EA Expects New Consoles Aren't Backwards Compatible

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA Expects New Consoles Aren't Backwards Compatible

A lack of backwards compatibility could mean that this console generation is far from over.

Backwards compatibility has been common for modern consoles ever since optical discs became the gaming delivery system of choice. For gamers, this is a good thing, as it provides customers with access to an extended library of launch titles while ensuring that classic system owners can play their games years later. In that context, launching a console with backwards comparability seems like a no-brainer. EA's chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen, on the other hand, is of the opinion that we probably shouldn't expect it for this upcoming generation. If that's the case, Jorgensen predicts that current generation sales will remain strong well into 2014.

"The reality is, is that fiscal year 2014 will still be a fairly large [current generation] if there's a console business that comes in at the tail end of the year," Jorgensen says. "An important thing to remember is that next-gen consoles will most likely not be backwards compatible ... and if you [play] multiplayer on a game, you'll most likely not be able to play with someone on a different generation."

Jorgensen is likely referring <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116541-Rumor-Next-PlayStation-Coming-in-Late-2013>to rumors that backwards compatibility would not be included in the PS4, which is a valid concern. Given how prominent online components are to modern games, full backwards compatibility would require console publishers to account for cross-play between systems, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119076-Sony-Announces-Cross-Buy>which is more complicated than simply giving away select Vita versions. For this reason, Jorgensen expects most EA players won't feel the need to upgrade their systems for another full year after the new consoles launch.

Jorgensen uses sports games, one of EA's biggest markets, to make his case. "A lot of our titles are built around sports calendars," Jorgensen explains, "And so a FIFA, a Madden, an NCAA, an NHL title, all come out aligned with the sports calendar. And if a next-gen console doesn't come out until next Christmas, most people won't wait ... If they all hold on and continue to play on third-generation, you'll probably not see that box purchase until after the soccer season's over."

In the long run, Jorgensen believes this is beneficial, because it will allow EA to generate profits simultaneously across two console generations. Perhaps he's right, but it could just as easily stall the growth of a new console generation as it faces competition from the Steam Box, Ouya, and ever-dying PC platform. We'll hopefully find out a little more on the prospects of backwards compatibility <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121823-Sony-Teases-Possible-PlayStation-4-Announcement>when Sony makes its might-be-a-console-announcement on February 20th.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186504/EAs_money_man_spills_the_beans_on_its_nextgen_plans.php>Gamasutra, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-13-ea-next-gen-consoles-will-most-likely-not-be-backwards-compatible>Eurogamer

Nov 28, 2007
He has a point, if the rumors about no backwards compatibility turn out to be true. I'm certainly not going to rush out to buy the new Xbox console if all my Xbox 360 games can't be played on it. I don't have room in my room for many consoles, so I'd be getting rid of my 360 to get the new console. But I won't give up all my games and start my library over from scratch.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
God I hope Sony and Microsoft don't do this. It seems like a very simple way to fuck themselves over, cause I'm sure as hell not buying whatever-the-hell-the-next-Xbox-is-called if I can't play all my old games on it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Oh goody. One last reason for me to hate the heavy online focus of this generation. We'll get to look forward to Sony and Microsoft reselling previous-gen games on PSN and XBL, or maybe we can even look forward to them trying to justify the Uncharted Trilogy or Gears of War Trilogy discs in a couple years.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Mario Galaxy on my WiiU and Dawn of War on my laptop. Because I can.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I hate to say it, but if the rumors are true, I will certainly not purchase a next-gen console. We've been trying to figure out how to monetize the internet for 22 years, and sadly, we've been going down this avenue for the past ten or so. The only way to really be heard is to speak with your dollars...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Engineering the backwards compatibility out of the ps3 with the blunt question of "do you really want backwards compatibility?" as "justification" made me not get the no brainer purchase the ps3 otherwise would have been.
Perhaps kicking loyal customers with your feet is "financially beneficial" in the short run but I do not see the benefit long-term.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
well the ps3 to ps2 backwards compatibility was a limitation of the hardware but am i wrong in assuming that current technology should have far outpaced current gen consoles by now? if they have the ability to do software emulation and they don't include it it would seriously annoying.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
loa said:
Engineering the backwards compatibility out of the ps3 with the blunt question of "do you really want backwards compatibility?" as "justification" made me not get the no brainer purchase the ps3 otherwise would have been.
Perhaps kicking loyal customers with your feet is "financially beneficial" in the short run but I do not see the benefit long-term.
i think the justification was actually that to have the ps3 run ps2 games it had to have some ps2 hardware, and it was causing them to overheat constantly

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Fanghawk said:

In the long run, Jorgensen believes this is beneficial, because it will allow EA to generate profits simultaneously across two console generations. Perhaps he's right, but it could just as easily stall the growth of a new console generation as it faces competition from the Steam Box, Ouya, and ever-dying PC platform. We'll hopefully find out a little more on the

Yep........ totally "ever dying"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-23-nvidia-pc-revenue-will-surpass-console-in-2014

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113262-PC-Games-Will-Outsell-Consoles-by-2014

Why is this still a myth that is being perpetuated?

