Mice Get Drunk For Science, May Help Humans Sober Up

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Mice Get Drunk For Science, May Help Humans Sober Up

Getting rodents wasted may lead to a cure for human inebriation.

Researchers at UCLA may have figured out a working cure for drunkenness, and no, it doesn't involved sitting in a room by yourself for 12 hours. According to a new study that appears in the publication Nature Nanotechnology, scientists are testing a new nanocapsule capable of digesting alcohol all on its own, and the first test subjects were drunken lab mice.

The inebriated rodents were give a new type of injection that includes two different enzymes encased within microscopic capsules; The first enzyme processes the alcohol but also produces dangerous hydrogen peroxide, while the second enzyme breaks down the hydrogen peroxide to protect the host. When given to the lab mice, the blood-alcohol levels of the adorable drunks plummeted, sobering them up in a hurry.

The primary goal of the research was to prove the legitimacy of the nanocapsule delivery method, which has the potential to revolutionize the way drugs are administered. With that objective seemingly accomplished, the scientists will continue their work in the hopes of creating an orally administered drunkenness cure for humans. Let's hope their research is completed by next New Year's Eve.

Source: Nature Nanotechnology [http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2012.264.html]

Image credit: dullhunk [http://www.flickr.com/photos/dullhunk/7095792663/sizes/m/in/photostream/]

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I believe i once read that there was already such a thing as a sober up pill (can;t for the life of me remember where, or any details at all) Let me see if i can find that.

This could have some fun Saturday night potential, if (ever) affordable. Just go on a bender, inject yourself with that, and continue like you just got there.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Longstreet said:
I believe i once read that there was already such a thing as a sober up pill (can;t for the life of me remember where, or any details at all) Let me see if i can find that.

This could have some fun Saturday night potential, if (ever) affordable. Just go on a bender, inject yourself with that, and continue like you just got there.
You're completely right; here are the legal issues, the BAC may drop to 0 but the brain and the rest of the nervous system doesn't get sober instantly, so you will get people who can drive drunk but it won't show up in alcohol tests if they take these pills.

So yeah :p

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
And if the second enzyme doesn't work, well, we bleach your stomach. But hey: science!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Why get those poor mice drunk? I am sure for this kind of experiment you'd manage to find a lot of students willing to get smashed for science.

And I wonder if enzyme one could be used in a supervillain scheme. Slip one pill into a martini and goodbye mister Bond!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
But I like feeling dizzy after a few beers, its part of the reason why I get drunk, you know that lucid feeling, everyone is your bestesth mate ever.

Longstreet said:

Your thinking of the KGB anti hangover tablet

It took them a few years to develop, it was for agents to get shit faced with opponents in drinking matches or something like that, instead of stopping them getting drunk it merely stopped the after effect (i.e. the BANGING HEADACHE after a vodka binge). Its called something or other... more popularly known as "RU 21"

Google search RU 21 gives us this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipokhmelin

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Drunk mice sounds like the most adorably hilarious thing ever.

This sounds like it could make taxi journeys home a lot less nauseating. Do want.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
DigitalSushi said:
But I like feeling dizzy after a few beers

Longstreet said:

Your thinking of the KGB anti hangover tablet

It took them a few years to develop, it was for agents to get shit faced with opponents in drinking matches or something like that, instead of stopping them getting drunk it merely stopped the after effect (i.e. the BANGING HEADACHE after a vodka binge). Its called something or other... more popularly known as "RU 21"

Google search RU 21 gives us this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipokhmelin
Yea found that, called the KG-2 (Same stuff, different name). Take it after a night out and no headache! Sounds good, put ill stick to water.

Hopefully in a few years we can all go completely crazy, take something, and be completely sober to drive home. Would be specially handy in the winter months.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I don't think you need to use mice. Just pay some frat boys 10$. Heck fuck the payment just set out a few crates of beer in front of them and watch the binge drinking start.

Gordon Freemonty

Aug 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Bah! Scrubs already invented the best hang-over cure.
http://popcultureplaypen.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/scrubs-hangover.jpg
And isn't getting drunk the whole point of drinking?
Not for me. I enjoy my beers for the taste but I'm not too fond of the spins in bed.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Quaxar said:
Why get those poor mice drunk? I am sure for this kind of experiment you'd manage to find a lot of students willing to get smashed for science.
I would imagine the scientists had a bigger issue with the "Let's inject untested drugs into human beings!" part than the lack of test subjects.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
Quaxar said:
I would imagine the scientists had a bigger issue with the "Let's inject untested drugs into human beings!" part than the lack of test subjects.
But that's the beauty... nobody has to know. You could just go to a party and hand them out, if the news are clean of any events for the next week you're clear. And as a bonus if something happened anyone would suspect a new synthetic drug, leading to an increase in drug laws that mean less availability of those, thereby creating a bigger demand for alcohol intoxication instead and thus causing a bigger demand and fund for your drunkenness cure.
Everybody wins!

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Drunk mice sounds like the most adorably hilarious thing ever.

This sounds like it could make taxi journeys home a lot less nauseating. Do want.
Mice on LSD (or other hallucinogens) is more fun. Plus they learn faster (no, really).

Assuming something of this sort could be safely used in humans (we're rather different from mice), I'm not sure I could see much purpose to this outside of hospital settings or for, like, spies and the like, maybe.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The first enzyme processes the alcohol but also produces dangerous hydrogen peroxide, while the second enzyme breaks down the hydrogen peroxide to protect the host.
Scientists:

"Guys we forgot to load the second enzyme!!"

D:

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Well this sounds like a WONDERFUL idea that I'm SURE is NEVER going to be EXPLOITED in ways that would lead to HORRIBLE INJURIES and DEATHS by the COMMON DRUNKARD! To say NOTHING of people who would NO WAY think this means they can drink MORE with NO EFFECTS WHATSOEVER!

"Dude, I'm drive to cool... I took the pill!"

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Johnny.jpg
Hey...

I'm the J-money man and I approve.

(hic)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Isn't the point of drinking alcohol to get drunk? If you were drinking for the taste, you can remove the alcohol and have the same taste minus the burn of alcohol. unless you like the burn, in which case you can learn fire eating.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Too bad here in the USA we have the FDA standing between us, the future, and sobriety. Expect 3 more years of redundant testing that already proves it's safe for humans, followed by 5 years of approval processes in their ass backwards byzantine nightmare fueled maze of bureaucracy. And once that's over, expect them to insist on 2 more years of testing after that.

Ten years and 800 million dollars later you now have a sobriety pill, becoming the last nation on earth to approve the goddamn remedy. Late by merely 9 years to the rest of the world. Enjoy your binge parties Europe!