Rumor: PlayStation 4 Will Feature PS3 Game Streaming

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Rumor: PlayStation 4 Will Feature PS3 Game Streaming

Sony may get around potential backwards compatibility issues by implementing Gaikai's streaming technology.

Earlier this week, we mentioned that rumors are circulating about the next console generation's backwards compatibility, or more specifically, its lack thereof. This would be frustrating, but certainly understandable. True backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 4 would require Sony to integrate PlayStation 3 hardware into the system, which can create design problems. Software compatibility is one alternative, but that is rarely 100% effective for all titles. So what can Sony do to maintain interest in PS3 games once the PS4 launches? According to the Wall Street Journal, the manufacturer will use technology <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118212-Sony-Buys-Gaikai-Cloud-Gaming-Service>from last summer's Gaikai purchase to implement PS3 streaming in its upcoming console.

Cloud-based gaming platforms like Gaikai pose an interesting possible solution to the backwards compatibility problem. The process allows players to stream gameplay in real-time through remote servers, placing the hardware requirement burden almost entirely on high-speed internet connections. According to the report, this technology wouldn't be ideal for PS4 games, but might effectively stream PS3 titles at a resolution of 720p. If it works, the technology could allow Sony to maintain interest in recent PS3 releases, and test the limits of cloud gaming on a grander scale. Even better, this may allow PS3 functionality to be extended to handheld units like the PlayStation Vita.

Assuming all of the above is true, there are still concerns that Sony would need to address. For example, can Gaikai's technology, previously exclusive for PC games, effectively stream console titles? More importantly, will gamers need to repurchase their PS3 games to replay them on the new system? If <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121823-Sony-Teases-Possible-PlayStation-4-Announcement>Sony's February 20th announcement turns out to be a PlayStation 4 reveal, we'll learn more about the system's cloud gaming potential at that time.

Source: <a href=http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/15/3993970/playstation-4-will-stream-ps3-games-reports-wsj>The Verge, via <a href=online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323478004578306663577439962.html>Wall Street Journal

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I hate to be a prick, but...
Fanghawk said:
According to the report, this technology isn't be ideal for PS4 games, but might effectively stream PS3 titles at a resolution of 720p.
This sounds ok, provided you don't need to rebuy PS3 games you already own. That would just piss me off.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
I hate to be a prick, but...
Fanghawk said:
According to the report, this technology isn't be ideal for PS4 games, but might effectively stream PS3 titles at a resolution of 720p.
This sounds ok, provided you don't need to rebuy PS3 games you already own. That would just piss me off.
Indeed. Whether or not I will have to rebut my ps3 games or even pla them on the ps4 will be a huge factor in if I buy a ps4 and how quickly.

Jan 12, 2012
I'm with Vault Citizen: If the PS4 forces me to rebuy my games library, I'm definitely going to think twice about buying it (especially in the first couple years, when PS3 patches and games will still be coming out regularly).

Streaming does sound like the best solution that doesn't result in a massive block of a console, but I'm getting worried about how many games are requiring high-speed internet for things like this and authorization (looking at you, Ubisoft). It's not cheap here in Canada, especially on a student's budget, and I hope Sony and the rest of the big manufacturers and publishers recognize that they may be alienating parts of their market outside of Japan and the big US cities.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So they selling you games you may already own? Its great you have the back catalogue if you never bought a PS3, but if you had a PS3, then that means you re buying the games again. Why cant they just have a think where it checks your hard drive, and any game thats on it will be free. That would be good.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
And for those of us who already own a mountain of physical PS3 games? I'd rather have actual backwards compatibility or none at all. The more I hear about this next generation of consoles, the less interested I am with owning one.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I also wonder whether or not we'll need to re-buy old PS3 games to play them again. And even if we don't, how will we be able to get them without paying? Because I can't think of a way to do so. Then again, that's why I'm not in the industry right now...

