New BioShock Infinite Trailer Makes a Deal With the Devil

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
New BioShock Infinite Trailer Makes a Deal With the Devil

Catch a glimpse of the darker side of Columbia.

The March 26, 2013 release date of BioShock Infinite is fast approaching, and developer Irrational is further teasing fans with another look at the game's dark and mysterious storyline. The trailer - titled "Lamb of Columbia" - shows off a great deal more action than most of the trailers before it, and also offers a glimpse into parts of Columbia that we haven't yet seen.

One of the more interesting vistas shown off in the new video is what appears to be a testing lab, complete with creepy experimentation equipment and, of course, giant bolts of electricity. We also get a new glimpse at the robotic Songbird in action as it deftly maneuvers about the floating platforms of Columbia.

[video=6866]

A bit of story teasing also occurs, with lead man Booker DeWitt referencing a "deal" with Zachary Comstock, the apparent vilain and self-proclaimed prophet of the city. Oh, and there's a massive, Wizard of Oz-esque tornado, too.

Having played the first few hours of the game for our interview with BioShock Infinite writer Drew Holmes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10082-BioShock-Infinite-Hands-On-Preview].

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Do i need to have played the other BioShock games to get the story? Yes, I know I'm a terrible person, and yes I'll get to them when I have time, but for now ... well?

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Zombie Sodomy said:
Do i need to have played the other BioShock games to get the story? Yes, I know I'm a terrible person, and yes I'll get to them when I have time, but for now ... well?
From what I've seen/played, you'll do just fine with the game without having played the other two. It takes place in a completely different setting. There's a few nice touches that nod back to people who have played the original games, but nothing that will make your experience any less enjoyable if you haven't played them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Zombie Sodomy said:
I'd imagine "no" because there seems to be no connection at all to the previous storylines or Rapture. Indeed they seemed to have made a big deal about having pretty much started a whole new setting and lore.

THAT said, I've personally felt they should not have used the "Bioshock" name on this one, and are only doing so because of the name recognition and the reaction to the first ones.

-

I'll also say that as time goes on and we see more reveals, it seems progressively more likely that the rumors about the game pretty much ripping off Dean Koontz (the story "Watchers" if I remember) are likely, even if I suppose the twist wasn't new even there (being vaguely similar to what they did at the end of "The Ring").

The basic premise of the story in question being that there is a cult of religious psychopaths out to kill a little kid who is basically supposed to turn into "The Evil One" (Anti-Christ, Damien, etc... you know the drill). The entire thing revolving around his mother and a token tough guy fighting off this cult and escaping... with the twist at the end being that The Cult was not crazy, and they were right all along (and now everyone is pretty much F@cked). Sort of like how you find out at the end of "The Ring" that the little girl was not a vengeful ghost so much as she was pure evil, and dumping her into the well was the right thing to do, and oh hey... they let her go.

This could of course still all be wrong, but it does increasingly seem like it might be moving in that direction. I doubt it will be exactly the same thing, but I'm already beginning to think that the finale is likely to be a situation where Booker succeeds, and at least one ending is going to have that girl pretty much wrecking the world (or setting out to do so), with the initial bad guy, buck like the one in the original Bioshock, actually turning out to not be all that bad and actually right about... a lot of things...

That said someone should probably ask 2k "Would you kindly get this game out already?" :)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Now that's how we make a trailer people. This game wasn't on my watchlist at all (I'm not a fan of even the slightest bit of creepy) but darn that makes me want to play this game.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This is the first game I have really looked forward to for quite some time. I really hope it lives up to the hype. There's a lot of reasons to be optimistic about such as the fact they cut multiplayer because they couldn't make it fit rather than tacking it on anyway. Plus the inclusion of an extra difficulty level that's more like a "classic" shooter.

Here is hoping that the development problems don't affect the games quality.

Zombie Sodomy said:
They have said that the games are linked, but I don't think they mean in the sense of the games stories so much as that they are set in the same "world".

Like how Fallout 3 and New Vegas are, or Dragon Age 1 and 2. Playing all of them will mean you get more out of them, but you won't be left confused if you haven't.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
BrotherRool said:
Now that's how we make a trailer people. This game wasn't on my watchlist at all (I'm not a fan of even the slightest bit of creepy) but darn that makes me want to play this game.
Yeah, that is a really good story trailer. Answers a few questions, but for every one answered, it brings up a dozen more (in a good way, not the "da fuck is this shit" kinda way)

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not normally a player of FPSs, but i pre-ordered this anyway, ultimate songbird edition... and this is the most excited i've been for a game since dark souls...

