Beer and Brawlers Collide in Beercade: The Last Barfighter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Beer and Brawlers Collide in Beercade: The Last Barfighter

There comes a time in everyone's life when there's only one thing left worth fighting for.

You can fight for peace. You can fight for justice. Or you can fight for what really matters: a quality American-style IPA. And for those people who have their priorities straight, the Big Boss Brewing Company of Raleigh, NC has a new arcade stand-up that rewards pugilistic prowess with samples of beer.

In Beercade: The Last Barfighter, players select one of five characters, each representing a Big Boss beer, and fight for three rounds inside a virtual pub. The action looks pretty simplistic compared to most fighting games, but it's unlikely that players will care because at the end of three rounds, the victor gets a serving of beer. Even better, you don't have to pump any quarters into it to play; the coin mechanism has been replaced with a drip tray, cupholders and motion sensors that start the game when cups are inserted.

Quarters or not, and notwithstanding the fact that I'm terrible at fighting games, I'd play this thing until they had to carry me out - literally. Sadly, I won't be able to. Beercade: The Last Barfighter is a promotional machine intended for use exclusively at special events. And really, that's probably for the best.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/beercade-the-last-barfighter/]

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
At first glance, this seem brilliant. Pay for a cup, insert cup to play, victory earns you more bear per single cup. I would imagine this would be an enticing challenge to all bar patrons...

then again, it might end up being monopolized by arcade aficionados who'd spend hours on a single cup. A skilled player might die of alcohol poisoning before losing a the game

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
The idea of beers fighting reminds me of The Last Eichhof, an old shmup where you're a bottle of beer and fight various other beers.

Jaegerwolf

Sep 29, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:
At first glance, this seem brilliant. Pay for a cup, insert cup to play, victory earns you more bear per single cup. I would imagine this would be an enticing challenge to all bar patrons...

then again, it might end up being monopolized by arcade aficionados who'd spend hours on a single cup. A skilled player might die of alcohol poisoning before losing a the game
Well then you have the question of what happens first; alcohol poisoning or being so intoxicated you're no longer a viable player?

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
A bit arbitrary, but you gotta give them credit for managing to take drinking games to the next level.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'd imagine the line for this thing would be crazy long. It dispenses free beer after all.