Activision Blocks North Korean Propaganda Video

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Activision Blocks North Korean Propaganda Video

It seems the North Korean government is a fan of Modern Warfare 3.

If you didn't get a chance to check out North Korea's interesting propaganda video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121909-North-Korea-Blasts-US-With-We-Are-The-World-Missiles] earlier this week, you may have a hard time finding it today. The video has been yanked from YouTube and many other popular video sites after Activision discovered that the clip used cinematic footage from Modern Warfare 3.

During the confusing video montage released by the North Korean government, a New York City skyline is shown under attack. A caption shown during the destruction eludes to the U.S. crumbling. Unfortunately for North Korea, the footage isn't real, but instead was lifted from a cinematic sequence in Activision's popular shooter series.

It's unclear what North Korea attempted to accomplish with the video - as most of the country lacks electricity [http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/dramatic-satellite-photo-shows-north-korea-near-total-013138805.html], much less computers to actually view the clip - but the North Korean government clearly underestimated the might of U.S. copyright law. Huzzah! The system works!

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21351051]

Dec 14, 2009
Does anyone even recognise North Korea as a threat?

Hell, they plunge half the country into deeper poverty every time they try and show off their military might, it's not like the-

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MikeWehner said:
It's unclear what North Korea attempted to accomplish with the video - as most of the country lacks electricity [http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/dramatic-satellite-photo-shows-north-korea-near-total-013138805.html], much less computers to actually view the clip
I loled at this part because its like something that you would see North Korea saying about the U.S.

Apr 28, 2008
That's hilarious. Though it would've been funnier if they used footage from Homefront.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well played Activision. Well played.

Honestly I wouldn't want footage from my game being used as propoganda by crazy dictattorships.

Unless it was propogando for how Fidel Castro is actually the worlds luckiest man.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Considering how North Korea usually acts like that guy at the bar who talks big about himself and wants to fight everyone around him, the video was probably them saying "This is your face after I take you outside and beat the shit out of you." and while I personally think it's inevitable that North Korea will try and make good on its words at some point, this was a poorly made attempt to scare the US. Not so much propaganda for the Korean people but against the Americans.

It's pretty funny if you ask me.

Calumon: Maybe they should stop playing games and give people something to eat. : (

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Irridium said:
That's hilarious. Though it would've been funnier if they used footage from Homefront.
Speaking of Homefront, why didn't they just used that game? I mean it's one of the forms of media depicting that they actually won. Hmmm But then again its North Korea.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Does anyone even recognise North Korea as a threat?

Hell, they plunge half the country into deeper poverty every time they try and show off their military might, it's not like the-

I was wondering how long until one of those would end up on here. Then I scrolled down.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
josemlopes said:
MikeWehner said:
It's unclear what North Korea attempted to accomplish with the video - as most of the country lacks electricity [http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/dramatic-satellite-photo-shows-north-korea-near-total-013138805.html], much less computers to actually view the clip
I loled at this part because its like something that you would see North Korea saying about the U.S.
Seriously though, who was this even aimed at? The subjects who live there who actually even have computers (and electricity) are only able to access the national intranet, Kwangmyong, and outside access is illegal except for government use. So, North Koreans couldn't actually watch this, and to anyone other than North Koreans it's a hilarious joke.

What I'm really wondering is this- As the old guard in their government die off or retire, at what point do the people who've grown up indoctrinated begin to run the country actually believing all the propaganda they were brought up on? That's a scary thought if you think about it. The current leader was likely brought up with that skewed world view, and the nation having no access to what the outside is actually like... wow, likely within a few decades we'll have a xenophobic communist military dictatorship run solely by those who were indoctrinated and grew up on the extreme propaganda of their parents' generation. So, will they run the country, and make decisions, based on that propaganda as fact? Scary.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Antonio Torrente said:
Irridium said:
Speaking of Homefront, why didn't they just used that game? I mean it's one of the forms of media depicting that they actually won. Hmmm But then again its North Korea.
Using a game with such a low metacritic score would tarnish their otherwise fantastic reputation.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
tangoprime said:
josemlopes said:
MikeWehner said:
Seriously though, who was this even aimed at? The subjects who live there who actually even have computers (and electricity) are only able to access the national intranet, Kwangmyong, and outside access is illegal except for government use. So, North Koreans couldn't actually watch this, and to anyone other than North Koreans it's a hilarious joke.

What I'm really wondering is this- As the old guard in their government die off or retire, at what point do the people who've grown up indoctrinated begin to run the country actually believing all the propaganda they were brought up on? That's a scary thought if you think about it. The current leader was likely brought up with that skewed world view, and the nation having no access to what the outside is actually like... wow, likely within a few decades we'll have a xenophobic communist military dictatorship run solely by those who were indoctrinated and grew up on the extreme propaganda of their parents' generation. So, will they run the country, and make decisions, based on that propaganda as fact? Scary.
You mean like the US, UK, Australia and every other country on earth grows up believing that their past generations taught them and follow in their wake? NK is no creditable threat, it just likes to feel big, especially its leader.

captcha - let's eat. Good idea captcha, *nomomomom*

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
RicoADF said:
tangoprime said:
josemlopes said:
MikeWehner said:

You mean like the US, UK, Australia and every other country on earth grows up believing that their past generations taught them and follow in their wake? NK is no creditable threat, it just likes to feel big, especially its leader.

captcha - let's eat. Good idea captcha, *nomomomom*
Wrong. It is a credible threat, to it's own people.

In case you missed it, my point was- there will now be an entire generation of leaders brought up on the propaganda that will make them honestly believe the whole world is out to eat their children and they'll continue being stuck in their little bubble of cold war paranoia that they can't afford, and their people will continue to literally starve to death because of it.

The rest of the world can see how silly their propaganda is, and it's pretty much at the point of 'oh north koreans... *sigh*', but to them, it's completely serious, they believe it, and they're brought up surrounded by it and no other means to learn about the world. It's tragic, and kind of unprecedented in the modern world- they're more censored than Iran, Cuba, or even Myanmar, and have been under that kind of censorship for way longer. So yeah, not really in the same ballpark as your US/Aus/UK comment.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Does this mean that Activision is more powerful than North Korea?

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Legion said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Irridium said:
Using a game with such a low metacritic score would tarnish their otherwise fantastic reputation.
Yeah like their "fantastic" reputation isn't tarnished enough.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Legion said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Irridium said:
70 is a low score? The more you know I guess. :/