Donkey Kong Rolling to 3DS Summer 2013

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Donkey Kong Rolling to 3DS Summer 2013

One of the Wii's most beloved platformers is getting a 3DS makeover later this year.

In 2010, the Donkey Kong Country series was resurrected with Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii. If you missed out on the critically acclaimed revival, you'll have another chance to play Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2013, this time in 3D and on the go. As Nintendo announced during its Nintendo Direct presentation earlier this morning, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is coming to the 3DS this summer.

Details are scarce about what the remake will entail; a press release simply stated that Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will receive a "portable 3D makeover that makes the already-amazing layered graphics pop." Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D joins a crowded 3DS summer release window alongside Animal Crossing: New Leaf [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122123-New-Mario-Luigi-RPG-Hitting-3DS-Summer-2013], and Mario Golf: World Tour.

As a 3DS owner, it's nice to see such a busy line-up for the handheld in 2013, given how slow the releases were after it launched. However, I can't help but think that instead of a 3D remake of a game that came out over two years ago, a new Donkey Kong Country adventure would have been preferable. If you want a glimpse of what DKC's 3D makeover will look like, a trailer is available on the 3DS eShop right now.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Someone at Nintendo must have said "Hey. Know what would be a cool idea? If we had a really really strong summer line-up for the 3DS, and then profited off of it. Because that would be a good business strategy."

And every other employee had their minds blown by the concept.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
WOAH, NEW MARIO GOLF!?!?

on topic (seriously excited about MG) I'm hoping this isn't just a port...I don't see Nintendo doing that but worries are worries. What I'd really like to see from the 3DS version is a return of the Kremlings. Or maybe some cross-universe thing wherein your main enemy is actually Wart of Super Mario Bros 2 fame. I'd also like to see Crash Course from Nintendo Land made into a playable mini-game or something. More people need to play Crash Course.

COME ON NINTENDO! ANNOUNCE A NEW TELEROBOXER FOR THE 3DS!!!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I really hope this isn't just a port from the Wii version, as much as I love that game I'd love a brand new DK adventure.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
juyunseen said:
Someone at Nintendo must have said "Hey. Know what would be a cool idea? If we had a really really strong summer line-up for the 3DS, and then profited off of it. Because that would be a good business strategy."

I've never understood why game companies don't release more stuff in the summer due to it being such a deadzone.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Oh Nintendo, with each passing month my love for you is continuing to return. Thanks for such lovely Valentine's Day gifts to us gamers.

OT: I loved DK Country Returns a lot. Since this will most likely be a port I have to hope that they give it some good controls and it won't really use the 3D feature that hurts my eyes.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Aiddon said:
juyunseen said:

I've never understood why game companies don't release more stuff in the summer due to it being such a deadzone.
Likely because they run by statistics, and because nothing is released during summer the statistics show that there are few game sales in summer, and they don't want to release a game in a time that the numbers tell them doesn't sell games.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Eh, they've always ended up porting DKC games to handheld anyway. They could just be gauging interest with the sales.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
WOAH, NEW MARIO GOLF!?!?

on topic (seriously excited about MG) I'm hoping this isn't just a port...I don't see Nintendo doing that but worries are worries. What I'd really like to see from the 3DS version is a return of the Kremlings. Or maybe some cross-universe thing wherein your main enemy is actually Wart of Super Mario Bros 2 fame. I'd also like to see Crash Course from Nintendo Land made into a playable mini-game or something. More people need to play Crash Course.

COME ON NINTENDO! ANNOUNCE A NEW TELEROBOXER FOR THE 3DS!!!
I think I recall Kremlings as Rare's property so Nintendo can't use them. I would also like to see them return though. I would also like to see Rare return to make good games rather than Kinect games.
Aiddon said:
juyunseen said:

Well there are a low numbers of sales during the summer months which might be just because there are also no releases, but there's also a possibility that summer is a slow month because people have other things to do than sit home and play games. Go outside, go on vacations or such. However summers should be the time of the year to bet on handheld gaming to boom for the same reasons console games are doing poorly. Long ride to your destination? Well thank god for that 3DS/vita/phone. Bored while working on that tan? Here's a new Donkey Kong!

Note that this is all speculation and an attempt at reasoning why there are few game releases, not an actual hypothesis. It could be one or the other, but it could also be all of e above in some combination. I do consider handheld games as advantageous since there are quite a few suffering from boredom while they travel.

Also I am excited about this game!