Daylight Promises Random Scares

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Daylight Promises Random Scares

Explore a procedurally-generated asylum in bite-size horror game, Daylight.

How many horror games can shock you on your second, third or fourth playthrough? Even the scariest game eventually succumbs to familiarity. Well, Daylight, an upcoming horror title from the unimaginatively-named, Zombie Studios, promises a fresh set of scares in each half-hour play through.

Mechanically, the game seems to be borrowing from first-person, shriek-em-ups like Amnesia and Slender. You take on the role of a young woman who wakes up in the ruins of an asylum. Armed only with a cell phone that acts as a compass, a UV lamp and a Silent Hill-esque monster detector, you're tasked with exploring the asylum, avoiding phantoms and putting together a fragmented backstory. The core gimmick is that the asylum's layout is randomly generated each playthrough, and the player will have to make multiple trips through its musty halls to get the full story.

"Different players will have a totally different experience," said Zombie head (heh), Jared Gerritzen. "You're essentially a rat in a cage, but the cage is an asylum and it's scary as hell. You need to find your way out, and each time you do it it's completely different."

Depending on the strength of the writing, Daylight could be a solid entry in the horror genre, which seems to be undergoing somewhat of a renaissance as of late. The game is being written by frequent IGN contributor and professional PSP-taster, Jessica Chobot.

"Over the course of that time, depending on how long you decide to play and what you find, it opens up the concept of the world a little more, the backstory, what your involvement is in it, how you find yourself here and whatnot," she told IGN. "So instead of finding the same item over and over again and saying 'I'm not going to bother reading this piece of paper because I've seen it a thousand times,' it's different every time."

Daylight is using the Unreal 4 engine and is currently set for release on PC in Q3 2013. Zombie Studios has already managed to sneak the game past the gatekeepers at Valve, so it'll be appearing on Steam directly rather than going through Greenlight. The game will apparently cost "$20 or less," but it's also supposed to be episodic. It's not clear if that $20 nets you just the first chapter or the entire "season."

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/zombie-studios-unveils-unreal-engine-4-game-daylight]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Looking forward to it... I just hope it won't boil down to jumpscares. It has a lot of potential, though.

Captcha: "halp meh" lolcat is scared and stuck in the asylum?

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
if this turns out to be as good as amnesia, with non scripted scares then i'm totally onboard but if it's just a sandbox with some abloogy monsters roaming around that occasionally stare at you then.. well.

ill be keeping an eye out for this one

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Please do not let this suck. I had a mid range computer from 1999 unchanged to 2005 and during that time I could only imagine what modern games were like (I gave them waaaaaay to much credit) and this game fits the bill of my uninformed imagination eight years ago. Let us see if the world is ready for a detailed procedurally generated experience. (note detailed)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Random placement to the point that i have to replay the game to get the full story? no thanks. this is a game to skip.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
This was a good article until it got to two words: "Jessica Chobot."

Then it became a comedy article.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds interesting. but reading episodic, is already a turn off. i rather have the whole lot.