Duke Nukem 3D+ Headed for Steam

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Duke Nukem 3D+ Headed for Steam

Everyone's favorite belligerent badass is going back to his roots for a Steam re-release.

Ok, so Duke Nukem Forever turned out to be less than stellar, but let's not forget how much fun the franchise's earlier titles were. A small studio call Devolver Digital certainly seems to remember Duke's glory days, and the company is now teasing a new, Steam-compatible version of the original Duke Nukem 3D, complete with some unspecified new features.

The developer's official Twitter account teased the reveal, noting that it's a "side project" that the company is currently involved in. A short video clip accompanied the announcement, showing some gameplay from Duke Nukem 3D, along with a short glimpse at the game's Steam page, complete with achievement icons.

"It's got some new bells and whistles plus full Steamworks support," Devolver tweeted after the reveal. "More on that later though."

No further information has been divulged, but just knowing that a classic Duke Nukem re-release is in the works should be enough to make veteran PC gamers all nostalgic with glee.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/statuses/301389086227312640]

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
zidine100 said:
.. its going to be duke 3d IN 3D.

that joke had to be done.
Honestly, when I first saw "3D+" that's what I thought it was going to be. Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
At worst it's the original game just with achievements, mouse + WASD control and Steam Servers for Dukematch.

At best it's that fan-made remake coming back to the surface.

I'll like the game either way.

Kai Holwerda

Mar 26, 2011
Let's ask money for an OpenGL port of Duke Nukem 3D. Just because there aren't any OpenGL ports of Duke3d at all!

Durrsly

Feb 13, 2013
Already got the Atomic edition from GOG, if this has Steam deathmatch, I'll get it.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I'll only get this through steam if it has online multiplayer since I already own it through gog, and that one was free.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
If it includes all of the expansions (Duke DC, Zero Hour, etc) and a new multiplayer system, it might be worthwhile.
It's going to be hard for it to compete with GOG's free version otherwise.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I played Atomic Edition from Gog on eDuke32 source port thingie. I really recommend eduke, it significantly sharpens the game up for modern eyes and smooths out the controls, particularly in terms of mouse aim. I'd say anyone playign Duke Nukem today, that would be a must.

It's pretty damn good, not great and of course the graphics are basic-tastic.

The important thing I think it it gets so many little things right that almost every FPS game released this day gets wrong.

And just as good graphics can't make a bad game good, this game is still good not just in spite of but BECAUSE of its graphics, they suit the level of violence and tone and so on.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Doom972 said:
If it includes all of the expansions (Duke DC, Zero Hour, etc) and a new multiplayer system, it might be worthwhile.
Zero Hour I doubt as it's been a long time since that was just an N64 release. It's quite a very separate game from a separate developer using a unique engine.

And I'd say extra content or something would have to be a MUST considering Duke Nukem 3D is free with Gog.

I doubt it includes any other actual games, as it's explicitly "Duke Nukem 3D" not "Duke Nukem Anthology" or anything like that. I think a likely thing is the extra content that found it's way to Duke Nukem 64 (a port of DN3D) yet without the censorship that was slapped on the N64 version.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Treblaine said:
Doom972 said:
Zero Hour I doubt as it's been a long time since that was just an N64 release. It's quite a very separate game from a separate developer using a unique engine.

And I'd say extra content or something would have to be a MUST considering Duke Nukem 3D is free with Gog.

I doubt it includes any other actual games, as it's explicitly "Duke Nukem 3D" not "Duke Nukem Anthology" or anything like that. I think a likely thing is the extra content that found it's way to Duke Nukem 64 (a port of DN3D) yet without the censorship that was slapped on the N64 version.
I meant to say Nuclear Winter, but for some reason I wrote Zero Hour. I only meant expansions to Duke Nukem 3D, not completely different games.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Triforceformer said:
At worst it's the original game just with achievements, mouse + WASD control and Steam Servers for Dukematch.

At best it's that fan-made remake coming back to the surface.

I'll like the game either way.
At best it's the game I loved so much and sunk hours of my childhood and teenage years while everyone else was out playing ball and having sex with girls (respectively) exactly as it is with mouse + WASD and Steam Servers for Dukematch.

At worst it's some shitty remake to try to 'modernize' the game.