Final Fantasy X HD Shows Off Footage

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Final Fantasy X HD Shows Off Footage

The game's HD re-release is alive and well, and might inspire a few Vita purchases.

Final Fantasy games have been a little originally announced two years ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120780-Another-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Could-Destroy-Square-Enix], will hit the PS3 and Vita in the near future, and hopefully move a few handheld units along the way.

The game's tech demo is simple enough. Tidus and Yuna, the game's two main protagonists, stand in a colorful, multi-tiered structure, backed up by the To Zanarkand [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bahamut]" theme plays in the background.

Since the demo took place on a Vita, it may not look identical on a PS3, but given the Vita's processing power, there should be more similarities than differences in both the visuals and gameplay. A cross-play feature seems like a solid bet as well. FFXHD (there's a mouthful) has no release date yet, but expect to hear about it again before another two years elapse.

Source Eurogamer [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/18028932.html]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
There are so many great Final Fantasy games deserving of a remake, and we get X? I know people will contest this, but III, IV, VI, VIII, among others, really deserve more attention.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Cheezy One said:
There are so many great Final Fantasy games deserving of a remake, and we get X? I know people will contest this, but III, IV, VI, VIII, among others, really deserve more attention.
Never played 3, but 4 and 6? Those were good times...Though Kain from 4 was annoying and the last dungeon in 6 was a pain in the ass.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
They should have trolled all the fans by having the tech demo for the new graphics be the laughing scene.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Okay...and?

Several points. First off, FFX looked FINE when it came out on the PS2. Quite honestly, it doesn't even look that much better in HD with the exception of some smoothed lines. You're trying to impress, and failing at it.

Secondly, you're remaking FFX and you're putting it on a handheld. Tell me, are you just going to start putting all your games on handhelds now? You've already abandoned the console with your Kingdom Hearts series to pump out a ton of cheap handheld titles, now you're going to do the same with Final Fantasy? I guess we'll see if you follow through to put it on the main console.

And thirdly, I can't believe they're still doing this. Instead of making a new game, they're making an HD version of one they've already made. And instead of making an HD remake of the one game all the fans are clamoring for, they picked one that NO one wanted remade. It's almost as if they are actively sabotaging their own company.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
ShadowKatt said:
Okay...and?

Several points. First off, FFX looked FINE when it came out on the PS2. Quite honestly, it doesn't even look that much better in HD with the exception of some smoothed lines. You're trying to impress, and failing at it.

Secondly, you're remaking FFX and you're putting it on a handheld. Tell me, are you just going to start putting all your games on handhelds now? You've already abandoned the console with your Kingdom Hearts series to pump out a ton of cheap handheld titles, now you're going to do the same with Final Fantasy? I guess we'll see if you follow through to put it on the main console.

And thirdly, I can't believe they're still doing this. Instead of making a new game, they're making an HD version of one they've already made. And instead of making an HD remake of the one game all the fans are clamoring for, they picked one that NO one wanted remade. It's almost as if they are actively sabotaging their own company.

I wanted this remade and I doubt that I am the only one. Granted I hoped It would be the in style of the cut scenes where the graphics were at their best but for the full game but this is good enough. My point is saying that no one wanted this is a big assumption.

I can't wait to get my hands on this.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Okay...and?

^This

Other than that, the emulator version of Final Fantasy X on PCSX2 on high settings, NOW THAT'S HD!
(Look for pictures, seriously!)

This on the other hand, just looks like they put a few extra lines to hide jaggys and called it HD, no new textures or lighting, nada.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Vault Citizen said:
ShadowKatt said:
Okay...and?

I wanted this remade and I doubt that I am the only one. Granted I hoped It would be the in style of the cut scenes where the graphics were at their best but for the full game but this is good enough. My point is saying that no one wanted this is a big assumption.

More people wanted Final Fantasy VII remade?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't see a difference.
Making an HD remake for a ps2 game and then jamming it onto the tiny screen of a handheld seems pretty counterproductive to me?

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Final Fantasy X... The one that almost got me to quit the whole franchise... With the surfer wanna-be characters and the cry-baby protagonist... I HATE THIS GAME!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Eww, that's possibly definitely my least favorite Final Fantasy and that's saying something. Are they going to fix that dub? I can't imagine many people want to suffer through that laugh scene in HD.

Mar 5, 2011
Vault Citizen said:
ShadowKatt said:
Okay...and?

I think you may be the only one. X is one of the worst FF games.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Again, every time I import a game made by Square Enix/Square Soft and start a Let's Play on it they announce info on an HD remake or port. Happened when I got the Japanese Re: Chain of Memories; imported Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, LPed it and even fucking translated it to English for viewers and suddenly they announce the 1.5 ReMix, and now this happens. Square just likes to troll me! >.<

Sep 3, 2012
INTERESTING THING: that all the characters showed are the same used in DISSIDIA & 012,just saying i have both and they look the same

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Hurry up and release this!

EDIT
ShadowKatt said:
--------
In all honesty, my PS2 is broken and it's not worthwhile to get it fixed for the 3-4 games on it that I want to replay and haven't scratched through the disks for. If they need to call it HD to rerelease the game, whatever, I just want to play it again.

Secondly, I'm almost certain, maybe 99% certain that the Final Fantasy team aren't the ones working on this. What would all their designers etc do whilst the art department are brushing up the graphics and a couple of coders port it? I'm pretty sure they're just employing independent developer who make their business from ports (like Gearbox did whilst building reputation and saving money for their first real release). The money will easily be made back, most rereleases have sold really well.

Thirdly, whilst X is a very divisive game, for many people it was their favourite FF
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.400791-Poll-Best-Final-Fantasy-Game?page=1
and I can understand the rerelease won#t attract you, but from the attention the first announcement garnered and the number of people putting it in their top 20 all times games list recently on the forum, I think there probably is a significant amount of people who do want this rerelease, and it will probably be enough to make back any money they've spent porting it (maybe not enough to make it look significantly better, hence just a touch up) and that money will hopefully go into a new game, that may be good or may be terrible judging by the way Squeenix works =D

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
VanQQisH said:
Eww, that's possibly definitely my least favorite Final Fantasy and that's saying something. Are they going to fix that dub? I can't imagine many people want to suffer through that laugh scene in HD.
Oh come on now, the laugh scene wasn't that bad. The original japanese only gets a break because hardly anyone watches it and it sounds more like a crow is laughing.

Anyway, OT, I do not see the point of this. FFX still looks okay and people are more interested in other titles, namely 7 and Kingdom Hearts 3.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
MiskWisk said:
VanQQisH said:
Oh come on now, the laugh scene wasn't that bad. The original japanese only gets a break because hardly anyone watches it and it sounds more like a crow is laughing.

Anyway, OT, I do not see the point of this. FFX still looks okay and people are more interested in other titles, namely 7 and Kingdom Hearts 3.
Holy shit, dude! I just spat coke all over my keyboard thanks to you. I had no idea the Japanese laugh was just as... laughable as the English one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
I know I've made a lot of polishing a turd jokes lately, but I think Squeeeenix is trying to perfect the process.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
loa said:
I don't see a difference.
Making an HD remake for a ps2 game and then jamming it onto the tiny screen of a handheld seems pretty counterproductive to me?
it looks a bit better but its a hd remake not a total remake. beside the ps vita is alot stronger then the ps2 was since d3 is on there and damn it looks just a good as its console counterpart

that's disgaea 3 if you were wondering