Escapist Regular Creates Sigils for Podcat Crew

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Escapist Regular Creates Sigils for Podcat Crew

In the same vein as last year's tribute song [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120647-Community-Member-Creates-Musical-Tribute-to-The-Escapist], these house sigils represent the Podcat crew surprisingly well.

Along with an inbox full of precious pet pictures and generally adorable animals, the Podcat crew was recently treated to a surprisingly well thought out collection of house sigils for the more frequent podcasters. Even going so far as to outline the motivation behind color choices and imagery, user [user]Little Duck[/user]'s creations may well find their way onto a line of custom shirts, if we're lucky. My personal favorite is definitely Paul's "Gooseman" sigil, with the "Honk" motto, but they're all pretty spectacular pieces of work.

The Escapist's Editor in Chief, Susan Arendt, got a round emblem which emulates "a stereotypical Viking shield," as well as the baby fox within, because, well, mostly because foxes are adorable. Susan's motto is a Podcat reference, "It is our muffin." Meanwhile, Janelle Bonanno has the motto "Small Yet Mighty," which perfectly suits her stature. As to the sigil itself, Little Duck explained, "You have the sun of spring in the background and a sand timer about to begin counting down," representing the new year. House Tito got the most commanding motto, "The greatest words in existence," with a crown modeled on the cogs used in old printing presses. Finally, there's Justin Clouse, resident Tank Ninja. Given his tendency to play a rogue in WoW, or any game that gives him the option to play a blade-wielding backstabber, I suspect his motto, "The knife in the dark," is quite fitting.

[gallery=1053]

Check out all of the sigils here and let us know what you think in the comments below.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Stunning.

It was either that cliché or 'speechless'.

@Little Duck: has nailed them all, as in the preview one isn't able to make out the text, but even having a quick glance can convey who each sigil is representing.

Bravo, sir, bravo.

Side thoughts: what do the colours mean?
All the staff represented have to change their avatars to their sigil! :D

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I think my favourite, even with the unfortunate spelling error, is Justin's. Or perhaps Susan's. But they are all wonderful

Chrono212 said:
Agreed! And to have the motto as their forum titles too! =P

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Brilliant. I tried to think of some house mottos, but they all sucked.

Very well done.

Now they need to have posters of these in the Escapist office.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Darn it now we must all choose houses and prepare the political maneuvering on the podcast. When the war starts who do I really want to trust my life to?

I mean I like the way House Clause thinks, but I don't want to be fighting for him with my back to him.

House Arendt has the legitimate rule as they have claims to the muffin. However she seems to be missing from the podcast more often than some of the others so it will be hard to protect her as she moves around so much.

Is House Gooseman even fighting in this or are they like the druids off in their little forest ignoring the other?

House Baonanno Has a good underdog story, but I am unsure how much support this house could raise in battle.

House Tito has a good chance but I wonder if the egotistical statement in their motto will drive people away from their cause?

Well there is but one choice, "My name is Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune, and I am here for dinner.?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Can't wait for more GoT podcasts, one of my all-time favorite things on the Escapist, only two more months :)

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
House Arendt really should've been an eagle (since that's what the name means and all), but I guess eagles aren't cute enough for Susan...

I will refrain from siding with any one house for the time being [sub][sub]bribes are, as always, welcome[/sub][/sub]

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
You featured my stuff? Thank you so much. I feel honoured.
Chrono212 said:
Stunning.

@Little Duck: has nailed them all, as in the preview one isn't able to make out the text, but even having a quick glance can convey who each sigil is representing.

Bravo, sir, bravo.

Bonanno came from the Italian Rugby team, Goodman's name origins actually means Godman, so I thought a papal yellow would be nice. I kinda had to use a blood red for Clause and I think I remember somewhere Susan said her favourite colour was purple (?) Please don't quote me on that I think I may be wrong. Tito, I wanted something fitting with the printing press. Something powerful and oldish, so I went with a bit of a rusty orange.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Small, yet mighty. Brilliant.
How about making sigils for content creators? Something like
"House Croshaw
We are bananas"

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
Little Duck said:
You featured my stuff? Thank you so much. I feel honoured.
Chrono212 said:
Stunning.

Bravo, sir, bravo.

Bonanno came from the Italian Rugby team, Goodman's name origins actually means Godman, so I thought a papal yellow would be nice. I kinda had to use a blood red for Clause and I think I remember somewhere Susan said her favourite colour was purple (?) Please don't quote me on that I think I may be wrong. Tito, I wanted something fitting with the printing press. Something powerful and oldish, so I went with a bit of a rusty orange.
Genius.mov

Are you a graphic designer by trade or through hobby? If the latter I must implore you consider the former.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
These are amazing. I add my voice to those clamouring for appropriate changes to avatars and titles.

Also, I wonder if we can get this guy to do CommuniCast ones. :p

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Chrono212 said:
Genius.mov

Are you a graphic designer by trade or through hobby? If the latter I must implore you consider the former.
I do a bit on the side, though I am currently studying architecture at university. I doubt I'll keep on doing architecture though and I'll probably look into something graphic designy post uni.

Blunderboy said:
These are amazing. I add my voice to those clamouring for appropriate changes to avatars and titles.

Thank you so much for saying that. Unfortunately, I do not know who they are. Sorry man :(

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Little Duck said:
Chrono212 said:
Genius.mov

I do a bit on the side, though I am currently studying architecture at university. I doubt I'll keep on doing architecture though and I'll probably look into something graphic designy post uni.

Blunderboy said:

Thank you so much for saying that. Unfortunately, I do not know who they are. Sorry man :(
It's okay man. We're small. :p
But honestly, great work.

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
Little Duck said:
Chrono212 said:
Genius.mov

Couldn't you use your architecture degree for graphic/environment design for video games?
Just hypothesising.

Isn't architecture a four year course?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
There must always be a cat in the cradle :p
Andy Shandy said:

I think my favourite, even with the unfortunate spelling error, is Justin's. Or perhaps Susan's. But they are all wonderful

Chrono212 said:
Agreed! And to have the motto as their forum titles too! =P
I aprove of these measures.

Yes but House Arendt is lacking in silver spoon.....

But yes.... Those are awesome.... You Sir Duck win all the internets....

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
These are just amazing.
I'd wear any of these as shirts.
I would like to see Mike Kayatta's though.

House Kayatta
"Wealth of millions"