Aliens: Colonial Marines Suffers Save Wipe Bug on Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Aliens: Colonial Marines Suffers Save Wipe Bug on Xbox 360

It appears that Aliens: Colonial Marines is nuking Xbox 360 saves from orbit.

Just in case Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't quite enough of a dropship wreck already, here's another log on the fire. According to several reports posted on the Gearbox forums, owners of the Xbox 360 version of the game are randomly losing their saved games. And not just that; campaign progress, player levels, brightness settings and controls schemes are all disappearing. The problem appears to crop up when the game is installed to the hard drive.

Gearbox hasn't commented on the issue at this point but a few victims of the bug theorize that it's an issue with Gearbox servers, since save data doesn't appear to be stored on local systems. If so, it's possible that the lost data could eventually be restored, although forum posts complaining about the bug are dated from February 12 to today, a long time for a server error to go uncorrected.

If you're lucky enough to have dodged the Colonial Marines bullet, this is just one more reason not to get in front of it; if, on the other hand, you dropped $60 on the thing and find yourself forced to start over again from square one, you have my sympathy. Either way, it's an unfortunate mess, but it almost seems appropriate somehow. We've reached out to Gearbox for information and will update if and when we hear back.

Source: Gearbox forums [http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182&order=desc]

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Geez, the never ending cavalcade of errors is just marching along, isn't it?

Gearbox should be getting more flak for this then BioWare did for the ME3 fiasco. At least that game was decent up until the last 10 minutes. A:CM is a flustercluck from the ground up.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Look on the bright side. Maybe it's the first step in Gearbox actually being able to totally wipe the experience from the minds of those who purchased and played the game.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Mirrorknight said:

Gearbox should be getting more flak for this then BioWare did for the ME3 fiasco. At least that game was decent up until the last 10 minutes. A:CM is a flustercluck from the ground up.
The difference I think lies in both the fanbase, and the expectation. Like how a film such as say, The Expendables 2 is a lot worse in regards to flaws than The Dark Knight Rises, but the latter has a much larger fanbase, and expectation of it was a lot higher than The Expendables 2.

So you are much more likely to hear complaints about The Dark Knight Rises, even if it is the better film.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Mirrorknight said:

That had more to do with disappointment than uninterrupted badness I'd say. But people overreacted horribly I'd say. Considering the lack of flak Fallout 3's ending received for being far worse and making you pay $15 for the real ending.

I'm not bitter or anything.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Wow, this game is cursed.

Or Gearbox is. By finishing Duke Nukem Forever they gave life to That Which Was Not Meant To Be, and now they're suffering cosmic retribution.

Magnum700

May 28, 2011
Innovation - Copyright Gearbox 2013 - Forever

I can't believe this bug never got noticed before released.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Thank the gods. Now those who bought the game can deny it ever happened. Look, no proof.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Magnum700 said:
Innovation - Copyright Gearbox 2013 - Forever

I can't believe this bug never got noticed before released.

Hehehe, come on now, it's not that hard to believe that they missed a bug before release. Have you SEEN the game? It's actually quite amusing how badly they've fucked it up. I don't have any love for the Alien films though so I guess some people are gonna be genuinely upset by the shittyness of the game huh?

What is with Gearbox shamelessly stamping their logo on absolute turds? DNF and now this? It only damages your brand y'know, even if you didn't technically make the game it still has your name on it. It's hard to imagine something this bad having the same dev logo as the one on Borderlands 2 for example. It just looks off.

[sub]2 year business course pays off in the end[/sub]

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
"Since save data doesn't appear to be stored on local systems."
Wait a minute here. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean that game save data isn't normally saved on the 360's they're being played on by design??? Is it basically cloud storage of your game save? That can't be, can it? Surely you can back up your data to a thumb drive or something.

Can anybody confirm/deny this?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe the game is becoming sentient and wants to eradicate itself from existence? It knows it is an abomination unto Nuggan. Also, brightness settings? NOOOOOOO!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
It knows it is an abomination unto Nuggan.
I wanted to say "I love you." for this but too would be an abomination according to the latest revised list of abominations.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Sixcess said:
Wow, this game is cursed.

Or Gearbox is. By finishing Duke Nukem Forever they gave life to That Which Was Not Meant To Be, and now they're suffering cosmic retribution.
I think Gearbox is actually a pretty crap company that managed to get lucky with Boarderlands. They've helped pioneer the "season pass" which turns a $60 game in to a $90 game. They scoop up these licences then farm them out to hack developer studios. DNF was awful, so is A:CM. They pulled a pretty heinous bait-and-switch with the Aliens demo and still sent this junk out the door, which I partly blame Sega for that, but still doesn't excuse them.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I can't believe I'm the first to say this but...
CriticalMiss said:
Maybe the game is becoming sentient and wants to eradicate itself from existence? It knows it is an abomination unto Nuggan. Also, brightness settings? NOOOOOOO!
In fairness, Nuggan hates all of the things.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
You poor heathen, Om is the one true god. Wait I have a pamphlet around her somewhere explaining it.