Red Thread Games Reveals Dreamfall Chapters Stretch Goals

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Red Thread Games Reveals Dreamfall Chapters Stretch Goals

With Dreamfall Chapters at over 90% of its funding goal, Red Thread Studios has released a new gameplay video.

Just Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122015-Red-Thread-Games-Launches-Dreamfall-Chapters-Kickstarter] has raised almost $790,000 from fans eager to see this series continue after a long absence. That's over 90% of the Kickstarter's $850,000 goal, and there are still 22 days to go. Because it seems likely that Dreamfall Chapters will meet its goal, Red Thread Games has revealed a few stretch goals, letting fans know what it plans to do with any extra money the Kickstarter raises.

If the crowd-funding venture reaches $900,000, Dreamfall Chapters will be coming to Mac and Linux in addition to Windows PCs, letting users choose whether to receive the game on a DVD or memory stick. At $950,000, the Loremaster will be added to the game; this includes "the Great Library of Marcuria (rebuilt in secrecy, of course), a fully-voiced librarian character, and tons of books, documents, ancient parchments and tomes of lore in-game for players to read, explore and dig into!" The ambitious $1,000,000 stretch goal will let the developers create new locations, characters, side stories, dialogue, and generally just more of the game; additional information will be provided as the Kickstarter gets closer to a million dollars. Finally, if Red Thread Games can raise a whopping $2,000,000 - more than twice its original goal - it will reveal The Longest Journey Home. What that means is anyone's guess; for now, it's a secret until they get closer to the "ultimate stretch goal."

To celebrate surpassing 90% of its goal, Red Thread posted a video on its Kickstarter page with "very early prototype footage" of Dreamfall Chapters. The video "does not reflect the final quality of the art, animations, frame-rate or UI. Zoë is a placeholder model still dressed in her old Dreamfall clothes, and the geography, trees, buildings, and assets are also temporary, and will change a lot in the months ahead." This early glimpse is meant to give supporters an idea of what to expect as development progresses, even though nothing in it is final.

With more than three weeks to go until the Kickstarter closes, it's entirely possible that Dreamfall Chapters will be completely funded and meet a few of its stretch goals as well. In the time it took me to write this article, another $2,000 was added to the total, so its funds appear to be increasing at a steady rate. Whether or not fans are invested enough to help Red Thread meet that ultimate goal, though, remains to be seen; we'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

Source: Red Thread Games Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts]

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
How did I not know the kickstarter for this had started? I feel bad that I'm pledging a week late after a couple of decades of telling everyone I know that Longest Journey is the best part of the holy System Shock 2/Deus Ex/TLJ triad of late 90s gaming greatness.

Edit: Doh! Make that "Foursome of late 90s gaming greatness" - how could I forget Planescape: Torment?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
2 million definitely seems likely, when compared to other 2 million-scoring Kicktarter, they were also standing somewhere around 7 to 9 hundred thousand dollars after a week.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I bought the Longest Journey and Dreamfall on Steam on a whim once. And loved both games. I figured they were both sort of under the raidar and a kickstarter would only recieve mild sucsess. 22 days left and nearly funded shows how wrong I am. and now I want to invest in my second game ever. The first being Shadowrun Returns.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Must not pre-order,
must not pre-order,
mist not pre-order.
Doooo eeeet! Dooo eeet! You know you want to. :)

(I backed this project ten minutes after it opened.)