NASA Puts $5 Million Towards Asteroid Detection

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
NASA Puts $5 Million Towards Asteroid Detection

A Hawaii scientist's ATLAS project would find asteroids a day or more before impact.

In the wake of a meteor exploding over Russia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122150-Hundreds-Injured-In-Russia-Meteorite-Near-Miss], Hawaii's KHON is reporting on a NASA investment in a system for early asteroid detection. Currently called the Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System (ATLAS), it is being developed by Dr. John Tonry at the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy. "It's gonna involve small telescopes about the size of a good garbage can, but very wide fields of view and the intent is to basically scan the whole sky a couple times a night and that makes it possible for things to sneak through," Tonry said. Nonetheless, if ATLAS were up and running it would have provided about a day's warning to the people in Chelyabinsk, where a meteor shattered windows, collapsed a factory wall, and left hundreds injured. NASA has approved $5 million of funding for ATLAS.

Using ATLAS, says Tonry, "We can say it will be exactly such and so a position to within a mile and it'll happen at exactly such and such a time within a second." Asteroids the size of the russian meteor fall to earth about once a year, but we do not always see them because they hit remote locations. "It struck me that there was this kind of hole, that this imminent impacter risk is real and it comes from very small things," said Tonry. The Chelyabinsk meteor was travelling at about 33,000 miles per hour (53,000 kilometers per hour) and exploded with the force of an atomic bomb - though it was at least 18 miles (29 kilometers) off the ground.

There is currently no available information from NASA as to when the ATLAS would begin operations, but it's comforting to know that it was already in development.

Source: KHON [http://www.khon2.com/content/news/editorschoice/story/NASA-approves-5-million-for-Hawaii-asteroid/ADFb_2jCqkWtekvUJ_SGNQ.cspx]
Image: NASA [http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/neo/2011_AG5_LN_intro_wksp.pdf]

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
According to the Law of Sod, this will come online just in time to inform us a meteor the size of Greenland will hit us in 24 hours.

My faith still reside sin Bruce, our ultimate anti-asteroid defence.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
the russian strike was one of the best tings to happen for nasa. meteor strikes have gone from something you see in movies and discovery channel documentaries to exploding over cities on the nightly news. people see them as a threat now so hopefully that will save some of their budget that was going to be cut
I agree, NASA (and space exploration in general) funding takes a kicking because it 'doesn't do anything' (most ignorant statement award) and only ever gets the kind of major funding boosts it needs when something 'cool' happens (Curiosity, meteor strike, etc.)

Strange as it sounds I'd rather have had the meteor hit some some town in the American Midwest (obviously with nobody hurt/killed) - American politicians would have gone apeshit over how it was a national disgrace that NASA couldn't protect/warn Americans about the dangers of meteor strikes and then there'd be politicians on tv bemoaning the fact that NASA doesn't get enough funding and calls for an increase.

NASA budget goes up, lots more space exploration missions and loads more awesome science for us to read about/look at, win win all around.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Me55enger said:
According to the Law of Sod, this will come online just in time to inform us a meteor the size of Greenland will hit us in 24 hours
OR, during it's test phase it'll be smashed by a small meteor

oh, the irony. it would be delicious.

all it needs now is a gigantic laser to vaporize incoming asteroids, and we won't need to evacuate anything
just the occasional plane might be sliced in half, no big deal.

we are doom mongers aren't we XD

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The problem I have with this is that knowing a meteor is going to hit doesn't usually help much. It's a big meteor, we're screwed anyways since Earth is doomed. If it's small its going to need to be very accurate since it would be hard to say, evacuate an entire town that could be hit at any square mile. it would need to be accurate enough that we could evacuate a small but manageable portion of land and I don't think we have anything that accurate. I'd personally rather have an earthquake detector.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Yay, all of 5 million... *slowclap*

Thankfully they've been building a new asteroid detection array in Chile for years so we don't have to wait for NASA to wake up.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Personally, I'm a little more worried about something coming from said asteroids. I wouldn't be wrong in thinking that isn't entirely science fiction right? Could it be possible for bacteria to survive, perhaps inside the meteor?

Whatever the case, more asteroid detection's good news. Now we just need to work on defending our asses from the damn things...

olenic

Feb 8, 2013
Not sure to what feel about this; not sure how much of a difference it would really make.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Doclector said:
Personally, I'm a little more worried about something coming from said asteroids. I wouldn't be wrong in thinking that isn't entirely science fiction right? Could it be possible for bacteria to survive, perhaps inside the meteor?