All the trailers and teasers have been amazing and intriguing.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Therumancer said:
Zombie Sodomy said:
I'd imagine "no" because there seems to be no connection at all to the previous storylines or Rapture. Indeed they seemed to have made a big deal about having pretty much started a whole new setting and lore.

THAT said, I've personally felt they should not have used the "Bioshock" name on this one, and are only doing so because of the name recognition and the reaction to the first ones.

-

I'll also say that as time goes on and we see more reveals, it seems progressively more likely that the rumors about the game pretty much ripping off Dean Koontz (the story "Watchers" if I remember) are likely, even if I suppose the twist wasn't new even there (being vaguely similar to what they did at the end of "The Ring").

The basic premise of the story in question being that there is a cult of religious psychopaths out to kill a little kid who is basically supposed to turn into "The Evil One" (Anti-Christ, Damien, etc... you know the drill). The entire thing revolving around his mother and a token tough guy fighting off this cult and escaping... with the twist at the end being that The Cult was not crazy, and they were right all along (and now everyone is pretty much F@cked). Sort of like how you find out at the end of "The Ring" that the little girl was not a vengeful ghost so much as she was pure evil, and dumping her into the well was the right thing to do, and oh hey... they let her go.

This could of course still all be wrong, but it does increasingly seem like it might be moving in that direction. I doubt it will be exactly the same thing, but I'm already beginning to think that the finale is likely to be a situation where Booker succeeds, and at least one ending is going to have that girl pretty much wrecking the world (or setting out to do so), with the initial bad guy, buck like the one in the original Bioshock, actually turning out to not be all that bad and actually right about... a lot of things...

That said someone should probably ask 2k "Would you kindly get this game out already?" :)
While I generally enjoy twists where the bad guys turn out to be right all along. I don't know if that would be good here, nor would it be setting a good precedent. Comstock is a Christian Fundamentalist cult leader who gets his cult to follow him into a floating city, where he himself is worshiped, along with the perversion of 3 of the founding fathers (Washington, Jefferson, Franklin) as angelic deified figures. They refer to everything below the city (so basically the whole world) as "Sodom". That is quite scary. But ultimately Irrational holds the writing quill, not me. We'll just have to see what happens.

If I know anything about Levine though, he is far from predictable. I personally think the ending will have something to do with using Elizabeth's powers to the effect of Time Travel, or where she supercharges the weapons of Columbia to be used to "drown in flame the mountains of man".

I just can't wait to get on some Skylines and roam around some really large areas. The whole city in the sky things has a lot of potential for setting up memorable locations, and the 1999 mode that will supposedly make the difficulty like system shock 2... that will keep me playing for a long time.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This game is exactly the reason why I play video games. An amazing world, interesting characters and an intriguing plot; I'm calling it now, Bioshock Infinite for GOTY!

Anyone else notice just how "movie-like" the structure and presentation of this trailer was? More so than others I have seen recently at any rate.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ishal said:
[

While I generally enjoy twists where the bad guys turn out to be right all along. I don't know if that would be good here, nor would it be setting a good precedent. Comstock is a Christian Fundamentalist cult leader who gets his cult to follow him into a floating city, where he himself is worshiped, along with the perversion of 3 of the founding fathers (Washington, Jefferson, Franklin) as angelic deified figures. They refer to everything below the city (so basically the whole world) as "Sodom". That is quite scary. But ultimately Irrational holds the writing quill, not me. We'll just have to see what happens.

If I know anything about Levine though, he is far from predictable. I personally think the ending will have something to do with using Elizabeth's powers to the effect of Time Travel, or where she supercharges the weapons of Columbia to be used to "drown in flame the mountains of man".

I just can't wait to get on some Skylines and roam around some really large areas. The whole city in the sky things has a lot of potential for setting up memorable locations, and the 1999 mode that will supposedly make the difficulty like system shock 2... that will keep me playing for a long time.
It's all speculation at this point, based on some early rumors. Incidently, being right about something doesn't mean your right about everything, and if the guy wasn't presented in a negative light with a lot of bad features, you wouldn't be willing to treat him as the bad guy and perform your ill advised rescue. If the guy was a kind and gentle spiritual leader, and the girl your rescueing had her head spinning around as she spider walked everywhere and vomited pea soup, it wouldn't be much of a twist ending. Hence why I mentioned "Watchers" the christian guys in that were a group of complete jerks, and the story was written so you were cheering for the apparent good guys, that the bad guys were 100% correct in their central beliefs was the big twist at the end. Likewise the other, less appropriate example I used "The Ring" wouldn't have worked quite as well if you weren't lead to believe that you were dealing with a somewhat sympathetic, vengeful spirit, as opposed to pure evil that was imprisoned and trying to escape.

