Rayman Legends Goes Multiplatform

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Rayman Legends Goes Multiplatform

Ubisoft's follow-up to Rayman Origins has been delayed once again, this time until fall 2013.

Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends is no longer, um, exclusive. Ubisoft's sequel to Rayman Origins, which was announced for the Wii U pushed to February 2013 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012/9671-E3-Ubisoft-Brings-the-Noise-Zombies], which is, according to my sources, the month we are in right now. That means the wait is almost over, right? Well, no, because the Wii U version of Rayman Legends has been delayed until September, when it will also launch for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

In a press release, EMEA Chief Marketing and Sales Officer Geoffrey Sardin cited fan demand as the reason for the multiplatform switch. "We heard from many Xbox and Playstation owners and Rayman fans who told us they really wanted to play Rayman Legends on their current system," he said, adding that Ubisoft wanted to give fans what they wanted while "broadening the audience" for Legends.

For Xbox 360 and PS3 owners, this is probably good news, though it's unfortunate for early Wii U adopters. Seeing the former exclusive go multiplatform isn't nearly as big a blow as having to wait another six months to get it. By the time it launches, Rayman Legends will have been pushed back almost a year from its original date. Hopefully that's the end of delays for the limbless hero, and Legends will hit the non-specific "early September" release noted in Ubisoft's press release.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ah, someone at Ubisoft has realised that exlusives arent the way to rebiulding a platforming franchise.

They may well go far in this industry.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
awwwww no pc release? I preordered rayman origins on steam (great game). Here's hoping they change their mind eventually.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
On one hand, I'm glad the game is coming to a console I actually own. On the other hand, there goes one of my reasons to get a Wii U.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
gigastar said:
Ah, someone at Ubisoft has realised that exlusives arent the way to rebiulding a platforming franchise.

You do realise that if it were to become the norm for all consoles to no longer have exclusives then there would be more drama and chaos coming from the console and PC crowd over who's got the best graphics, peripherals right?.

I mean I'm still getting a Wii U and this game but let's face it when something like this happens a large ugly crowd of the opposite platform is going to come shit on something like the Wii U.

Even when they haven't bought and played the damn thing and given it a proper chance and try.

Apart from that I don't mind this at all but something bad will come from it I can tell you that.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
I'm really disappointed in Ubisoft for doing this. I have no problem with the game going multiplatform, as I expected that anyhow, but delaying the release of a highly anticipated exclusive near the end of Nintendo's fiscal year is nothing short of a jerk move. If the game was already finished, they could have released it for the Wii U this month as planned.

Ubisoft probably lost a few friends they had working at Nintendo.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
They changed their mind even before the game's release.
I hope this is an early sign that we see even more multi-platform titles in the next gen.

"We heard from many Xbox and Playstation owners and Rayman fans who told us they really wanted to play Rayman Legends on their current system," he said, adding that Ubisoft wanted to give fans what they wanted while "broadening the audience" for Legends.
Sounds like a win/win for Ubisoft.
Give fans what they want and make money doing it, a strange concept to some developers.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
gigastar said:

You do realise that if it were to become the norm for all consoles to no longer have exclusives then there would be more drama and chaos coming from the console and PC crowd over who's got the best graphics, peripherals right?.

I mean I'm still getting a Wii U and this game but let's face it when something like this happens a large ugly crowd of the opposite platform is going to come shit on something like the Wii U.

Even when they haven't bought and played the damn thing and given it a proper chance and try.

Apart from that I don't mind this at all but something bad will come from it I can tell you that.
As long as Nintendo keeps making games, their systems will always have exclusives. You won't ever find a Zelda game on a system created by Sony or Microsoft. Personally I'll be buying a Wii U regardless, because of the Xeno game and the Fire Emblem/ Shin Megami Tensei cross-over.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I can't say I'm surprised in the slightest. I'm glad actually. I loved Origins.
I have even less want for a Wii U now though

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Hey guys, Vita version? How about Cross-Controller like the Wii U does, LBP2 has it so having it on here would be awesome too. Hell, even use SmartGlass on the 360 version as well.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
As happy as I am that I can play it, I am more sad, because I want Nintendo to succeed as much as possible, and this was one of their flagship exclusives.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Megacherv said:
Hey guys, Vita version? How about Cross-Controller like the Wii U does, LBP2 has it so having it on here would be awesome too. Hell, even use SmartGlass on the 360 version as well.
Yeah I really hope for a Vita version as well. Rayman Origins not only played great on the Vita but the graphics really shined on the platform.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Well, thank fuck for that! I love Rayman but I can't afford a Wii-U.

This can only be good: We get a game without forking over so much money and now Nintendo actually have to start being creative about how they sell the Wii-U. Maybe they can make NEW games that are exclusive to their console. Or offer a service that the others don't provide.

As for PC, It'd be weird if it wasn't on there. It was probably just not mentioned in the press release because they forgot. As much as I think you guys can be (CAN BE) total snobs, you do get a lot of shit like people forgetting to mention ya. It'll be on PC.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
scorptatious said:
On one hand, I'm glad the game is coming to a console I actually own. On the other hand, there goes one of my reasons to get a Wii U.
Indeed... Pikmin 3 is about the only reason I have to get it now.