Whatever the case, more asteroid detection's good news. Now we just need to work on defending our asses from the damn things...
Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I mean, you did read the part where the thing exploded with the force of a nuclear bomb, right? When these things come in, they come in fast and hit really, really hard. Those aren't the sort of conditions that many bacteria (do you mean viruses? Because bacteria probably couldn't survive millions of years exposed to the icy void of space anyway) are likely to survive, and even if they did survive, it's pretty unlikely that they'd be able to infect us anyway.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
God damnit, Aerosmith was playing in my head the whole time I was reading this article...

OT: Really does make you realize just how utterly helpless we'd be if a big one was on a collision course with us.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
the russian strike was one of the best tings to happen for nasa. meteor strikes have gone from something you see in movies and discovery channel documentaries to exploding over cities on the nightly news. people see them as a threat now so hopefully that will save some of their budget that was going to be cut
It really is amazing just how close a call that Russian meteor was. The newest estimate is that when it broke apart, it exploded with a force of roughly 500 kilotons. If it had been too much lower before it exploded then things could have been much, much worse than a bunch of shattered windows and 1000's of minor injuries. Not to mention if something its size was actually solid enough to make it all the way down and impact.

Most people seem to think all asteroids are going to be like the one that killed the dinosaurs, or the ones you see in disaster movies, miles-wide things that could end all life on Earth. But when you're dealing with the kinds of speed and energy that are involved with celestial objects, even relatively small objects can do insane amounts of damage and come literally out of nowhere with the current systems we have in place to monitor the sky. It may only be a once in a lifetime, or once in a century event, but it is something we're going to need to at least take some measures against, or a lot of people are going to get hurt one day.

Here's hoping it does something for NASA though. It really is sad to see such an exceptional program fall into the sad state it's in. Space-travel, or at the very least, extra-planetary industry, *is* humanity's future, and we're basically ignoring it. There's literally a near-infinite amount of resources out there. Just floating around, waiting to be exploited.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
instead of funding an ongoing project to recognize all space bodies flying towards earth that seems to be successful, nasa decides to "make their own" for as little as 5 millions. i smell attentiongrab.

Twilight_guy said:
The problem I have with this is that knowing a meteor is going to hit doesn't usually help much. It's a big meteor, we're screwed anyways since Earth is doomed. If it's small its going to need to be very accurate since it would be hard to say, evacuate an entire town that could be hit at any square mile. it would need to be accurate enough that we could evacuate a small but manageable portion of land and I don't think we have anything that accurate. I'd personally rather have an earthquake detector.
in case of big asteroids, with 24 hour warning we can launch the nuclear missiles and pray the asteroid is impacted enough to change the orbit. note here, change orbit, not be blown up, because blow up still mean it all fall down to earth and destroy us, however we want it to fly-by. our missiles are accurate enough, question is are they powerful enough?

Earthquake detector is impossible. some earthquakes can be prognosed by detector tools we already have, some cant. its impossible to prognose these we cant prognose now, or at least we dont know of any way. asteroids on the other hand are possible to see, we just arent looking.

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I mean, you did read the part where the thing exploded with the force of a nuclear bomb, right? When these things come in, they come in fast and hit really, really hard. Those aren't the sort of conditions that many bacteria (do you mean viruses? Because bacteria probably couldn't survive millions of years exposed to the icy void of space anyway) are likely to survive, and even if they did survive, it's pretty unlikely that they'd be able to infect us anyway.
it is speculated that first life on earth could have been brought about by a meteor landing. organic matter can be preserved on frozen state in space and if it is nto destroyed on entry it could survive. technically anyway.

Maybe not for a long time, but if it saves a 1000 people 13 years from now is it worth it?
to spend 5 millions on? no.

Jedi-Hunter4

Mar 20, 2012
Doclector said:

I'm by no mean's an expert of any sort's on space but I know space is probably the most hostile environment in existence other than a sun. Astonishingly low temperatures and lethal radiation that the atmosphere protects us against I would think would kill any form or bacteria. Most viruses and cells that infect human systems can only survive for between mins and 24 hours out side the human body.

