Blizzard Bringing Diablo III to PlayStation 3 & 4

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Blizzard Bringing Diablo III to PlayStation 3 & 4

The venerable action RPG will be playable on both the PS3 and PS4.

One of the last partners brought on stage at Sony's press conference was Blizzard Entertainment. The VP of Story and Franchise Development at Blizzard - and the creative guru in Irvine - Chris Metzen announced the Diablo III will be coming to PlayStation - not only on new PS4, but the action RPG will be available on the PS3 too.

"I'm pleased to announce that Sony and Blizzard are teaming up to take over the world," Metzen quipped.

Metzen reminded the crowd that Blizzard got its start on the consoles with Lost Vikings and the company was desperately looking for a way to break back into that lucrative market. He's confident they have figured out the perfect game to do just that ... the one released last year to resounding cries of mediocrity - Diablo III.

There's a lot to be said for a PC developer going into console games with a solid and proven franchise. Metzen said the team has figured out how to perfect the interface to work on a controller as opposed to a mouse and keyboard. He even promised a 4 player coop mode that works really well in their internal tests.

"Hope to see you all adventuring across the darkened fields of Tristram very soon," he said before taking his leave after what seemed like a very long 3 minutes devoid of any real information.

I can't say I'm very excited about this. When Metzen was announced I hoped he'd reveal a new IP like the rumored new MMO in development at Blizzard - codenamed Titan. Oh well. Diablo it is. I wonder how the real money auction house will work ...

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjjZGyYcH9E

Yeah that's about all I gotta say to that.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I hope not a single person buys it for either console.
Fuck Diablo III and fuck Blizzard.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Sylveria said:
An always-online RPG through Sony's always-unreliable network!? HURRAY!
This is a good point. Given the stability of PSN and the stability of Diablo 3's Battle.NET I estimate there is about a 10% chance this game will even work on any given day :p

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Venerable? As in "commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity"? How? It's less than a year old! And there's nothing dignified about it. Certainly nobody respects it. Diablo II could be said to be venerable, I think, but not Diablo III.

Abusing words is a bad thing to do and you should feel bad for doing it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I can just hear the sales not happening.

Listen...

*Wind Rustling*

That's what it will sound like.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
so the last time they made consoles games was the Snes days and then they abbandond console for PC, now decades later they claim they want to get back to their roots ? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ok Blizz if you say so lol

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
...So does that mean that Blizzard can finally take out the terrible DRM that they implemented into Diablo 3 on the computer versions? If not, I can only imagine the community labeling this as another reason to hate Blizzard.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I get the feeling this was more about the idea of "WE GOT BLIZZARD TO MAKE A GAME ON OUR CONSOLE!" than what the actual game was. Sorta like what Nintendo did with Arkham City. "See! We got someone who makes games you like to make a game for our system!"

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Awesome, so now its the console crowds turn to be disappointed.

No seriously just wait for a possible Torchlight 2 port...I'm not kidding.

AstaresPanda said:
so the last time they made consoles games was the Snes days and then they abbandond console for PC, now decades later they claim they want to get back to their roots ? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ok Blizz if you say so lol
They made more than that, Warcraft 2 on PSOne, Starcraft on n64, Diablo 1 on PSOne.

SpaceGhost

May 5, 2012
Soooo disappointing that Jay Wilson was fired...ahem...left 'voluntarily'...before this event. I would have loooved to respond to this announcement with a F#CK THAT LOSER meme.

Can I still do it? Awwww, probably not to poor Chris Metzen. Damn you, Blizzard! You win this time!

Well...except for that loser game you were just 'exploring console options' for when you changed the UI to a six-button layout...

HEY!!! WAIT JUST A GOSH DARNED MINUTE!!!!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'd thought they'd announced this already, oh well.

But yeah, any of you console players out there reading this, you should give this a pass, go play DmC or something, it's WAY better

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I swear, they're all being forced to act interested in the public when they make these calls. Jay Wilson should be doing all this since it's probably more his fault.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
They waited too long if they are trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of this. Even though D3's sales were immense, I doubt they would rake in the cash this late in the cycle. Especially with how 'forgettable' the whole game was.

Pheonixe

Aug 23, 2010
I was so excited when Chris Metzen showed up, and then I realized what he was going to announce.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
AstaresPanda said:
I went looking for the game you're talking about and curiously, this came up:
A what-if scenario had Blizzard made more games for classic consoles.

What was the game they really made?