Nvidia is even coming out with a console that runs off of a PC

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121967-Nvidia-Demos-Borderlands-2-on-Project-SHIELD

loa

Jan 28, 2012
heroicbob said:
loa said:
i think the justification was actually that to have the ps3 run ps2 games it had to have some ps2 hardware, and it was causing them to overheat constantly
What I remember are reasons that don't even try to make that kind of sense [http://kotaku.com/5340337/sony-explain-why-the-ps3-slim-has-no-backwards-compatibility].
So early fully backwards compatible ps3s overheated constantly? I thought that was a 360 thing.
Wasn't there a ps3 generation that had software based backwards compatibility?
I vaguely remember something like that.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
If they expect consoles to not be backwards compatible, then don't expect my wallet (or purse for the ladies) to be forwards compatible. The reason I still play games from yesteryear is because I enjoy them and their replay value is higher than the lighting and texture resolution for the demo version of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I play these games because I like to remind myself of a time when games had heart and soul put into them. Hell, the only reason I got a PS3 was for the games from the PS1 era. Games like Wild ARMs, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy 4: The Complete Edition (yes I know this requires a PSP to play, hence why uncles are awesome!), Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Grandia and the like. I own no physical copy of a game for the PS3. At all.

And if this is the direction that gaming companies want to take, then I can't wait for the whole gaming industry to crash again. Mainly because it seems, at this point, that's the only way we're going to make some headway in getting great games. Games that have a sense of innovation, creativity and awe. Not games that have a respectable demo and then the consumers get sold a pile of shit; not games where the lead writer says they're not going to end their series with a certain gimmick only to do so anyways; and, most certainly not games where a franchise gets an unneeded reboot, fans don't buy said reboot because they aren't interested in it and then the developers and publishers of said franchise blame their consumer base for not buying their unneeded reboot. And don't get me started on Kid Icarus - whenever anyone comes out and says, in all sincerity, "You're playing the game wrong" or anything else that blames anyone other than themselves, then you might as well kiss whatever good that was in that publisher/developer/whatever goodbye.

If an industry wide crash is necessary to destroy this kind of bullshit, I wholeheartedly await the coming of the destruction.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHsiufgndfanwefiorehnb;luinf;iowegs;iufbnvJKEfn...

[/rant]

I'm going to have a Captain Morgan Long Island Ice Tea now.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
So, an EA exec has had the real scoop on the next gen consoles for at least six months to a year.

He's under NDA, so he can't tell you 'forget back compat, it's not in there.'

But he knows. So if he says 'most likely' he means 'hey stupid, listen up, it's definitely not in there'.

Since PS4 and X720 are using different CPUs than the current generation (if you believe the consistent rumors) then it's just too time consuming and expensive for either Sony or MS to bother with it, and neither of them really see games as the primary point of the console any more.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
loa said:
Wasn't there a ps3 generation that had software based backwards compatibility?
Here's the story - gather 'round, younguns, I was there.

1) Original PS3, sitting in my living room, had hardware PS2 compatibility by including... a PS2 chip. Since they felt at the time that back compat was important to move consoles. And yes, prone to overheating. I turn it off with the off switch so it isn't hot in the morning.

2) PS3 didn't initially sell as well as hoped, because it lacked great exclusives for years, so they were losing too much money. So they came out with the cost reduced PS3 which cut the PS2 chip (reportedly $20 or so) but had PS2 software compat.

3) The PS2 software compat had various issues, since software compat is hard.

4) Sony said, 'f@#4 it this is too much work and anyhow we need you to buy PS3 games, not play PS2 games' (true! except for the 'f@#4 it' - maybe on some internal memos, but not public). So they yanked the PS2 software compat.

5) PS4 reportedly has a sane CPU and architecture that is x86 based and not Cell based, so back compat would be insanely hard without adding a PS3 chipset into the PS4 and I don't think they're going there again.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
MorganL4 said:
Fanghawk said:

In the long run, Jorgensen believes this is beneficial, because it will allow EA to generate profits simultaneously across two console generations. Perhaps he's right, but it could just as easily stall the growth of a new console generation as it faces competition from the Steam Box, Ouya, and ever-dying PC platform. We'll hopefully find out a little more on the

Yep........ totally "ever dying"

*url snip*

Why is this still a myth that is being perpetuated?

Nvidia is even coming out with a console that runs off of a PC

*url snip*

I believe the "ever-dying PC" comment was meant as sarcasm; since people have been cying PC gaming is dying since forever.

OT: Is it weird that I don't want the next generation of consoles? My PC has become my all-in-one gaming platform. Yeah I miss out on some system exclusive games, but those are few and far between; even fewer are those that interest me. I get by just fine with Steam for current releases and a collection of emulators I've used to back up my library of disc based games from previous generations.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but the majority of what's being released today I just don't want to play. As a result I find myself more and more retreating to my catalog of older games, or indie games that capture some aspect of older gaming.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Here's the deal with backwards compatibility.
Currently TVs are mostly HDReady. Some FullHD, some SD. So we're talking HDMI port and 720p.
Now, it's one thing to replace a box under your TV and another to put another box there that will take another HDMI slot. It worked with PS3, because 1)first PS3s were backwards-compatible and 2)it was a move from SD 480p to 720p-1080p.
But this time? It just won't work.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
They'd have to have a killer launch line-up to be able to pull this off, they know as well as we do that backwards-compatibility at launch drives sales

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
"Waah, Im not going to buy a new console because I can't play my old games even though I have a console capable of playing them already."
Whatever. Let me know how that goes for you.