Akalabeth said:
Twilight_guy said:
Well given the number of people who were injured in russia I would say it could help a little. Maybe not for a long time, but if it saves a 1000 people 13 years from now is it worth it?
Yer I think this is more thinking meteors the size up to a house or something, relatively small but could kill allot of people. Think huble telescope, space station or deep space radar would probably pic up extinction level or catastrophic level kind of meteors, just so area's can be evacuated.

Karma168 said:
wombat_of_war said:
snip
Although it must be disappointing from a nationalistic point of view (which I can totally understand, as I find it very inspirational what NASA have achieved let alone had it been my country that backed it) it kind of make's sense that NASA's funding takes allot of cut's in term's of the knowledge that can be made.

I'm a mechanical engineer so I don't really deal with NASA work (although I have referred to a few papers), but I do know allot of Aeronautical Engineers an they all say long gone are the days of NASA's staff being the total cream of the crop an their research being the be all an end all of cutting edge.

For instance most developed country's are now an have been for some time taking part in some form of government backed advanced aero research these day's ie in the UK (MOD, BAE, AWE) so they are keeping hold of their professionals unlike in the 60's. Commercial entity's are also playing a huge part in Aerospace and space (in general) based research and have huge budgets.

There's loads of other factors as well like the European space agency although not doing a shuttle launch or anything are also actually doing things now. Russia has always had it's own space agency, but China now has a fully fledged space agency doing launches.

Basically what I'm trying to say is the same amount if not more of Aeronautical and space based research is being done, so don't worry about development as a race or anything. NASA is just not the Intellectual spearhead of the industry anymore tonne's of awesome crazy research is done all the time and get's published it's just most of the body's that do it don't have the same impact as the NASA name with the public, they have rested on their laurels for a long time from what I have heard (not that the work they do is irrelevant by any means, just they are now one of many with their body of knowledge rather than the best of 2) that an some of the benefits of the insane budgets they used to have (like the wind tunnel that could fit a 1/2 scale space shuttle, I think, which is jaw dropping). But yer from a Nationalistic view as an american or anyone that is a big supporter of NASA I can see how it's a very sad state of affairs.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Then do what exactly even if you have 24 hours early warning it is not like we have the tech to blow up an asteroid.America you have a larger problem than asteroids it called your 18 trillion dollars of debt that doesn't look like it will slow down any time soon you can actually do things to stop that.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Me55enger said:
According to the Law of Sod, this will come online just in time to inform us a meteor the size of Greenland will hit us in 24 hours.
So, pretty much the moon then? :D

"ATLAS has picked up a meteor the size of Greenland coming towards the earth. It'll make contact in less than 24 hours!"
"What?!? How did we not see this coming sooner?!?"

"In other news, after months of increasing size, the moon now occupies the entire sky of countries directly under its orbit. Scientists are astonished by its physics-denying growth."

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Spygon said:
Then do what exactly even if you have 24 hours early warning it is not like we have the tech to blow up an asteroid.America you have a larger problem than asteroids it called your 18 trillion dollars of debt that doesn't look like it will slow down any time soon you can actually do things to stop that.
It is obvious to me, and everyone else but you apparently, that a 24 hour warning is at least enough time for people to evacuate and emergency services to be prepared.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The_Great_Galendo said:
Doclector said:

Yeah, viruses are pretty picky about the types of cells they inhabit. Odds on they'll be completely imcompatible with our cells. They're resilient (one study (pretty speculative, I'll admit) indicates they might even survive being blown here by the solar wind from another star), but not very adaptable.

As for bacteria, besides being way too fragile to survive being exploded in the equivalent of a nuclear blast and being subject to millions of years of freezing, they have missed out of 3 billion years of biological arms race here on Earth. They'd probably not stand a chance against the bacteria already in our bodies. That's not even mentioning the climate; Earth would be a pretty hostile environment for a bacteria that has evolved on Mars for example. And even then, extraterrestrial bacteria might not even be malignant.

There's the theory of panspermia that all life on Earth might actually have come from outer space, but it's very pseudo-scientific and lacks any solid proof.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
BoogieManFL said:
Spygon said:
It is obvious to me, and everyone else but you apparently, that a 24 hour warning is at least enough time for people to evacuate and emergency services to be prepared.
You think you can effectively evacuate a city in under 24 hours sorry but that is not going to happen.