Photos: Get Up Close and Personal With the DualShock 4

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Photos: Get Up Close and Personal With the DualShock 4

Get an eyeful of Sony's new controller.

We've seen the leaked prototype images, we've seen it on stage, and now Sony has finally released some hi-res close up shots of the PlayStation 4's DualShock 4 controller. The company has finally done away with the basic PlayStation controller design that it has been hanging on to since the PS1 days in favor of what appears to be a much more ergonomic - and dare I say comfortable - form factor.

[gallery=1061]

What do you think? Does the DualShock 4 hit a home run, or do you miss the old days already?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Oh god damn it it still has those horrible triggers. I was really hopping they would return to the Pressure sensitive L2 R2 that the PS2 controller had. The PS3's triggers are just to wide and felt to soft to press to actually feel good like the Xbox's triggers are.

And they got rid of the classic Start and select buttons. This saddens me. I do not see why these "Options" and "Share" buttons could not be in the shape of the Start and select from old generations.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I won't judge the controller until I've held it in my hand. But why get all.... 'touchy feely'? I was hoping for an answer to that question.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I have to admit, it's a very nice looking controller. Hopefully the entire console has a similar design.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
Oh god damn it it still has those horrible triggers. I was really hopping they would return to the Pressure sensitive L2 R2 that the PS2 controller had. The PS3's triggers are just to wide and felt to soft to press to actually feel good like the Xbox's triggers are.

And they got rid of the classic Start and select buttons. This saddens me. I do not see why these "Options" and "Share" buttons could not be in the shape of the Start and select from old generations.
Weren't the ps3 triggers horrible because they bent down instead of up making it easy for your finger to slip off? The triggers on this one bend up so that doesn't look like a problem anymore.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
The handles look like they would fit in the hand better then the old ones. I had a problem accidentally hitting the trigger buttons on the PS3, looks like they haven't changed much and I'd have the same problem. At least it sinks down, rather then letting your finger fall off. Also does the Options button act as a pause button now?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
With the screen that small, what are they really hoping to accomplish with it? Honestly, I'm more concerned about the "Share" button, not because of the function, but it just sends me the message that Sony's going down the path of "It's more than just a gaming device!" and "Gaming isn't for lonely people anymore!" that Microsoft is going...

As far as design, it looks a little bulky, but that might be a good thing. Still better than the 360 controller...

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Burst6 said:
Solo-Wing said:

Weren't the ps3 triggers horrible because they bent down instead of up making it easy for your finger to slip off? The triggers on this one bend up so that doesn't look like a problem anymore.
No I just hated the flap triggers in general. They barely needed any pressure to push, they pushed in in an awkward way, and they were way to wide.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
it looks like if the original controller ate too many pies and ice cream

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
With the screen that small, what are they really hoping to accomplish with it? Honestly, I'm more concerned about the "Share" button, not because of the function, but it just sends me the message that Sony's going down the path of "It's more than just a gaming device!" and "Gaming isn't for lonely people anymore!" that Microsoft is going...

As far as design, it looks a little bulky, but that might be a good thing. Still better than the 360 controller...
It's not a screen, it's a touch pad. Like laptops have. It'll probably be used to give one or two extra buttons or maybe some mouse functionality.

Solo-Wing said:
No I just hated the flap triggers in general. They barely needed any pressure to push, they pushed in in an awkward way, and they were way to wide.
I never noticed any of those problems myself. Maybe it's because i have big hands. My biggest problem is with the shape.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Thoughts, in order:

1) Wow that's a butt-ugly controller

2) But hey, it actually looks kind of ergonomic and might be more comfortable in my hand

3) Oh no its still god those god-awful triggers doesn't it?

5) And whats all this stuff in the middle? Why is any of it there? None of this looks nice or neat

6) Ah but it has the d-pad that isn't an xbox d-pad...stupid xbox d-pad

So, in conclusion, it seems like an ergonomic improvement on the Dualshock 3 that adds a lump of crap to the middle of the controller and messes with the otherwise nice aesthetic. Nice.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just find it hard to believe the company that made the Vita, which in my opinion is a beautiful, sleek and just simply an incredibly well designed device, managed to churn out this Frankenstein like abomination.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Anyone else think this remote looks identical to the Ouya remote.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
MrHide-Patten said:
At least it's a controller *cough, cough* KINECT *uncough*.
You mean at least it's a game pad, and that's a pretty weak defense.
The sticks and the directional buttons are in the right place... Its a controller, not a car, cant fuck it up too hard unless your Nintendo.
People bemone and ***** about everything these days, frankly if the 'Move' light lets me run and gun like I can in infamous 2 then ill happily see it included (so long as it turns off when not in use, reflective screens and all that).