Console Troubles Wreck Square Enix's Profits

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Console Troubles Wreck Square Enix's Profits

Square Enix is focusing all its efforts on earnings recovery, after a rocky financial year.

Square Enix's financials are out, and - in an effort to explain things to investors - the developer of Deus Ex and Hitman lays the blame for its rocky financial year firmly on the "increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console market". Its investors are understandably worried, as Square Enix has failed to make up the operating loss it had on the books at the end of the last six-month earnings report.

Square Enix made an operating loss of ¥4,853 million ($52.1 million) in the 9 months ending December 2012. It's forecasting a 30% drop in net income overall in the current financial year, when compared to the financial year ending March 2012. Net income is down by ¥5,745 million ($61.6 million).

Square Enix is hoping that PCs, smartphones and SNS will, if not save its financials, at least make them look more palatable. Social networking games and PC titles have been growing at "a satisfactory pace," and its MMORPG Dragon Quest X is also a steady performer.

Square Enix thinks that expansion of content and services "that conform to existing customer needs" is the way to go, together with expanding its MMO service line. It concludes that the time has come to focus "all efforts on an earnings recovery from now on."

Source: Square Enix [http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/index.html]

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Protip: Release Dragon Quest X on this side of the lake, too. I want some DQ MMO, my good sirs!

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Shit just got real.

Do whatever the fans say. Make a HD FF7. Release Versus 13. Make KH3.

Save the innovation for when you can afford to have a hit-and-miss title.

I'm actually really worried about SE now.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
FF14 at this point of time could potentially stab them in the gut. Let's hope it never comes to that. Infact I'm going to give it a shot just because they are trying so hard on it and making quite the gamble.

Dec 14, 2009
Yes.

The console market.

Nothing to do with making godawful games for the past few years ¬_¬

Warning; may contain traces of opinion.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
GamerMage said:
(insert devilish laugh here) It seems like ol' Squeenix is at our mercy. They can either finally listen to their fans again,and create games we desire most from them,(FF7 Remake,an HD FF9 would be kind of nice too....get them to remake GOOD FF games alongside the crap FF10,KH3,ah....the possibilities are numerous.)and thrive once again,or continue thier shoddy business practices and be in the red. Your choice Square Enix. (Insert Light Yagami laugh here) >=)
Kefka would be proud of you:p

And to think, a few days ago I was saying that SE will never have finacial issues.

Side note: Humble pie sure does taste like ass.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
All they need to do is keep making/publishing games that people actually want to buy, rather than the ones their bean counters think will turn a quick profit from brand recognition.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They are there own enemies and deserve it. They made FF13, not many liked it. So instead of a new game they made a sequel to 13, and again no one cared or wanted it. Now they release Lightening game.....the worst most boring character ever. They need to make what consumers want, not whatever they feel like making. They are even ignoring the call for FF7 and instead remaking FF5. I have no sympathy for them at all.

I would even like an FF game with time elements but with all the fan fav characters from all previous games, even with a number of fan fave enemies fighting you. :) Something that has nothing to do with FF13 and more intune with previous jrpgs. Now i dont blame them for changing and trying different things but when people hate FF13, stop forcing it down our throats with yet more sequels and spinoffs.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm actually fairly surprised at this, most of their games sold pretty well

SonOfVoorhees said:
They are there own enemies and deserve it. They made FF13, not many liked it. So instead of a new game they made a sequel to 13, and again no one cared or wanted it. Now they release Lightening game.....the worst most boring character ever. They need to make what consumers want, not whatever they feel like making. They are even ignoring the call for FF7 and instead remaking FF5. I have no sympathy for them at all.
No-one may have wanted 13-2 but it sold 3.1 million copies just by June 2012, so 'no-one wanting it' didn't stop them making a pile of cash selling it to people.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
as much as I would love a FF VII, FF IX remake, a FFT:WotL REAL sequel, Valkyrie Profile 3, etc. I really doubt SE will listen to its fans it'll just keep on doing what they think works, it won't belong until all that remains is what used to be Eidos, since they're the only one's making worth the while game now

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
The only ones wrecking SE profits are themselves. I am a huge FF fan who really has nothing to be excited over for a long time.

I would love a FF:WotL sequel or even part of the same story of WotL but from Delita's side instead of Ramza.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yes well, I see the problem. SE stopped releasing what the fans really wanted. To be honest reviews of FF XIII were mixed at best, along with criticisms that they were basically just trying to make movies and the gameplay got in the way. Their latest Final Fantasy MMO seemed to be an unmitigated disaster, and really, I've stopped looking forward to their titles as they move away from classic-style JRPGs developed to a AAA level and start focusing on cinematics and action games, leaving nostolgia to quick cash ins like that "All The Bravest" thing I've been hearing so much about the crazy monetization of given that it did little except reuse a bunch of old game sprites apparently.

Squeenix is a company that could easily get back on track, but it probably won't, because the guys running the show forecast that entirely differant things will be successful for them, than what will really work. Go back to RPGs, give me direct control of my party (none of this gambits or setting strategies and roles and watching), a world to explore as opposed to a hallway to walk down, and drop the political and social commentary, no matter how subtly indirect you think your being.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Hitman, Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, all good or looking good. How do these componies screw up so much? Hope they don't end up like THQ :(