Just my thoughts on the subject, and it's not something I'm totally invested in believing, just that it seems like it might be going in that direction.

To put things into perspective, this would ultimatly be something of a re-tread of Bioshock as well, which is also why they might not do it again. To put it bluntly Ryan was kind of a jerk on a lot of levels, but through the entire game your lead to believe he was some kind of insane maniac whose plans fell apart. It's not until you confront him you realize that he might not be the nicest guy in the world, but he's also not all THAT bad, and close to being a good guy from a certain perspective, especially when you realize who the real bad guy is, and the exact role you play in the entire thing, which also explains why he's been acting the way he has towards you, as opposed to inviting you up for a spot of tea while you discussed how to try and save the city from the actual bad guy.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Zombie Sodomy said:
I'm sure this has been answered already but I don't think so; it's a separate world and while it may have some nods to the original I think it's a brand new story with a similar style and/or premise.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
Zombie Sodomy said:

There's obviously a thematic overlap and an even greater mechanical one. That's plenty of reason to give it the same name.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I feel as though I shouldn't have watched that.

I mean, a lot those spoilers(?) are pretty cliche, but still, I feel as though I know too much.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Okay, so, let's see what Bioshock Infinite has going for it this far.
-Steampunk setting
-Female in need of rescuing as main plot
-Supernatural powers
-One or more supernatural demonic entities
-Fighting against law enforcement
-First person
-Grizzled badass lead dude with training as some sort of government assassin

Wait...that sounds familiar.
Oh right, that sounds an awful lot like Dishonored, doesn't it?

EDIT: Well, some diligent people with sharp minds and good points have pointed out that my comparison is kind of unreasonable. Looking over it again, I see that now. So..sorry about that. I was wrong and talking out my ass. Apologies to all.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
Mr.Squishy said:
-Steampunk setting
-Supernatural powers
-First person

- We need more of the Steampunk setting, so that's not a bad similarity.
- Emily and Elizabeth aren't even in the same category as character types, one is supporting, and one is a main character (at this point its pretty obvious that this is anything but a "rescue" mission)
- Vigors/ Plasmids, some sort of genetic mutation, not really "supernatural" hence the name "Bio"shock
- Not even a similarity tied to both of these games alone
- Fighting against law enforcement and rebels
- Just don't
- Not an assassin, just a retired pinkerton agent. So more like a grizzled hired pmc/government goomba

So no it doesn't just sound like Dishonored, does it? Even if you want to play it like that, this does what Dishonored tried to copy, but better

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, that was multiple flavours of awesome. You've made your case , game. You can come out now please.

Looking forward to seeing Elizabeth is capable of. In the other previews and such her abilities were interesting and potentially freaky, but generally benign. This trailer is clearly suggesting that, with a bit of motivation, she might just end up ruining everyone's day. That last image didn't exactly suggest that she was out to give the world a great big-bosomed hug. Perhaps she finally gets to see the world, decides that she doesn't much like it and then realises that she can actually do something about it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
-Steampunk setting
One is early 20th century fantasy with a heavy dash of alternate history, but still set in our world. The other is a fantasy world entirely of its own that bears some resemblance to 18th century Europe, if Europe was an archipelago. They're quite different.

It seems pretty clear at this point that Elizabeth's rescue is not the main plot. It happens early on and is what kicks off the main plot. Also, beyond being female and getting rescued at some point, I'm struggling to see much similarity between a child empress and a young woman 'specimen' capable of trans-dimensional magical shenanigans.
-Supernatural powers
Like in every fantasy game ever you mean? Man, you know what this reminds me of? Prince of Persia! Cause, y'know, supernatural powers and all.
What's the demonic entity in Infinite?

Just like Grand Theft Auto. right? Anyway, you also fight the rebels, the Vox Populi. Also, robots and ghosts and whatnot.

-First person
Oh my God, first person! It's just like Halo!

Corvo was a royal bodyguard. Booker is an ex-Pinkerton agent. Leeeeedle bit different.

No, not really.

Even less so considering that Bioshock Infinite was announced some time before Dishonored.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
And just when I thought this nice, bright game couldn't get any darker those last shots of Elizabeth give me this feeling of incredible foreboding. I love it! Gimme now!