian's grandchildren invited him to play Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 with them, but "we never thought he'd react like this!" With some guidance from his grandchildren, he quickly grasps how to use a controller to move and shoot, and doesn't even seem to mind how often he gets killed in the learning process.

What's great about this is how much fun the grandfather is having in this video, whether it's because he's enjoying spending time with his grandkids or he's on his way to becoming a die-hard first-person shooter fanatic. Games are supposed to be fun, and can be a great way to bring people together, and sometimes it's nice to be reminded of that. The Youtube account "GrandpaPlaysGames" seems to have been created specifically to post this, but maybe we'll get to see more of the grandfather's gaming adventures in the future.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Eh. Is it bad that I do that with every new game I play these days? Oooh! Eeee!

xD

In all seriousness, this is just too damn cute.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Awww!

That's cute.
[sub]Also good press for video games.[/sub]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
D'awww, now I want my own grandpa to play videogames with - Where can I buy one?!

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I cant even get my parents to try video games. It's great that the grandfather wants to play games with his grandson.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
I believe my grandpa was the first person to introduce me to gaming with i think the first visit i ever had to them he introduced me to the Ps1 and put in spyro year of the dragon, damn that was a great game.

Overall, its nice to see that more than just young people getting into video games i tried to get my parents into games by getting them to play portal 2 co-op, it did not go very well...

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Oh no, stop this madness before we create a generation of violent old people!

Captcha: go berserk
How does it manage to pre-empt your comment?? Free-will is a lie...

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Saying he's "cute" is kind of disrespectful in my opinion. He's an old man, not a baby rabbit. It's great to see this though, it's the inevitable future once we're all that age. Go grandpa!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
What an uplifting video. I hope the guy continues to enjoy games beyond this, just keep him away from XBox Live. There's no need to make a man that old lose his faith in the youth that will be running the world long after his death.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
first thought...
Oh how cool ain't this

*watching a bit of the vid*
*looking back up on the name of the link*
o_O

HE IS 84!!!???
He does NOT look like 84!!!

And besides... great that someone isn't afraid of trying something new :D