DLC Season Pass Spotted for Aliens: Colonial Marines

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
DLC Season Pass Spotted for Aliens: Colonial Marines

The Colonial Marines Season Pass promises more content than you can shake a facehugger at.

For better or worse, DLC is a pretty big fixture of the gaming landscape these days. For proof, one needs look no further than the DLC Season Pass, each promising a wealth of additional in-game content at a discounted price. Many publishers are moving quickly to adopt this early-purchase model for their games, including Sega's upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines. Listings for the PC version's pass have appeared on <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Season-Download/dp/B00B76QR2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1359671789&sr=1-1&keywords=aliens+season+pass>Amazon, <a href=www.gamestop.com/pc/dlc/aliens-colonial-marines-season-pass/107753>Gamestop, and <a href=http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/pc/games/shooter/aliens-colonial-marines-season-pass/#description>Green Man Gaming, suggesting that Sega and Gearbox have a great deal more planned for the sci-fi shooter.

With prices ranging from $27 to $30 per listing, the pass offers a 33% discount for four additional content packs. While the exact nature of each pack isn't clear, the listings promise that campaign content, multiplayer levels, and even gameplay modes will all be included. All passes are provided for the Steam version of Colonial Marines, although the description notes that players should download their content through an in-game store to avoid being charged by Valve a second time.

A season pass for Colonial Marines was practically inevitable, considering that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119376-Pre-Order-Borderlands-2-DLC-With-Season-Pass>it wouldn't be the first Gearbox game to do so. I'm not entirely certain Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC will provide as much variety as something like Borderlands, but the prospect of dedicated campaign content certainly does intrigue me. It won't be long before we find out how deep the hive goes; Aliens: Colonial Marines will launch on February 12th, with a DLC schedule running from March to Summer 2013.

Source: Joystiq

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Not really surprising after Borderlands 2, I'm fine with the idea of season passes. They know they're going to release dlc so there's no point in not doing it. I just wish that they would include all the dlc, once I got Borderlands 2 I was thinking about getting the season pass, because I thought it would include it all, but once I realized that it didn't I decided I would rather just wait for them to be included it a steam sale.

Though I guess at this point they've decided that they have gotten all the pre-orders they are going to get since dlc is never a good selling point.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Neat. Now I can just skip out and wait for the inevitable "Game of the Year" edition that includes everything at a discounted price...assuming that this game is even worth my time.

Thanks for looking out for my wallet, Gearbox!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i dont actually have anything against season passes as long as the are planning and commited to produsing DLC or eaqual or greater value of the pass

DVS BSTrD said:
The problem is that we don't know what kind of content they're going to include in this "season"
i agree but to me its the same as preordering DLC (except you cant return it which is a massive downside) but you pay for it and are guaranteed several packs of dlc for a lower price.

having said that i dont buy season passes unless its a game i really like and i trust the developer to make good ones like in Borderlands 2, and thats the only one ive brought but i still think its a perfectly fine business practice

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Season passes are retarded. They want you to pay without knowing what the hell you're even getting for your money. It's one step away from fraud.

fozzy360 said:
Neat. Now I can just skip out and wait for the inevitable "Game of the Year" edition that includes everything at a discounted price...assuming that this game is even worth my time.

Thanks for looking out for my wallet, Gearbox!
I already do this for a lot of games. I feel like an idiot every time I see the "Ultimate GOTY Edition" for less than I bought the game when it was released. Like I payed for an unfinished product. I'm not even gonna bother with this one. It looks like a generic shooter except the enemies don't shoot back.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Season passes just don't make sense(to me), you're buying a costly DLC pack that may not even come out. They could in theory release just 2 bits of DLC then if the game does crap you're stuffed. That's what it seems like to me anyway.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Season passes just don't make sense(to me), you're buying a costly DLC pack that may not even come out. They could in theory release just 2 bits of DLC then if the game does crap you're stuffed. That's what it seems like to me anyway.
Usually they tell you how many pieces of DLC are coming but they make no guarantee as to what is in the box. I personally wait till everything in the season pass is available and the season pass then goes on sale. I have enough games to wait for DLC to become cheaper/full edition to be available.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
I don't mind the idea of season passes in theory, if they outlined what they contained. If (for any game offering this) it said something like:

"Buy the season pass for guaranteed access to 3 new single player DLC's in the coming year including..." bla bla bla with proper details of what they are going to be, rough release windows and so on.

But this current way I cant buy into (pun not intended), the promise of more stuff but you have no idea what it is and if I find I've spent £30 for 3 new guns or something I'd be annoyed

It's like going to a resteraunt, getting your drinks and starter then being told to pay there for the rest of your meal, which I guarentee will be delicious, but not being told what it is or when it will be served

dealzon

Nov 19, 2012
Just FYI that we posted a deal on Aliens Colonial Marines Season Pass earlier this week on Escapist's "Big Deal on Internet"

GMG just plop in new voucher code for it and its now 25% off on top of the 33% off (even cheaper than earlier this week):

Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass [http://dealzon.com/deals/aliens-colonial-marines?drc=escapist:aliens-colonial-marines-season-pass] (PC DLC) - $20.25 (USD) & £13.50 (UK) at Green Man Gaming. Next best is $27 at GameFly. This deal expires February 4 and activates on Steam.
<br clear=all>