Sony Gives Free PSN Credit to Loyal Customers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sony Gives Free PSN Credit to Loyal Customers

Some loyal PSN users are finding a nice little thank you note in their inboxes this morning, along with $10 worth of PSN credit.

February 20 is the big day [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121823-Sony-Teases-Possible-PlayStation-4-Announcement] for Sony, when it will (hopefully) announce the Playstation 4. In what seems like a move to help celebrate that, Sony is giving loyal Playstation Network customers a small gift of Playstation Store credit. Some lucky PSN users found the following message, along with $10 worth of PSN credit in their inboxes recently:

Thank you for being a loyal customer and fan of the Playstation Network. As a token of our appreciation, we've sent you $10.00 to spend in the Playstation Store! Click the link on below to redeem your credit.

There are conflicting reports on just how "loyal" of a customer you have to be order to receive the gift, with some people who recently spent as little as ten dollars getting it while others who have spent hundreds of dollars not getting anything. The only criteria we know for sure is that you have to have spent some money recently in the Playstation Store.

Sony has run campaigns like this in the past, where spending a certain amount of money would get you credit in the store, but those were usually advertised in advance. The fact that this gift came out of no-where suggests it was possibly done as a last-minute thing to generate hype.

$10 is a decent amount of credit, and can actually buy you a full game such as Hotline: Miami or Castle Crashers. It's a nice gesture from Sony, and a far cry from Microsoft's infamous "20 free Microsoft Points" (~25 cents) birthday promotion.

Source & Image: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/sony-is-giving-away-free-psn-credit-to-loyal-customers/]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Got my credit. Had enough in my wallet to grab Corpse Party: Book of Shadows because of it. Feels nice that Sony are willing to give things to their customers rather than just take.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Didn't get one, which sucks because I just started playing the PS3 again and this would've been a nice incentive to keep going with it :(

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Man walks up to Jack, hands him $10*

"Arigatou gozaimasu."

Oh, hey. No problem.

*Watches him walk off*

That was...unexpected.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I haven't checked my PS3 yet, but I remember getting something like this about a year ago. It surprised me, since I didn't know this was even a thing, but I was still pretty grateful. I forgot what I picked up with it, but stuff like that made me feel that there was indeed a benefit to using PSN over XBLA

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Huh. I'll have to check my inbox tonight, then.

Sony really stepped up to the plate with PSN Plus. Their customer relations have been top notch.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Will they continue to do this, or is it all over? Because I've been using PSN since early 2008 and I didn't get the message. I mean, it's just ten bucks in store credit, so I'm not going to complain about it too much, but like the article says, a friend of mine who only ever bought one thing over two or three years ago got the credit, but I've dropped quite a bit of money with PSN and apparantly that doesn't count as "loyal".

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I saw that I got this and I was confused, thinking maybe it was a scam or something, but since it's legit I'll take advantage of it.

I got a decent amount of games over PSN (mostly classics and indie games), and the only DLC I've purchased was Playstation All-Stars related stuff. If what qualifies is us using the PSN store lately, then the Kat/Emmett DLC updates might have done it?

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I got JACK. Got PS3 at release, have an nearly full 750GB HDD for game downloads, PS+ subscription, and still waiting for a refund for this fiasco ( http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Plus-Support/Titles-Showed-Free-for-Plus-Members-Charged-In-The-Cart/m-p/39527381/thread-id/1113 ) I love the PS3, but screw you Sony. Loyalty my ass.

Never mind, retract that, I got my my $10. I unscrew you Sony.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well that was a nice move on Sony's part. Don't own a PS3 myself, but still, i like it!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Neat-o.

But I don't know what to buy. D:

Maybe I could get Tokyo Jungle. Or maybe Disgaea 2. Or maybe I'll save it for when Hotline Miami comes out.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
1st. Every one who has a PS3 * [PSN] * is the official Sony contact line like in the articles image. I pointed this out because I imagine there's going to be a surge of mail all your friends to recieve X-dollars again soon. since you can always trust [PSN]
to be official business.

2nd. I'm not 100% but I think there's a way to sort of block messages coming from Sony. Otherwise I'm not sure what would be an issues with messaging "loyal" users.

I received the free $10.00 as well of course. Though I thought I was getting it for PS+ at first lol.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Still doesn't beat the console I got from Microsoft for being a loyal XBL customer, but that was very limited.