Hundreds Injured In Russia Meteorite Near-Miss

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Hundreds Injured In Russia Meteorite Near-Miss

The remains of the Chelyabinsk meteorite have been discovered.

In a spectacular and terrifying meteorological event, the Russian city of Chelyabinsk - population 1,130,132 as of the most recent census - was buzzed by a meteor at about 9.23 am local time. The shockwave detonation blew out windows, overloaded mobile phone networks and caused widespread panic; 474 injuries - 20 serious enough to warrant hospital treatment - have been reported so far.

State-owned Russian television reported that the meteorites had been engaged and shot down by local air defence forces, but this was contradicted later by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, who said that neither Russia nor the United States had the capability to do so. Medvedev called for an international initiative to create an early warning system, to detect incoming "objects of an alien origin."

Chelyabinsk has several nuclear power stations, but so far radiation levels are normal, according to the Russians, and evacuations are not being called for. "Ministry of Emergency Situations of Ural Region: meteorite rain over Chelyabinsk Region, no fire," reads a Tweet from Alexander Plushev [http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/02/14/what-is-happening-in-chelyabinsk/], of Echo on Moscow radio.

Russian army units [http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/] have discovered three meteorite impact sites, two near Chebarkul Lake, west of Chelyabinsk, while the third landed not far from the town of Zlatoust. One of the Chebarkul impacts left a crater six meters across.

Phil Plait, Bad Astronomer, who recently gave a heads-up about he doesn't think that this impact is related [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122105-Record-Setting-Asteroid-Could-Be-Worth-195-Billion]. The DA14 meteor is still 12 hours or more away, and coming from a different direction, making it unlikely that the Chelyabinsk event has much to do with it.

Those wanting more video should have a look over here [http://www.youtube.com/user/RussiaToday].

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/15/hundreds-injured-meteorite-russian-city-chelyabinsk?intcmp=122]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
A friend of mine that lives near the border of Russia sent me links to a Russian site with a whole bunch of videos of this plus one stunning photo of the meteor burning up as it fell.

http://metromsn.gazeta.pl/Wydarzenia/1,126477,13405767,Rosja__deszcz_meteorow_spadl_na_Ural__sa_ranni__WIDEO_.html

The first picture is stunning.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Incredibly unlucky. Wasn't it only 100 years ago when one fell in Tunguska? Isn't that like lightning striking twice?

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
The scary thing is, we had no idea. This thing just showed up and we're all scratching our thick monkey craniums and going "ooooh" at the sky.

The asteroid disaster movies lied to us. If a planet killer really hits us, we'll be dead long before it has time to show up on Reddit.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This is exactly why NASA needs a bigger budget.
Anyway, pretty big coincidence that this happened merely a few hours before the asteroid DA14 will pass earth. Two in one day, doesn't happen often.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
[obscure, nerdy reference powers: activate]

So when can we expect to send the mobile infantry out the Klendaathu to take out the damn, dirty bugs who threw these rocks at us?

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Meanwhile, members of Reagans admisitration blink at the news and say in unison:

"So THATS where it went!"

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
"474 casualties - 20 serious enough to warrant hospital treatment."

Because of the common military use of the term 'casualty' my first thought was that almost 500 people died. Then I wondered how even 20 of those 'deaths' were somehow treatable. Then I looked up the word and noted that it can also be used for injury.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
"State-owned Russian television reported that the meteorites had been engaged and shot down by local air defence forces" someone's trying to squeeze a few badass-points out of the situation...

rayen020

May 20, 2009
flarty said:
Incredibly unlucky. Wasn't it only 100 years ago when one fell in Tunguska? Isn't that like lightning striking twice?
not really. There are hundreds of impacts per year. Difference is tunguska was big, like really big. Like nuclear blast big. This impact broke some windows and startled some old ladies. Russia is big enough that they probably get a few of these over a few years that no one ever notices. This is odd becasue happened near a population center.

Also tunguska was in 1908, just outside the hundred year mark.

Also Also, lightning strikes the same place twice quite often (i.e. lightning rods and radio towers).

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
rhizhim said:
Kmadden2004 said:
[obscure, nerdy reference powers: activate]

So when can we expect to send the mobile infantry out the Klendaathu to take out the damn, dirty bugs who threw these rocks at us?
starship troopers i not obscure, boy.
You never know, there may be some kids on this site who weren't even born when that film came out...

Jesus, that's a scary thought, actually.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Beryl77 said:
This is exactly why NASA needs a bigger budget.
Anyway, pretty big coincidence that this happened merely a few hours before the asteroid DA14 will pass earth. Two in one day, doesn't happen often.
It happens dozens of times a day actually, they're just not be big enough to light up the entire sky like that. I agree though, the coincidence is weird. Unfortunately, we will need to have a huge disaster before governments actually commit to setting up a serious defense against that, because humanity is dumb.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
The first shot of humanities eternal war with xenos, that's right this is sentient xeno plot put into action. Let's take to the stars prepared, with bolters and chainswords in hand because it doesn't get easier from here!