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
There's the logistical problem of high-speed connections being too expensive, which is kinda why Onlive and Gaikai didn't really take off. Like it or not cable companies are getting too much profit to change that right now, so I doubt this will work very well. Now downloadable games? That would clear that hurdle, but a massive hard drive would still be needed. Luckily those are getting cheaper and bigger as time goes on, so that could work. A 1TB hard drive would be fantastic for such a thing.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
I also wonder whether or not we'll need to re-buy old PS3 games to play them again. And even if we don't, how will we be able to get them without paying? Because I can't think of a way to do so. Then again, that's why I'm not in the industry right now...
If they wanted? Very easy:

- Insert the old physical copy of your PS3 into your PS4.

- Have the console read the disk and identify the game.

- Give you access to said game Stream.

With that, selling digital copies at a discount and maybe charging a small montly fee for the backward compatibility service (to pay for the bandwith and stuff, probably along the lines of 4.99 with adds or 9.99 without adds) you end up with a great service that will lure many hardcore PS gamers.

My guess? If sony implements this they will just force you to rebuy them.

an annoyed writer said:
There's the logistical problem of high-speed connections being too expensive, which is kinda why Onlive and Gaikai didn't really take off.
One would think so, but then again twitch is getting bigger and fatter streaming at 700+ and living almost fully of adds in a world with addblock, and what is proposed in the OP is barely more demanding in bandwith. TBH i just think companies like Onlive or OWN3D just failed at the buisness side, not in the concept itself.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
What an interesting turn of events...assuming this rumor is true.

Makes sense with them owning Gaikai now and all. However, if they plan on charging for that and making people re-buy their games then I call BS. Thankfully, I don't plan on ditching my PS3 anytime soon if this turns out to be true.

All in all, congrats Sony. You've now made me very curious to know what the hell you have up your sleeve.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
You know what would be crazy? if they let you stream any ps3 game free, it would get a massive amount of people to buy the ps4 on launch creating a consumer base for ps4 titles. I realize this is about as likely as me getting super powers in the next 30 secs but still I can dream

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Why can't there be any positive rumors anymore with Microsoft and Sony? Every rumor basically just makes me care about the next gen less and less.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Right, so I paid for all those hard copies for nothing. Way to think smartly, Sony. I don't see this working out at all for you guys. Try harder.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Once again Sony succeed in making gamers buy their games again...again. If this is true of course. I actually wouldn't mind paying to stream games from previous generations provided they offer the following:

- Games from PS1, PS2 AND the PS3
- Subscribing for unlimited access to all generations for a given time (so maybe £5 a month for PS1 and PS2, a bit more for PS3 or a combo of the two)
- The option to outright buy a game but for less than it would cost to get a physical copy. Not £10 for a PS1 game from more than a decade ago or something mad like that.
- No adverts, no monetisation beyond a subscription, just a flat fee to play games.
- Some freebies for good will

Although really I would probably just stick with using a PS2, which I already have in a cupboard somewhere, and buying old games at carboot sales, charity shops and eBay for a few quid each. Likewise with a PS3. And as others have said the coming console generation is looking pretty grim.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I have the perfect backwards compatibility method for the PS4 already, it's called a PS3! It will live in my cupboard until I feel the need to replay a game!

Even then it's unlikely I will need it, I don't really replay games at all, once I have beaten them once.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
How about ps1 and ps2 games? Yeah I'm going to be sticking with my ps3. Also I don't trust my internet provider giving a constant high-speed connection service on which I could rely on streaming (especially 720p), my internet has enough problems with 480 on youtube.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
thesilentman said:
Right, so I paid for all those hard copies for nothing. Way to think smartly, Sony. I don't see this working out at all for you guys. Try harder.
You still have your PS3 right? So, what stops you from using it when you feel like playing a PS3 game? I honestly have no clue as to WHY this is an issue. Was never an issue back in the NES/SNES/N64 era, so why now? Besides, backwards computability makes things more expensive so, by not having it, the system is cheaper, isn't that what people want?
I'm knocking at the stupidity of game streaming in this instance. I've used Gaikai, but I don't think I can use that over my hard copies. And if Sony screws us over, an uproar ensues.