Arma III's Greek Island Gets a Name Change

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Arma III's Greek Island Gets a Name Change

Following Bohemia Interactive's espionage charges, its depiction of Lemnos will be renamed to Altis.

About half a year ago, Bohemia Interactive's Ivan Buchta and Martin Pezlar were arrested in Greece on charges of espionage. The crux of the arrest revolved around Arma III's depiction of Lemnos, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113323-Greek-Island-Angry-at-Portrayal-in-Videogames>an island near the Turkish mainland, which Greek officials worried would expose national security secrets. In private, I'm sure many developers enjoy the occasional spy fantasy, but this case led to five months imprisonment, separation from loved ones, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120757-Czech-President-Issues-Appeal-For-Arma-3-Devs>a significant amount of political tension. For these reasons, Bohemia has decided to rename the island to Altis, citing a new found lack of interest in the original title

"As part of the creative process, our virtual environments are often rooted in real-life locations and, during development, they evolve and grow along with our design," said Arma III project lead Joris-Jan van't Land. "The resulting fictional environment is often close to its inspiration, but it's never exactly the same - nor would we want it to be. For us, 'Altis' echoes the Mediterranean heart of our island, but differentiates it from any undesired real-life connotations."

While the change itself is relatively minor, perhaps it is an understandable one. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.399294-Rockstar-Forces-L-A-Noir-TV-Show-Name-Change>Some developers face lawsuits for refusing to change their content, but very few are confronted with jail time in another country. If I were in their shoes, I probably wouldn't want to spend every subsequent day at work hearing about the place where I'd been arrested either.

Bohemia Interactive hasn't mentioned whether it will alter the landscape itself along with the island's name. With Buchta and Pezlar returned home, Arma III should see a delayed release in 2013.

Source: <a href=http://www.bistudio.com/home/news/projects/352-new-name-for-main-island-in-arma-3>Bohemia Interactive

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
they can get stuffed, if they don't have the fortitude to stand by their games. I was planning to get A3 because its limnos, as A2 has everything I was. Bugga them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
FelixG said:
RicoADF said:
they can get stuffed, if they don't have the fortitude to stand by their games. I was planning to get A3 because its limnos, as A2 has everything I was. Bugga them.
I dunno, maybe they will have something entertaining happen like Limnos being nuked or bioweaponed at the start as a big "fuck you!" to the place.
On one hand I would approve, on another I still want to play on limnos as it is. my mate is from there, his family owns a house there and we were looking forward to protecting his homeland from the invaders. stupid old people ruining everyone's fun bitching about crap.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
FelixG said:
RicoADF said:
FelixG said:
RicoADF said:
I dunno, maybe they will have something entertaining happen like Limnos being nuked or bioweaponed at the start as a big "fuck you!" to the place.
On one hand I would approve, on another I still want to play on limnos as it is. my mate is from there, his family owns a house there and we were looking forward to protecting his homeland from the invaders. stupid old people ruining everyone's fun bitching about crap.
Well, if they change more than just the name of the island, I can almost guarantee you that it wont be too long before Mod makers restore the island to all its 'glory' for online and scenario play, considering how powerful the modding ability for ArmA games normally is.

So you may well get to defend the homestead yet!
That's true, and if it is just the name ill crack the config open and rename it myself! lol

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Bad move. Not being a big fan of FPS games, saying I won't buy this title now doesn't carry much weight, since I had no intention to buy it to begin with.

That said, I am apalled that they decided to back down after being strong armed by the Greek goverment. To be honest IMO they should have stuck to their guns, ESPECIALLY after having been arrested and held for 5 months.

Now granted what they were doing in Greece was pretty stupid, can't say they didn't deserve to be arrested, but changing the Island's name and such after the fact is doubly wrong, especially seeing as it's a real place.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Fair enough. Chances are I'd do the same in their position. Preserving the name of a single location within a game really isn't worth the jail time.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
thats right, change the name! that will confuse those pesky Turks! they'll have no idea its actually based on Lemnos then! (they dont have news in Turkey right?)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Therumancer said:
Bad move. Not being a big fan of FPS games, saying I won't buy this title now doesn't carry much weight, since I had no intention to buy it to begin with.

That said, I am apalled that they decided to back down after being strong armed by the Greek goverment. To be honest IMO they should have stuck to their guns, ESPECIALLY after having been arrested and held for 5 months.

Now granted what they were doing in Greece was pretty stupid, can't say they didn't deserve to be arrested, but changing the Island's name and such after the fact is doubly wrong, especially seeing as it's a real place.
You know, after all those months in jail I'd have to say that keeping the name of a single island just isn't fucking worth it.

Wait...they're free now!? Oh thank Christ.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm just glad they are free.

cwmdulais said:
thats right, change the name! that will confuse those pesky Turks! they'll have no idea its actually based on Lemnos then! (they dont have news in Turkey right?)
nope, they won't suspect a thing!

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Can't say I disagree with their decision. After five months of Greece fucking them over, I wouldn't want anything to do with them or their little island either. Why would they want to give people a reason to want to actually visit Lemnos due to having played in a virtual version of said location?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Call it 'C*nt island', tell those fuckers what you really think of them.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
I was personally expecting the island being called Fuckyougreekgov.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I with everyone else i'm surprised they didn't go with some juvenile rename of the island, but i guess there is merit in being the bigger man too.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
cwmdulais said:
\
well, last time i was in turkey, the local tv there went as far as "censoring" cigarette smoking because it was "not appropriate" for television. so who knows, maybe hey censor this too.\

The name should have been Miso Ellada