Is That The Slender Man Over There?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Is That The Slender Man Over There?

Footage from Blue Isle Studios' Slender reimagining is out ... but do you dare watch it?

Blue Isle Studios and Slender [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9876-Slender-Review] creator Mark Hadley's expanded Slender: The Arrival is due very soon and, to give you an idea of what might be out in those dark woods, a short snippet of beta footage has sneaked out of the shadows. Just don't look too closely at what may, or may not, be off in the corner of your eye, and you'll be fine. Well, you might be fine. Actually, scratch that ...

The original survivor horror independent title Slender was released for free, but this will be FAQ [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119732-Slender-Man-Returns-to-PC-for-Commercial-Release] proclaims.

Though there will be more to do this time, and some gameplay variation, the basic plot remains the same. It's just you, the forest, and ... well, Something Else [http://poemsintranslation.blogspot.com/2010/04/goethe-elvenking-from-german.html]. If all goes according to plan, this should see release on March 26th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390274/blog/terrify-yourself-slender-the-arrival-gameplay-demo-emerges/]

felbot

May 11, 2011
and now cue the million of people making lets plays of this game while screaming like the cowards they are.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I really didn't get the hype for the game, everyone was doing Let's Play videos of it and screaming like sissies but it really wasn't particularly scary.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Looks quite good, but still will only be scary the first, maybe second time. Also, I can't be the only one that was bothered by the angle the arm was holding the flashlight, right? I mean it looks like his/her's shoulders are taller than where the camera is.

Also, the sound assets are quite nice from what I can tell. Some make a return from the free version (the booming bass drum and static), which gave me pause for concern first time I heard them. But I guess you have to connect games somehow and sounds are one valid option.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Yeah, I can throw $5 at what could turn out to be a really good horror game. Even if it's just decent it should still be what I'm looking for. I love me some horror games and I love what the indie scene is doing for horror games.

None of those lazy jump scares like in modern AAA horror titles. As much as I love Dead Space, I still think it's wrong to market it as a horror title.

uchytjes said:
Also, the sound assets are quite nice from what I can tell. Some make a return from the free version (the booming bass drum and static), which gave me pause for concern first time I heard them. But I guess you have to connect games somehow and sounds are one valid option.
Staticcy (I know that's not a word) sound is one of the main stays of the Slenderman lore and backstory. The whole "electronics go on the fritz when he's nearby" shtick.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
felbot said:
and now cue the million of people making lets plays of this game while screaming pretending to be scared and making fucking retarded noises like the attention whores they are.
Fixed that for you.
But yeah, I can't see this game having an all too positive effect on my "not wanting to kill people" scale.

Hell, Slender isn't even scary. It's Dead Space "scary". Tense for a bit and startling, sure, but not scary.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
So I just watched the video and even if you manage to collect all 8 pages you still get raped it seems :/
Looks better than the free version obviously, but I'll wait until more gameplay other than collecting pages.

Coop with 1 friend would be amazing as well.

CAPTCHA: fools gold
Brb calling Mario

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The map design looks as basic as it can get though, and Slender needs some cool effects around him to make him less "there" kind of like the Alan Wake enemies

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
felbot said:
and now cue the million of people making lets plays of this game while screaming like the cowards they are.
People are cowards for being scared by a game?

Sense not that does make.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
So it's basically the free one but with better graphics? Pass.

Scared me the first 2 times and lost it's novelty after that. Still holding out for A Machine for Pigs

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
hazabaza1 said:
felbot said:
and now cue the million of people making lets plays of this game while screaming pretending to be scared and making fucking retarded noises like the attention whores they are.
Fixed that for you.
But yeah, I can't see this game having an all too positive effect on my "not wanting to kill people" scale.
You're view of people who do LPs of Slender Man games seems rather... narrow.
Was that a pun?
I think that was a pun.

Mr.-3

Mar 30, 2011
I must ask has the developer ever even been in the woods? The soundtrack a visuals really failed to capture what it is like being alone in the woods. Where is the crushing sense of aloneness with only rare odd noises from unknown directions, were is the level of darkness in which even a flash light has trouble illuminating. Lastly is that really the bad guy or just a placeholder for the real one? He feels a little to out of place. FYI my outdoors credentials comes as someone who grow up out in a forested area.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
I do not like the way this version fucks with the camera. The "snow" was perfectly fine. Once the camera starts jumping around like that it is hard to tell what is going on. I'm not paying 5 dollars to be hindered in game play.

felbot

May 11, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:
felbot said:
People are cowards for being scared by a game?

Sense not that does make.
a coward is someone who is scared of a lot of non scary things, at least in my personal definition. hence forth yes i do consider people who got scared by slender man cowards.

they're hardly the worst example though, there's people who are afraid of killing floor, that's a new level of cowardice.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
I'm more excited by the fact the story was made the Marble Hornets [http://www.youtube.com/user/MarbleHornets] guys. That'll be interesting. But I wonder if there will be more than one entity. If you look at all the Youtube series, there's plenty different monsters to be freaked out by.

So can we please get a Rake cameo?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
hmm, looks ok, but what would make it great is a 2 player co-op, online pvp multi-player, and a micro transaction system.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Doesn't sound nearly as scary as the first one. It seems like a lot of people didn't find the original too terrifying, but I certainly did, and this version seems like a more polished and less terrifying version. Not enough static, I think.