Sony Teases Possible PlayStation 4 Announcement

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Sony Teases Possible PlayStation 4 Announcement

Is the next PlayStation on the way?

Sony has just published a video teasing the possible reveal of the company's next-gen PlayStation console. The short clip shows the four well-known PlayStation face button icons as well as a date: February 20. A teaser site has also been established, listing a time of 6pm EST on that date, which we assume is when we'll all get to see whatever Sony has in store.

An event was also just announced for the same date and time, called "PlayStation Meeting 2013." It should go without saying, but this type of impromptu announcement isn't exactly a common occurrence, and typically only takes place when a major reveal is in the works.

[video=6771]

Could we be seeing the first teasers for the PlayStation 4, or whatever it ends up being named? Perhaps. Lucky for us, we have less than three weeks to wait before finding out.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Neato. I'll be looking forward to that date, as I'm pretty unsure as to which console I'll be getting this time around, if any at all. So hopefully they have a good system to show off.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Every time I hear about the PS4, I feel bad for my still-useful PS3. I can't feel excited about the new console!

...Especially because I'm afraid of the price. I know back then the PS3 was expensive because of the blu-ray but still, I believe the PS4 will be just as expensive as the PS3 when it came out.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Beautiful End said:
Every time I hear about the PS4, I feel bad for my still-useful PS3. I can't feel excited about the new console!

...Especially because I'm afraid of the price. I know back then the PS3 was expensive because of the blu-ray but still, I believe the PS4 will be just as expensive as the PS3 when it came out.
Nope. Sony isn't going to make that mistake that huge again. It will be expensive, don't get me wrong, but I think the price point will be between 400 to 500 bucks.
Yeah, that IS pretty expensive still.

I'll probably do the same thing I did when the PS3 came out: admire it from afar, wait a couple of years for the price to drop and then buy it 2/3s into the console's life cycle.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm not sure what else it could be other than an Orbis/PS4 tease. And, in all honesty, saying that they wanted Microsoft to reveal first was a dumb idea...if they meant it. If this turns out to be the PS4 reveal then they totally flipped on Microsoft and may have found the edge they didn't have with the current/last gen of the PS3/360/Wii era.

Either way, I'm excited. I still love my PS3, and it will be at least a year after a PS4 release before I buy the thing, but new tech is so fun to look at.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I'm intrigued, but I'm gonna save my excitement. Even if it is the new console, I'm going to wait and see if they follow through on their whole "Games are console locked" thing. Even as someone who's been a longtime Playstation and Sony supporter, if there is one thing that would turn me off of the PS4(?), that would be it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Even if it IS the PS4, it doesn't really matter to me.

I'll end up waiting around a year or two before I get one...and that's IF they don't pull some sort of anti-used game tech.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I am about 80%-90% positive this is not a PS4 announcement. From my snooping around, it looks like it may be a cloud gaming service announcement after reviewing Gaikai feeds today. Last week they dramatically changed the website.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I have a slight worry that this teaser is just for some Playstation network update or new feature. Probably not, but the worry is still there. It does seem awkward that they announce a new system at some random event they made up one month in advance, instead of a yearly trade show.

Let's hope that if they do reveal the PS4, Sony doesn't add extra crap that adds to the base cost of a unit. I don't want, need, or have the money for a system with useless stuff like built in DVR, built in Move, 4K video, and stupid touchscreen/touchpanel six-axis motion controllers. Whatever they do have to show, it's price better be decent, and they tell us it's specs and capabilities quick and then spend more time on what kind of games and graphics we can expect at launch.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
The next PlayStation needs to be delayed at the very least another 5 years. It's not been long enough since the PS3 was released. Pace yourself already, Sony.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
The next PlayStation needs to be delayed at the very least another 5 years. It's not been long enough since the PS3 was released. Pace yourself already, Sony.
Is this sarcasm? Because if it isn't, it's been 7 years.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
You know, with every new generation of consoles, we see HD rereleases of previous generation classics.

I wonder what games from this generation will be worthy enough for gamers to rebuy them all over again on the new system...

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
7 years...It's been long enough. The console hardware is painfully outdated and severely limits the graphics on games. If the price isn't right though, what's gonna stop me from buying a PC with double the power for just a bit more?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
PS3 was only released in November 2006, or so wikipedia says. So if the PS4 is released November 2013 then the PS3 will only be 7 years old, so much for the 10 year plan. I dont know what other gamers think by the PS3 has a lot of life in it, as does the 360...atleast another few years. An like with all the PS consoles, the amazing titles start coming out later in its life once the developers work out how to use it proper.....as all PS consoles were never user friendly for game developers.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, they will create a big WOW factor, especially this early in the year. If there is no WOW, then im not sure if the PS4 will succeed. I kinda with they wait till E3 and just go nuts with new tech, new games and really sell/hype that crap out of it. Somehow, i get the feeling on 20th Feb will be a vid showing the PS4 logo and "The future of gaming is here this fall" and that will be it. Hope not.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010

We don't need new hardware just new software / intellectual property. Give me Fallout 4 ON THE PS3 give me Minecraft ON THE PS3. In all reality all I want are GAMES ON THE PS3. No new hardware or gimmick. Give me the Left 4 dead series. Basically what I'm saying is give me something new to play not something new to play games on. I HAVE hardware GIVE me software.

( I won't reply to " Quotes ". )

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'll reserve my excitement for now since I'm only going to buy it once I played everything PS3 has to offer.

But Sony has been in my good graces lately. So key word is 'eventually'...