Skullgirls is Still Coming to PC

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Skullgirls is Still Coming to PC

The Skullgirls team is still kicking.

Like many, I assumed the long-awaited PC port of beautifully-animated 2D fighter, Skullgirls, died when Reverge Labs laid off the entire team last June. I couldn't have been more wrong. According to a recent announcement from Lab Zero, a studio formed by the tattered remnants of the Skullgirls team, work on the PC port is about to begin.

The studio is in the final stages of signing an agreement with publisher, Marvelous AQL, to fund and publish the PC version of Skullgirls, and according to the announcement, we're looking at more than a cheap and nasty port.

"We presented Marvelous with two options: a relatively quick port that would mirror the feature set of the console releases, and a slower port with expanded multiplayer functionality such as lobbies," reads the announcement. "Marvelous AQL has graciously opted for the second option."

The project is expected to take around four months to complete, and apparently there will be a public beta. Expected delivery platforms include Gamefly, GamersGate, GameStop PC Download, Origin, and Steam. There's even talk of cross-platform play between the PC and PSN releases.

Of course, even if the port turns out to be terrible, we can still all look forward to yet another exciting debate about the game's alleged sexism. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114581-Skullgirls-Dev-Dismisses-Cries-of-Sexism]

Source: Skullgirls.com [http://skullgirls.com/2013/01/update-on-the-pc-version-of-skullgirls/]

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Luckily, whether or not it's sexist doesn't matter to me at all. People have the right to make any kind of content they want to make, provided that it's lawful. You in turn are entitled to buy it or not buy it.

Put it on the PC and I'll give you all my monies. Really glad to hear SG has been given another chance.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Quote from the article linked at the bottom of this one:

Bartholow puts a lot of stock in the fact that a woman, not a man, was the one who handled the animations. "She intentionally lavishes attention on the breasts herself because she thinks it's cool," he explained. "All the people who seem bothered by it are guys. It's a weird chivalry intent thing that's sort of misplaced and maybe shallow, even, because they see breasts and panty flashes and they go, that's sexist, but I've yet to meet a woman who has complained about it. They're over-thinking it."
Finally, somebody who has said what I have been unable to word properly. Not just in relation to sexism, but you constantly see in British culture people complaining about racism against Muslims, or homophobia where Muslims and homosexuals are perfectly fine with it, but overly sensitive non-Muslims and heterosexuals are trying to act politically correct. There is definitely a common occurrence where people not shown in a "bad light" take offence on behalf of those that supposedly are, when even them people don't give a damn about it.

OT: I like the craziness of the game. Their costumes are bizarre to say the least, but I have never really been into fighting games myself. The characters seem fairly interesting though, it's kind of funny how fighting games seem to have more characterisation than a lot of story based ones.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Now if only they could have figured out a way to turn it into an RTS.

But the game IS totally sexist: there's not a single male character on the roster. Because apparently having semi sentient magically transforming hair is something only girls can do. >(
Id love it if my hair could eat people... a MAW-hawk, if you will.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Now I will actually consider buying it, as I will no longer buy from live.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Oh my. I like beautiful female bodies. Thus, I am a sexist monster and I must die.

:p

I hope the PC port comes with Squigly.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
twaddle said:
I didn't even know the team had layoffs.
Same here :O

Either way I am pleased with this news (I don't owned a 360). I've been wanting to played that game when I first say the characters and the gameplay. It look so refreshing for a Western fighting game instead of the usual Easten games we get (nothing wrong with them it just that it rare to see a good fighting game that was made in the West).

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Bartholow puts a lot of stock in the fact that a woman, not a man, was the one who handled the animations. "She intentionally lavishes attention on the breasts herself because she thinks it's cool," he explained. "All the people who seem bothered by it are guys. It's a weird chivalry intent thing that's sort of misplaced and maybe shallow, even, because they see breasts and panty flashes and they go, that's sexist, but I've yet to meet a woman who has complained about it. They're over-thinking it."
Anita who?

OT: Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I have never been any good at fighting games, and I'm hoping that I can get over that with the tutorial in this.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Two more weeks
Two more weeks
Two more weeks
Two more weeks
Two more weeks
Two more weeks
Two more weeks

Oh, sorry. Is- Is something actually happening?!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
By the way, no news about how the sexist fighting game community raised more than U$ 225.000 dolars for breast cancer research? How the Smash community raised more than U$ 94k and the Skullgirls raised more than U$ 78k?

http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/01/fighting-game-fans-raise-over-225000-for-breast-cancer-research-smash-wins/

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Now if only they could have figured out a way to turn it into an RTS.

But the game IS totally sexist: there's not a single male character on the roster. Because apparently having semi sentient magically transforming hair is something only girls can do. >(
Technically, Samson is male so it's not that bad XD

Anyway I never got why people get up in arms about this. The fact that a girl was the artist makes the argument almost void. It's hard to be sexist against your own gender I would imagine.
Also thinking about it, the fact that people knee-jerk and go "No there MUST be a male character otherwise this is sexist filth!" is sexist itself right? I've actually yet to hear an actual girl complain about it. Guys crusading for no adequate reason.

Seriously, if you go into anything actively looking for sexism you ARE going to find it. Pretty obvious if you ask me.

Surely one token male character hastily added in before the game came out to avoid backlash would have been so shallow and pathetic. Perhaps even implying there was some truth behind the sexism allegations. Would anyone rather that have been the case?

Anyway on topic, cool. PC ports are welcome but for gods sake, the online community has been dead for many, many MONTHS now. At least on the 360. I keep hearing stuff about one patch that will bring everyone back to the game but honestly, I think it's beyond saving. I would love to be proven wrong but alas, i'm being realistic.

It was a really fun game as well. Shame. Now let's hope that the Persona 4 Arena online scene isn't absolutely barren as well once we Europeans get our hands on it. No, once we GET A RELEASE DATE for it even.

Fucks sake Atlus. Get your shit together.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
twaddle said:
I didn't even know the team had layoffs.
me ether, nor do i remeber hearing about a PC port, this pleases me, the PC could use a good fighter that ISN'T a tied to GFWL, unless it is :/ then i won't be getting it

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
That is one the biggest loads of horse shit I have seen spewed out recently. The guy basically doesn't have the balls to say "Stop white-knighting! Doing that still won't get you laid!" Hey, Ahad, anecdotal evidence still doesn't stop your game from looking like masturbation material. You ain't some liberator of female sexuality, you're a not-quite-as-bad Frank Miller at best

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Can't fucking wait!

I have gotten rid of my Xbox and PS3 awhile ago. I have missed this game ever so much.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Yes! I've been waiting so long for this!

Still butthurt over it not being part of EVO's line up though.