Daikatana Comes to GOG.com

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Daikatana Comes to GOG.com

The infamous shooter that tarnished John Romero's reputation can now be sucked down on Windows 8.

Before Duke Nukem Forever, there was Daikatana. The brainchild of John Romero and Ion Storm, Daikatana was supposed to be the next big thing in PC gaming. Three years after its planned release, gamers finally sat down to discover out-of-date graphics, incompetent AI companions, and artificially limited level saves. Coupled with a marketing campaign that promised <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100748-John-Romero-Apologizes-for-Trying-to-Make-You-His-*****>to make us John Romero's *****, the game found itself reviled even by fans of Romero's work. Now the infamous PC shooter has found a home with GOG.com, where today's gamers can decide for themselves whether Daikatana was a misunderstood gem, or honestly deserves all the hatred heaped upon it.

To be fair, Daikatana did have an interesting story going for it. In the year 2455 AD, the evil Kage Mishima has used a magical sword, the Daikatana, to alter time and conquer the planet. The player takes control of Hiro Miyamoto, a young man who remembers how things once were, and travels through time and space to set things right. Along the way, Miyamoto and his partners defeat Mishma's monsters in Ancient Greece, Medieval Norway, and Near-Future Los Angeles before returning to 2455 for a final showdown.

Although I've never played Daikatana myself, I can't help but feel conflicted about this re-release. On the one hand, even if the game had launched in 1997, it would likely still be a broken disappointment. Gamers appear to agree on this point, since at the time of writing, the PC version <a href=http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/197031-john-romeros-daikatana/faqs>doesn't even warrant its own GameFAQ. On the other hand, that trailer doesn't look half-bad. While the levels could certainly use a wider color palate, the monster designs are really interesting and the whole thing has a classic Unreal vibe to it. If it weren't for the lack of gameplay footage, I'd probably be trying it right now.

At the very least, I have to admire GOG.com for making the infamous title available so we can decide for ourselves. Daikatana can now be purchased for $5.99 on the website, where it is available on all modern versions of Windows.

<a href=http://www.gog.com/news/release_daikatana>GOG.com

Oct 22, 2011
$5.99 for opportunity to experience one of the biggest letdowns in history of PC gaming? Meh, i'll pass... 'til some sale maybe.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I might pick it up out of morbid curiosity... I have an affinity for extremely bad games and movies.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Well, this is a good start. You can't go wrong with accessible source material if you want to remake one of the biggest alleged turds in this industry.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I thought GoG stood for Good old Games not God 'orrible Garbage.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Stryc9 said:
I thought GoG stood for Good old Games not God 'orrible Garbage.
It used to but they rebranded themselves some time ago when they started selling new games. GOG.com just stands for GOG.com now.

Eternal Visitor

Sep 14, 2010
sometimes it's good to see where things went wrong. word of mouth is one thing, seeing it for yourself is another. it's good that they're preserving a bit of gaming history, even if it is a wart.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
I might pick it up out of morbid curiosity... I have an affinity for extremely bad games and movies.
Hahaha, yeah. My thoughts exactly. At this point Daikatana really is a gaming culture relic, and it's kind of cool to be able to experience it first hand. A bit like watching an old Star Trek episode or playing Street Fighter 2 on a cabinet again.

Just covering my back here: Star Trek and Street Fighter aren't bad, just examples of pop culture relics. Phew. Bullet dodged :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I have an affinity for bad entertainment that tries too hard, so I'll probably try this at some point. Maybe I'll track down the Dopefish sightings.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Do they already have E.T. and Pac-man for the atari 2600 yet? If not, that's next on the list!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I already own the original game, which I purchased on release, with my allowance, thinking from the cover that it had Samurais in it. That purchase taught me many, many things about life and the universe.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
No. No, I am not willingly putting myself through this again. Nope, not ever. Screw you, John Romero. I was just getting into games at the time and you made me into a cynical little bastard. I was like, nine! This game changed me man, made me a worse person. Not going to relive that.

I mean shit. That was the first time ever that my mum was right when she said "You probably won't like it."

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
VanQQisH said:
I mean shit. That was the first time ever that my mum was right when she said "You probably won't like it."
You have an oddly observant mother

Did she do that with most games, or what's the story behind her saying that?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Norrdicus said:
VanQQisH said:
You have an oddly observant mother

Did she do that with most games, or what's the story behind her saying that?
That was her way of hinting that she didn't want to spend the money on a game she didn't know the name of. She was worried that if it didn't have Crash Bandicoot or some other name she had heard from my collection that I wouldn't like it. Which was never true until... that game happened.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, my friend got it and we starting playing it. simply crap. was frustrating to play. my friend played it more at home and he gave up on it few days later.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I already bought it years ago. I didn't know what horrors I would be facing. It just makes me sick thinking about it.

I hope that all of the young gamers here who cry about Mass Effect 3 being the worst game ever get to play this game from start to finish.

I have no idea why GOG would bother with it. Maybe they just want to have every game possible.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Credossuck said:
Doom972 said:
I already bought it years ago. I didn't know what horrors I would be facing. It just makes me sick thinking about it.

I hope that all of the young gamers here who cry about Mass Effect 3 being the worst game ever get to play this game from start to finish.

I have no idea why GOG would bother with it. Maybe they just want to have every game possible.
Well you must underatand the procurement process behind this particular game:

GoG went to the current holder of the license and kindly offered to take this cursed piece of cthulhuware for the marginal fee of his life savings, wife and firstborn daughter because fck sons why would you pick those over the booty?

Since they bow have the fabled cursed relic and thy got it bascially for free, they now want to cash in on peoples morbid curiosity. They priced it in exactly that sweetspot of "this amount of money ios insignificant to most people" and "but it will still look good in our balance sheet!".

Remember, GOG is only a slight modification away from Godawful Old Games!
I actually thought that they put a price on it instead of making it free in order to minimize psychological trauma, but your explanation makes much more sense.