Updated: PlayStation 4 Becomes Reality

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Updated: PlayStation 4 Becomes Reality

Just as we anticipated, Sony has pulled back the curtain on the PlayStation 4. The console has just been officially announced for the first time after months of rumors, speculation, and leaks. Sony called the announcement "a moment of truth" and "a bold step forward" in the company's future in the gaming space.

Update 1: When it comes to features, the PlayStation 4 includes some rather interesting new concepts. The console allows you to record your gameplay at all times, trim clips, and share them with others. You can also watch live gameplay of your friends as they play, and even take of their controller to help them out of a tough spot they can't get past.

The UI itself is completely different from that of the PS3, and appears much more like the Xbox 360 UI, with boxes and geometric navigation rather than rows of icons.

Update 2:
The PS4 is capable of being put into a low-power state that allows the console to complete downloads while not being fully powered up. You can also pause your live play sessions and resume them later using the low-power option, ensuring that your console doesn't eat up power as it waits for you to return.

Update 3:
Sony is emphasizing the connectivity between the PlayStation Vita and the PS4, promising that remote play will finally become a real emphasis. The company is accomplishing this using technology from Gaikai, a company which it recently purchased.

The PS4 will also play host to all the usual streaming media subjects, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, as well as several sports networks.

Update 4: The PlayStation 4 will allow you to play your games as they download. For example, if you have just the first few levels of a downloadable title completed, you'll be able to play that content while the PS4 finishes downloading the remainder. That's a pretty important bullet point, given that the PS3 is notorious for its downloading and updating wait times.

Update 5: Still no sighting of the actual console yet, but at least we know what the controller looks like [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122262-Sony-Unveils-the-DualShock-4-Controller].

Update 6: The PlayStation 4 will launch in Holiday 2013. Oh, and we never got to see the console itself.

Update 7: And it's a wrap! Sony decided not to show off the console itself, but there's plenty of details regarding the upcoming release to ponder over. We'll be further covering tonight's events in the coming hours, so get browsing!

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Well, this was a huge surprise. Everyone already knew this was what it would be didn't they?

Now we have shinier graphics... Say hello to an era of games costing even more to develop, causing developers to only release the absolute blandest safest games in a never ending bid to still make money on the quest for completely unnecessary photo realism. Oh wait...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
So far, I'm not impressed with the PS4. However, it is early into it. Heck, we don't even know what the actual console looks like yet! I'll keep watching.

Also, can someone tell me if Unified Memory is better then whatever kind of Memory the WiiU has? Cause if it isn't any better, then the WiiU has more Memory then the PS4!

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
8Gb of DDR5 RAM? That's INSANE!
Yeah, that's almost as good as my computer! Wait...

I'm surprised they named it the playstation 4. I wonder if it's going to be released as something else in Japan.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Also, can someone tell me if Unified Memory is better then whatever kind of Memory the WiiU has? Cause if it isn't any better, then the WiiU has more Memory then the PS4!
Flash memory is not RAM.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Guy Jackson said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Flash memory is not RAM.
My bad. I'm not too well with Computer/Console Components.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Should have called it the PS5... you know, just to mess with people's heads. Maybe they could even charge more then.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
The fact that you can turn off the console, and then boot it back up to pick up right where you left off is uber cool. Some of the streaming stuff looks interesting, however you might have to be always-online for that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm just waiting for info to confirm or disconfirm the "Used-Game-Blocking" rumors. Because if Playstation doesn't do it, there's no way in hell XBox WILL do it unless they want to send players flocking to their biggest competetor in droves.

I know I'll sure as hell be picking up whichever one doesn't block used games (assuming that one does and one doesn't).

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Notsomuch said:
Adam Jensen said:
I'm surprised they named it the playstation 4. I wonder if it's going to be released as something else in Japan.
pureisuteishion po (not shi) probably.

Probably its why 4 looks almost like triangle

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It's going to be quite a change. RAM has been holding back console games in many more ways than just how phat the textures can be. This should open things up nicely.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Apparently you'll be able to share your gaming in real time and allow your friends to take over of your controller over the internet. Yeah, can't wait to see that get hacked. xD