Braid Creator Releases New Project's Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Braid Creator Releases New Project's Trailer

Jonathan Blow's put some Baebes in The Witness, just not the ones you may be thinking of.

Up until now, we've heard very little about Braid creator Jonathan Blow's The Witness, but all that's about to change now Sony's had its night of glory. Blow's Witness now has a trailer of its very own, and while we still don't know a whole lot more than we did, at least we know what it will look like.

Soundtrack provided courtesy of Classical act one of the most intriguing puzzlers ever [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUNs3vcPNk].

"In The Witness every element has purpose," says sound man Andrew Lackey [http://the-witness.net/news/]. "A key game mechanic, in fact, relies on the player's perception as they explore ... Noticing, as a buddhist would call it, is key to discovering solutions and even finding the puzzles themselves. Nothing in The Witness is superfluous."

This one isn't just for the PS4; it's also a PC and iOS release, but no, we don't know when. Sometime in 2013 is the best Blow's prepared to do which, if he intends to wait until the PS4 comes out, may mean Christmas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122272-PlayStation-4-Confirmed-for-Holiday-2013-Release].

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/21/the-witness-first-official-trailer-is-a-thing-to-be-seen/]

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
The art style and music alone have my interest. I'm intrigued by those line drawing puzzles... I only hope it's not some sort of strange Move (or PS4 equivalent) gimmick.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Looks great

Jonathan Blow has a talent for creative use of simple mechanics. I'm optimistic ([shivers] feels weird saying that these days)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Looks dull as shit to me but then Im not the target demographic I guess! I love the Mediæval Bæbes though, great band to chill out to.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really hope that all the puzzles arent "connect the dots" minigames with the typical "breathtaking indie background" to make it unique (by unique I mean follow the indy formula).

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I mentioned it in the other thread, but it's always funny when you start playing a video, hear the first note of a song you own, and jump out of your seat. I guess the Mediaeval Baebes aren't that obscure though.

I always heard about the supposed glut of Myst clones that came out in the 90s, but I've never seen any of them. I found a possible list, but none of them exist anymore. Since I'm always looking for games that give me that Myst series feeling and rarely finding them, I know I'll be checking this out. (Possibly even when the PS4 launches since, holy shit, I might actually be getting a console when it first comes out for once.)

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks really pretty, i like it! And the music was nice as well. So, yeah. Looks interesting indeed.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Say what you want about Johnathan Blow, if this game really is as Mystlike as it looks, I'll play it to death.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Fasckira said:
Looks dull as shit to me but then Im not the target demographic I guess!
Probably not.

The test is "Did you like Myst V?"

Yes: You're the target audience

No: You're not the target audience

What's that?: You're REALLY not the target audience.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
To Myst like for me but Im sure it will sell tons based on the "from the creator of braid" logo

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Fasckira said:
Probably not.

What about "I never played it, but I loved the first and third ones"? Exile, especially. The addition of mouse-look really added to the atmosphere of being stranded on a desolate island with all these strange and fantastic mechanisms to figure out.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
lacktheknack said:
Fasckira said:
Probably not.

What about "I never played it, but I loved the first and third ones"? Exile, especially. The addition of mouse-look really added to the atmosphere of being stranded on a desolate island with all these strange and fantastic mechanisms to figure out.
Close enough, but you really should get on with 2, 4 and 5. And Myst Online. They're all excellent (even if Myst IV pulls a bit of a Mass Effect 3 on us).

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Looks kind of like Half-Life, but with Mirror's Edge's palette, and presented in Journey's artstyle. Hopefully there's more to gameplay than those line drawing puzzles. I'd actually be fine with it if was just a full on just walking exploration game if it turned out that the puzzles were an unnecessarily elaborate way to open doors or something.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Gatx said:
Looks kind of like Half-Life, but with Mirror's Edge's palette, and presented in Journey's artstyle. Hopefully there's more to gameplay than those line drawing puzzles. I'd actually be fine with it if was just a full on just walking exploration game if it turned out that the puzzles were an unnecessarily elaborate way to open doors or something.
I'm not sure the art style could be less like Journey's, at least without being your average grey-brown monstrosity.