Microsoft Spokesman Takes Potshot at PS4 Event

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Microsoft Spokesman Takes Potshot at PS4 Event

Microsoft was not overly impressed with Sony's strategy.

Larry Hryb, better known as Microsoft's Major Nelson, might not have his own show anymore [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117056-Microsoft-Cancels-Inside-Xbox], but he's still one of the more recognizable names associated with the Xbox brand. Like many gamers, Hryb watched the proceedings from Sony's PS4 event with great interest. As one might reasonably expect from a competitor, he was not thrilled with the results. Hryb took to Twitter for a potshot at Sony, marking one of the first official Microsoft responses to the new device.

In the hours leading up to the announcement, Hryb tweeted a photo of his team's 3 PM meeting, showing that they brought popcorn to watch Sony's proceedings. When the live stream ended, he shared his thoughts. "Announce a console without actually showing a console?" tweeted Hryb. "That's one approach." There are many ways to interpret Hryb's response, from a smug statement, to a harmless industry jibe, to genuine disappointment at the lack of details, but fans won't have to wonder for long. "I'll share my thoughts on the show this weekend," Hryb promised.

Microsoft may have big console plans of its own for E3 later this year, and if Hryb's comments are any indication, fans could reasonably expect to see an actual system on display. Otherwise, Sony has thrown down the gauntlet, Victorian duel style, and Microsoft is prepping a proper response. This weekend, we'll see what it has to say.

Source: GameSpot [https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/304396492314128385]

Image: last.fm [http://www.last.fm/music/Larry+Hryb,+Xbox+LIVE's+Major+Nelson]

Dec 14, 2009
PS4 Official Announcement: Better with Kine- Nope, can't say it with a straight face.

It's cute when console devs fight eachother.

It's like watching small children call each other names.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Wouldn't it be refreshing if he had said "S&£t! That looks the b@££$?s. f?$k me that is sweet. And check out the new controller. F$!k me but I want it!"

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
These people do realize that nothing they say has any real meaning until they actually announce their own console, right? No? Well then, let the pointless name-calling commence.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
I looked it up, and for those wondering, the correct pronunciation seems to be "herb," with an audible "H." I would have guessed "rib," with a silent "H" like in my own name, but there you go.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
He kind of has a point.

I mean, really, at this moment, the Playstation 4 is kind of the Schrödinger's cat of games consoles.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
If that's the only criticism he has, it means he's jealous and scared. And he should be. Especially if the rumor about Kinect being mandatory and watching you all the time is true.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
As long as both consoles have a decent stable of exclusives and aren't both steaming piles of horrid (A distinct possibility) I'll once again probably end up owning all major consoles AND a half decent gaming PC...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Microsoft's big announcement: we have thrown out the controller, everything is kinect Drivin! The PS4 trying to show us up by having motions sensors built into it's retail controller, we'll make the human body the controller now!

Seriously, in terms of sheer gaming, both consoles are probably going to be relativly on par with eachother. I can't see Microsoft outdoing Sony by "that much" unless they beef up their console, and either have it cost a bundle, or be at a significant loss for Microsoft.

In terms of gimics, I couldn't care. I don't social game, I don't share, the fact Sony already has it makes no difference unless spontaniously I got into id. Microsoft might have a similar interface. Weather people like it or not, social gaming is a significant topic and they both will have it as a sub focus for their consoles.

Sony has already shown their controller gimics with touch pad, eye motion sensor, and Vita connectivity. Microsoft's rebuttle will be more Kinect support, and possibly pad support for their version of "mobile gaming". They will announce a FPS, possibly more Destiny, or Halo. Gears of War most likely, at least something from Epic. A single original IP that is comperable to the cartoony Knack. Maybe get their hands on an RPG just to be contrary to Sony not having anything conclusive from Square. ( I admit their presentation with Square showing off a demo we saw almost a year ago, and " a new final fantasy " didn't impress me).

These are my wild preditcions. The system specs will try to be pandered off as being "supirior" to the PS4, but in likelyhood will probably be no less more powerful then eachother.