Cat Passes Go, Collects $200

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Cat Passes Go, Collects $200

The new addition to Monopoly's token family has been chosen.

Kitteh fans walked away with whatever loot happened to be stashed on Free Parking, and their own token, as the Iron - which has been in Monopoly since the 1930s - got the boot. Only 8% of those taking part in Hasbro's poll voted to keep the Iron in play, so it's been relegated to gaming history, while the Cat takes its rightful place on the board as Monopoly's newest token.

"While we're a bit sad to see the iron go," said Hasbro's Eric Nyman, "the cat token is a fantastic choice by the fans and we have no doubt it will become just as iconic as the original tokens." The other contenders for the new slot - the robot, diamond ring, guitar and helicopter - just didn't capture the imagination of four-legged murder machine [https://apps.facebook.com/saveyourtoken/] did.

The iron will go to Jail immediately, while the Cat will have to wait a very short while for its spot in the sun. The first Monopoly sets to feature the new token will arrive on store shelves mid-to-late 2013. Speaking as a Top Hat lover, I would like to take this opportunity to invite Kitteh on a whirlwind tour of the finest hotels in the city ... just so long as the Cat can afford the bill.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/06/monopoly-ditches-iron-counter-cat?INTCMP=SRCH]

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I'm imagening a depressed looking iron in a jail cell. It watches through the prison bars a Cat walking the same paths he had taken for decades with just a hint of a tear in its eye... and then he sees the cat murder his wife.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
First Monopoly, then the world! Our power and influence grow more powerful by the hour.

Soon you shall all be begging for mercy!

OT: I actually don't care much for Monopoly, but this almost makes me want to get a new board when it comes out >.>

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
This is a god damn travesty. Why didn't people vote for the thimble or something? WHY THE IRON?

You know what was cool about the Iron? It fit perfectly under the dog. Perfectly! That little Terrier could slide all around the board!

Calumon: He's lost his surfboard?

Dec 14, 2009
You don't put cash in Free Parking, goddamn it!

It's only ever meant to be a free space to land, because in the late game, nearly every space will cost money.

Think about it, why would a space called 'free parking' give you money?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
You don't put cash in Free Parking, goddamn it!

It's only ever meant to be a free space to land, because in the late game, nearly every space will cost money.

Think about it, why would a space called 'free parking' give you money?
I think its referring to the idea that taxes or $500 ends up there to be picked up as a bonus for landing there. Those are usually the house rules in many cases.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'm still not quite understanding why they had to remove a piece to begin with. I suppose they wanted to keep it even or something.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
'bout time we got a cat. I always used the dog, but now that there is a cat I'm gonna have to reconsider.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Au Revoir, humble Iron. You shall be remembered with honor. Welcome, Cat! You have big shoes to fill, so I hope you're up to the job.

'Course, this is still never going to settle the fights that erupt when more than one person wants to play the Race Car.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
"While we're a bit sad to see the iron go, the cat token is a fantastic choice by the fans and we have no doubt it will become just as iconic as the original tokens."
How cool is your job when you get to make press release statements like that?