D.I.C.E. 2013: Ouya CEO Hopes For New Gaming Experience

Encaen

May 6, 2005
D.I.C.E. 2013: Ouya CEO Hopes For New Gaming Experience

Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman, it turns out, really loves television.

You've no doubt heard of Ouya, the Kickstarter-funded console project that embedding Ouya in TVs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118982-Ouya-Kickstarter-Ends-with-900-of-Goal-Raised]. At her presentation at D.I.C.E. 2013, titled "Revenge of the TV," she makes her love of both television and Ouya pretty clear. "We all love television," she said early in the talk, "but we don't talk about it because it's not socially acceptable." I think this is fair, given how much time we collectively spend watching television as compared to, say, riding a bike, but you'll rarely see "TV" listed amongst somebody's hobbies.

Why do we love television, though? What drives this collective admiration? "It sucks you in," she explained on several occasions throughout the presentation. This core principle is largely what makes television so endearing - you can get lost in it. When you're watching your favorite show, or playing games on your television, you are fully immersed in the experience. "The best thing to do on a television is play games," she said, "We are no longer an observer, we are a participant. It's the great escape." But she insists that things need to change in the videogame space. Citing hundreds of millions of dollars in the budget for Grand Theft Auto V, Uhrman points out that people are not only unwilling, but entirely unable to make the big bets that lead to some of our favorite games.

So, "How do we stop the bleeding?" she asked, "We put the power back into the hands of the people that make things." This is just what they're looking to do at Ouya by making the SDK accessible, they're looking to empower everybody to make the great games that players want to see. Ultimately, their goal is to create a new experience in games for everybody, from developers to players, and they've proven that they have plenty of support, so what's next? We'll see come June whether the Ouya takes off in the wider market, and actually has the staying power to deliver a brand new gaming experience, or, as Julie put it, "do for games what cable television did for network television."

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I don't think playing Angry Birds on the Television is a new gaming experience.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Baldr said:
I don't think playing Angry Birds on the Television is a new gaming experience.
Good thing the Ouya isn't going to be for playing Angry Birds.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY DO?

I know this might seem a bit stupid of me but I actually dont understand what this thing is for....is it basically indie games on your TV? ok, thats cool I guess

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Any time some suit starts talking about "game experiences" or gaming as a "service" should be a redflag of things that are bad for gaming.

One started calling operating systems their "visions" and now we have Windows 8.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Encaen said:
Why do we love television, though? What drives this collective admiration? "It sucks you in," she explained on several occasions throughout the presentation. This core principle is largely what makes television so endearing - you can get lost in it. When you're watching your favorite show, or playing games on your television, you are fully immersed in the experience.
Wow at this wishy washy rubbish. It's a large screen. That's it. That's all it has going for it.

I get the same (or more) enjoyment viewing things on my PC monitor.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I don't 'love television'. I haven't in a long time, I don't even watch TV anymore. I watch DVD's, Blu-Rays and VHS, I watch videos on YouTube, videos on my PS3 via YouTube or Crackle.

TV rarely has the shows I want, doesn't let me pick what I want to watch whenever I want and let's not get started about the commercials. The 30 seconds adds on YouTube pale in comparison to the bloated "thing" that is commercials on TV.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
By bringing out a new ouya every year good idea.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/expect-new-ouya-console-every-year/