Sectoids and Bandits Make Take-Two Financials Rosy

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sectoids and Bandits Make Take-Two Financials Rosy

Take-Two's never been more optimistic about its long-term prospects.

The success of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2 and NBA 2K13 has boosted Take-Two Interactive Software's bottom line significantly and, in Take-Two's analysis, the best is yet to come. Fiscal year 2014, says executive chair Strauss Zelnick, "should be one of our best years ever."

What with BioShock Infinite and Grand Theft Auto V on the horizon, Take-Two has every reason to be cheerful. Even old standbys like Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption are still contributing significantly to the bottom line, and what a line it is: a net income increase of 71%, to $375 million, of which catalog sales such as GTA IV made up 22%. Digital delivery is a hefty chunk of that net revenue increase, driven mainly by Borderlands 2 and catalog sales. Most of that income - about 60% - is coming from the United States, with international sales making up the rest.

"We are increasing the low end of our outlook range for fiscal 2013," says CFO Lainie Goldstein, "to reflect our strong recent business trends. We now expect non-GAAP revenue to range from $1.15 billion to $1.2 billion and non-GAAP net income to range from $0.05 to $0.20 per diluted share."

"You give people what they want, they come out for it," Zelnick concluded. "This quarter is living proof of that."

Source: Seeking Alpha [http://seekingalpha.com/article/1159001-take-two-interactive-software-s-ceo-discusses-q3-2013-earnings-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=1]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I can definitely see why they're doing good, and I'm glad for them. They've published some of the best games in recent years.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Karloff said:
The success of XCOM: Enemy Unknown
I hope everytime there's an article on the success of XCOM: EU, someone prints out a copy of it and staples it to Christoph 'strategy games aren't contemporary' Hartmann's office door.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
And to think, a couple years ago the words most associated with Take Two were vulnerable, hostile and take over.

Thank goodness that didn't happen.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Karloff said:
I hope everytime there's an article on the success of XCOM: EU, someone prints out a copy of it and staples it to Christoph 'strategy games aren't contemporary' Hartmann's office door.
or that guy at ea who thought that Syndicat wouldn't sell if it was a strategy game so they made it a shooter instead.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm honestly glad to hear this. With THQ gone, we need good publishers to prosper more than ever. This news accompanies by EA's financial issues make the forecast look good for decent publishers.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Good for Take Two. The company has taken risks which have payed off and made everybody happy in the process.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Make awesome games -> People buy awesome games -> Earn truckloads of money.

Seriously though, Take-Two has been releasing a lot of good games recently and there is more to come. I'm happy to pay them for their great work. Hooray!

Apr 28, 2008
This makes me happy. They release damn fine games. Games I'm not always interested in, mind you, but they're still pretty damn good. Glad to see that it's pay off for them.

RhombusHatesYou said:
Karloff said:
And then dump any extra copies on EA's lawn.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
So long as they keep putting out good games, I'll keep buying them. Xcom and Borderlands 2 were great. I look forward to playing through them again once my broken wrist heals enough for me to use a mouse for moderate periods of time.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Xcom was one of the best buy for the year for me, Borderlands 2 was "okay" for me but I was never a shooter fan. Still happy with my purchase though.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
With THQ out, I guess they're my favorite publisher now.

Good on 'em. Wouldn't mind if they re-evaluate their DLC strategy though.

Gaias

Apr 2, 2009
You know, I don't think I have ever read any really bad publicity for Take Two Interactive. Huh.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Gaias said:
You know, I don't think I have ever read any really bad publicity for Take Two Interactive. Huh.
You didn't see the flare up over the FPS Xcom game announcement, which was back before anyone knew Enemy Unknown existed.

Things got a little heated.

Then a little funny.