Conan O'Brien Calls His Cameo "The Highlight" of Halo 4

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Conan O'Brien Calls His Cameo "The Highlight" of Halo 4

The Clueless Gamer plays Halo 4 to shoot napping aliens on "Planet Ambien."

When we last saw Conan O'Brien's "Clueless Gamer," he was destroying nuns in Hitman: Absolution [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120656-Conan-OBrien-Enjoys-Killing-Nuns-in-Hitman-Absolution], which he called his favorite review game yet. Apparently, that hasn't changed his attitude towards videogames, and he reminds us all at the beginning of his latest "Clueless Gamer" sessions that he "kind of hate them." This time, Conan's taking on Halo 4, which is particularly interesting because he lent his vocal talents to the game. "I don't know where, I don't know how I appear, but obviously that's gonna be the highlight of the game," he says.

Conan looks exceptionally bored as his gaming partner explains the Halo mythology to him, showing just how ridiculous our hobby is to the outside world. After hearing about the sleeping aliens and AI partners, Conan moves on to his favorite part, shooting things. After blasting his way through the first few chapters of the game, he finds his cameo appearance with Andy Richter, noting, "Gamers must hate this. I'm talking about area rugs in their sacred game." Naturally, Conan's next move was to kill his character with an elbow to the face.

He praises Halo 4's "fantastic graphics" and the "absolutely gorgeous" Cortana, though his verdict on Halo 4's story and gameplay is unclear. At the very least, he seems able to handle a controller now, and it looks like he's having fun, showing some progress over the course of the last few "Clueless Gamer" sessions.

Source: Team Coco [http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-halo4]

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I can't put my finger on it being just odd or really sad that all the entertainment veterans got left up their sleeve is imitating low end youtube stars.

But honestly this is some of the shittest LP-ing you can find.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
The best part is the longer this runs the less he will be able to say he is an outsider.......... Join us..... Join us...... Join us......

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I love this show... I've recently began playing Halo 4, and while YES the graphics are beautiful and the scenario is sometimes jaw-dropping, the game in itself, that whole run and gun thing, sorta mindless and all is... disappointing, the only Halo game I loved so far was Halo: Reach, maybe because it played so little like the other games lol. Well, but I also figure I've got no right to complain, it does what it does very well, can't blame Halo for being Halo lol

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
slash2x said:
The best part is the longer this runs the less he will be able to say he is an outsider.......... Join us..... Join us...... Join us......
Yes he must JOOOOIIIIN USSSSSSS JOOOOIIIIIN USSSSSSSSSS JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I think we may be missing a potential opportunity here: he just proved that video games don't turn people into killers, and that they are not "target practice," as one CNN reporter put it. Walked up to the two characters that he and Andy voiced, then punched his character in the face, and then shot Andy's. His mind was obviously able to dissociate the two characters from real people, even when they had voices of people he knew.

As for "target practice," I'd say he'd have an easier time with a real rifle than he had with that controller.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
I actually found that kind of funny.
slash2x said:
This is so true, he has to actually grasp some things soon.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Conan's 'Planet Ambien' observation is pretty spot on.

[/spoiler]

That was funny, as usual. I wonder how long Conan can do these game reviews until he actually starts getting good at playing them.

Also, I did NOT know Conan provided a voice for the game. He should do that more.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
I love his Clueless Gamer sketches, because of how they reveal an outsider's perspective of gaming as a hobby. If the mechanics make no sense (see his review of the Michael Phelps game and his reaction to "swimming too fast"), or the interface is counter-intuitive (Minecraft) or how engine limitations can break immersion ("badass guy with gun stopped by overturned chair" - RE6), only the absolutely clueless will point it out.

He doesn't see those things as "just the way things are" like your average gamer, he sees a problem that games need to fix.

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Scribblesense said:
I love his Clueless Gamer sketches, because of how they reveal an outsider's perspective of gaming as a hobby. If the mechanics make no sense (see his review of the Michael Phelps game and his reaction to "swimming too fast"), or the interface is counter-intuitive (Minecraft) or how engine limitations can break immersion ("badass guy with gun stopped by overturned chair" - RE6), only the absolutely clueless will point it out.

He doesn't see those things as "just the way things are" like your average gamer, he sees a problem that games need to fix.
This is why I find this series so interesting! The things we take for granted are totally foreign to Conan and other non-gamers, and it's neat to take a step back and look at gaming from another perspective.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Not available in my country huh, well I used a proxy to watched the video.

Anyway I thought it was pretty funny.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
This, his Hitamn video and Resident Evil 6 video were almost fascinating, and gave me a new respect for triple-A action games. For some reason. Would love to watch him play Dead Space 3!

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Mr.K. said:
I can't put my finger on it being just odd or really sad that all the entertainment veterans got left up their sleeve is imitating low end youtube stars.
Huh? Can you say that again a bit more coherently?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Conan O'Brien elbowing Conan O'Brien in the face might just be one of my favorite things ever. :D

I'm loving this series. I hope it keeps going for a while.