Depression Quest Addresses Pain of Mental Illness

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Depression Quest Addresses Pain of Mental Illness

A new browser game seeks to enlighten players on the realities of depression, and how it can be overcome.

Many gamers experience the digital lives of videogame soldiers, wizards, and action heroes on a daily basis. What's very rare, however, to see a game that depicts the burdens of those suffering daily from mental illnesses. It's strange, considering that depression is a reality experienced by one in ten Americans, and in many cases largely goes untreated. That's something Zoe Quinn and Patrick Lindsey are hoping to address with their new browser game Depression Quest. Presented as a piece of interactive fiction, this game puts players in the shoes of an unremarkable 20-year old struggling with feelings of helplessness, where daily choices can either encourage his recovery or deepen his despair.

Depression Quest asks players to experience entirely ordinary situations, ranging from phone calls with a girlfriend, to meeting your mother, to working on a personal project. Each scene offers multiple-choice responses that drive the plot, the twist being that "healthy" choices are struck out as the protagonist's depression becomes entrenched. As the game progresses, players can eventually discover (or close off) plot threads that lead to treatment and recovery. Before that happens however, the player will need to surpass a steady stream of anxiety and self-doubt that makes even asking for help incredibly difficult.

Players should be warned that Depression Quest isn't something that's especially pleasant to sit through given its subject matter. The game's disclaimer advises that players suffering from depression should consider treatment before playing, while suicidal players should seek professional help and avoid the game entirely. That said, the game's tone has struck a very powerful chord among its players, many of whom <a href=http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/depression-quest>are voicing their thoughts and experiences on Tumblr.

"We've had a major impact on depression sufferers," Quinn told IGN, "and we're getting an outpouring of letters from people suffering from it who were touched by it, including several people who started taking their medication again after playing the game. This is an amazing feeling and makes me feel like we accomplished the stated goal of making depression sufferers knowing that they're not alone and that someone understands."

Depression Quest can be played in full for free online, although as of writing it appears to be disabled due to high traffic. A pay-what-you-want option is also available on the game's website, with a portion of proceeds going to awareness charity iFred. If you do manage to access the game, and have the 20-30 minutes required for a playthrough, you'll very likely come away with a better understanding of what millions of people deal with on a regular basis.

Source: Depression Quest, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/19/a-game-about-suffering>IGN

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
I was one of those people it helped... was on the brink Friday night and it pulled me off it. Would have restarted meds if I HAD any - seriously, they just don't work for some reason. Thank you for making this game, Zoe and Patrick. You saved at least one life, even if that life isn't worth much of anything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
There is a reason why people dont make games like these:
peopel paly games to escape depression, not explore it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I "played" this. It's a very sobering experience. A lot of the healthy options were crossed out for me, it would seem I don't handle certain situations in the best way possible. I've had some pretty low moments in my life, nothing I'd describe as depression but I can at least empathise with those who do suffer, to some degree at least.

We should have more games like this.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Barda236 said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
I was one of those people it helped... was on the brink Friday night and it pulled me off it. Would have restarted meds if I HAD any - seriously, they just don't work for some reason. Thank you for making this game, Zoe and Patrick. You saved at least one life, even if that life isn't worth much of anything.
Don't talk like that man, no matter how bad things get, life is still worth living, and I'm not talking out of my ass either, I still am suffering from depression, but I am pulling through with the help of my family and friends. Also, you have to try a couple of meds before you find one that works for you. Some kinds just don't work for somepeople.
Maybe it was just me personally, but for the love of all that is holy don't just quickly move from one med to another, especially from an SSRI to an MAOI or vice versa. These meds have real side effects that need to be taken into account, and do have a withdraw period that usually requires tapering off. I personally consider them a last resort to make the hell around you tolerable as opposed to changing the hell into something better. Again, that's my life and you're living yours, but please don't go from med A to med B in two days. I had a doctor that did that...and I'd take 5 simultaneous depressions over the...well yeah. There's sites that document the kind of autonomous manic-like trance behavior that occurs in those situations.

Obligatory warning aside, you're not here forever, so try to think of each day as one more gracious opportunity to have a life that you can look back and be happy about, whatever it takes.

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
I answered them all as truthfully as I could... some were hard to determine what I'd actually do and a lot of it was skewed towards depression obviously; while my internal "1, 2, 3, 4" choices are more inline with Social Phobia, but quite a bit of them fit me exactly. In the end I only answered a few negatively and got a fairly happy "ending"

Decided to restart the game afterwards and choose the most negative answers every time, and well... I got a bit teary-eyed and anxious just quickly skimming through the responses. If I had actually read them all I probably would be bawling and depressed right now; the worst part is that I bet some people ended up down that same path just by being honest.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Strazdas said:
There is a reason why people dont make games like these:
peopel paly games to escape depression, not explore it.
Please don't presume on the rest of us.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
rhizhim said:
that game is bullshit.

it streamlines you into giving one answer. there is no option to pick another one after you are severly depressed. and thats bullshit.

i was in a similar situation but i could get around it, this game doesnt give you that option after the first 4-5 negative answers you give.

and get a cat to fight your depression. fuck that.
so if you dont like cats but could possibly get a dog or a fish instead, you will still be on the one way depression train without the possibility to stop or change the line. because only cats can fight your mood.
fuck that, again.

noble attempt, badly executed.
Just on the cat point I took it because I always know that in the end any offer or request will always end up an order, that said in real life I tend to find people wanting to get rid of kittens far more than puppies, just today from a coworker for example though I said no to that one as I live with my folks and we already have a cat. with the way the character was developing with little to no motivation there is no way he would seek a pet under his own initiative as such a cat being dumped on him in such a fashion is the only way he would be likely to get one

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
As a Registered Nurse working in a psychiatric ward aimed primarily at treating depressions, and as someone who've had a mild depression and anxiety attacks, I can only say that it is a wonderful game. The "good" answers are definitely in line with what I regularly suggest my patients try to do and it captures the feelings that a depression instills perfectly.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Without wishing to sound insensitive, I've not actually played the "game" and I don't really want to, but I find the title "Depression Quest" kind of hilarious.

All I can think of when I see that is King Graham or Roger Wilco moping about the place looking really dejected as they continue to collect ludicrous numbers of random objects.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
I played it for free, and at the end, I decided to give them some money, because that game hit really hard and true. I had the chance to find somebody to help a few years ago and by helping him, I helped myself more than I could ever imagine. That game just put me in the situation I could have been in if I hadn't found him and then others, with awfully familiar situations.

Don't be Internet Tough Guys, people. Play it, even without paying, just to have an idea what some people go through. One thing I've learned is that you can do a lot of good around yourself if you're watchful and aware of this.

Not your average Call of Duty, but more something like Journey.

Wonderful game.