Tabula Rasa Goes Free, Still Taking New Players

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tabula Rasa Goes Free, Still Taking New Players

If you're looking for something to do over the holidays, you might want to consider taking a crack at Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa [http://www.playtr.com/index.html] MMOG - it's free!

Of course, the downside to the no-cost angle is the fact that the game will be shut down at the end of February. That news was actually statement denying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87610] that Tabula Rasa was at risk of being canceled.

But whereas most doomed MMOGs typically refuse to take on new customers, Tabula Rasa has thrown in a twist by continuing to accept new players while it plays out the string. Just go to the FTP server [http://www.plaync.com/us/account/]. A credit card is required for identification when setting up the account, but no charges will be billed to it.

It's unfortunate that Tabula Rasa ended up like this, because it did bring some new ideas to an MMOG genre that's drowning in World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] clones. There's no question the game was overhyped and promised far more than it delivered, and I can't help but think that it might have fared better if it was simply Tabula Rasa, rather than * Richard Garriott's * Tabula Rasa. But the bottom line for any game is that it isn't enough to just be different: Not sucking is important, too.

And for the conspiracy-minded: NCsoft seems to be going to a lot of trouble to attract new players to a game that's being closed in two months. A news post on the game's site provided detailed (and awfully upbeat) instructions for both returning and brand-new players, not the sort of thing you'd normally see from a game that's facing imminent shutdown. NCsoft has been pretty clear that this is the end, but they were also clear in September that it was not the end. Is it possible the company has something in mind for the property beyond the end of February?

Thanks to Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/23/tabula-rasa-goes-free-to-play-as-its-death-approaches] for the hookup.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
They could just be seeing if the game being free attracts enough new people willing to pay a subscription for it to keep it going in some form or another. Though I haven't played this game sinse beta I am personally not intrested enough to even bother looking into it again.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Give us your source code. Remove the moderators and turn your MMO into a wild and unholy place. Only then will your game truly become...something more.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
See I have an account on Tabula Rasa, and I thought I'd play if it was free but....nope.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
so they want your credit card details and are attracting new customers...
and they are not completely sure if their closing...

if i made an accont id keep and eye on my credit card ;)

sorry, conspiracy over

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
DamienHell said:
See I have an account on Tabula Rasa, and I thought I'd play if it was free but....nope.
Yeah, same here. Apparently I wouldn't take Tabula Rasa if it were handed to me on a silver platter.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I played the first free month you get with buying the game a while back. I didn't even last a week before cancelling my subscription and uninstalling it. It was world of warcraft with guns and sci fi elements and less fun.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
I played the first free month you get with buying the game a while back. I didn't even last a week before cancelling my subscription and uninstalling it. It was world of warcraft with guns and sci fi elements and less fun.
Which poses a question, why everyone call it different?

/facepalm

Probably everything resolves to WoW. Everyone is attracted to success I guess.

Jaccident

Nov 16, 2008
I've worked with NC before and they seem to be keen on that fellate your wallet, micro-payment shit :(

Laniara

Sep 10, 2008
I think if NCwest paid me a monthly fee to play this game, I still wouldnt. Lets face it, tabula rasa was the worst mistake NC soft could ever make, they should burry it somewhere in nevada with all the copies of E.T. for the atari 2600.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I'm a bit tempted to try it...

... but I just got Wrath of the Lich King for Christmas. So I think I'll stick with guaranteed fun. Even if it ain't free.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
ZeroMachine said:

... but I just got Wrath of the Lich King for Christmas. So I think I'll stick with guaranteed fun. Even if it ain't free.
Which poses the question...

How is that fun?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Aries_Split said:
ZeroMachine said:

How is that fun?
To each their own, friend. What you find shitty, others may find beautiful. It's one of the ways of life.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Aries_Split said:
ZeroMachine said:

How is that fun?
To each their own, friend. What you find shitty, others may find beautiful. It's one of the ways of life.
It just appeared to me you were dismissing Tabula Rasa because it wasn't WoW.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
The irony of it all - I saw the collectors edition in a game store for 49 bucks just a few hours ago.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Why bother even playing if it's getting shut down in a matter of months? You wouldn't get very far. That said, this news deeply saddens me; Tabula Rasa had potential.