PlayStation 4 "Final Design" Still in Development

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PlayStation 4 "Final Design" Still in Development

Don't feel too bad about not seeing the PlayStation 4 during Sony's big presentation this week - the president of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan hasn't seen it yet either.

You may have noticed something a bit odd about Sony's big strategic redirectioning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122261-Updated-PlayStation-4-Becomes-Reality] and got some big news about Blizzard and Bungie, but the box itself was nowhere to be seen. Not that it really matters - what it looks like has absolutely zero bearing on how well it actually works - but it was still kind of weird.

But if you are disappointed that you haven't yet been able to lay eyes on the thing, you can take some solace in the knowledge that you're in pretty good company, because neither has Hiroshi Kawano, the president of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. "If I'm being honest, I also haven't seen its final design," he told 4Gamer [http://www.4gamer.net/games/990/G999024/20130221064/]. Even the controller was a mystery to him until the last minute; he said he'd seen numerous prototypes and "heard that an onboard touchpad was in the final specs," but only saw the final design about a day before the presentation.

Sony Computer Entertainment America President and CEO Jack Tretton said in a separate interview with All Things D [http://allthingsd.com/20130221/seven-questions-for-sonys-jack-tretton-following-the-playstation-4-event/] that the "final specs and design" of the console are still in development but added that like many others, he didn't consider it a big deal. "For most people, it's behind a cabinet or on a shelf somewhere and you spend all your time looking at the screen. And we wanted to show people the screen," he stated. "There will be multiple opportunities to share the look of the console between now and the launch."

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5986143/even-sony-doesnt-know-yet-what-the-ps4-will-look-like]

Dec 14, 2009
Bet it won't have red LED fans.

My PC has red LED fans.

You aren't a true gamer unless you have red LED fans.

True Story.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I kinda felt this was the case. Lot of people seem upset they didn't get to see it. I think the technology is all in place but they hadn't finalized the consoles case design. And before you say thats stupid and they should have, I'm pretty sure it's sort of a standard that they haven't shown consoles in the past from most companies. I recall the WiiU didn't show itself for like nearly a year and a half after it first was announced, people were just too focused on the tablet to remember.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

My PC has red LED fans.

True Story.
Checks PC... has blue LED fans... :/
What the hell does that make me then?

OT:
Well, I don't care that much to be honest, but I hope it wont be so clunky compared to the original PS3.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

My PC has red LED fans.

True Story.
My desktop will have Blue LED's followed by a red center.

Then again I'm quite interested in seeing what colour LED's the PS4 will have and it's overall shape.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So the CEO of Sony does not know what the product that they will be releasing at the end of this year looks like and only had a vague idea what the controller was like just before revealing it? You know, I think I have now worked out why Sony's stock dropped right after their conference.

Daystar Clarion said:

My PC has red LED fans.

True Story.
Red? A bit tacky isn't it? Blue LED fans are much cooler :p

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Internal specs, controller, features all near final most of a year before launch, but people are mad because the case (which frankly is the least important part of the system unless there's something intrinsically broken about it) isn't ready?

P.S. Thanks

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Why didn't they just say so? If it wasn't ready then fine. But it felt like they were hiding it, and it made me paranoid.

It's like when someone says "Don't worry about it". Of course I'm gonna fucking worry about it now!

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
So the CEO of Sony does not know what the product that they will be releasing at the end of this year looks like and only had a vague idea what the controller was like just before revealing it? You know, I think I have now worked out why Sony's stock dropped right after their conference.

Daystar Clarion said:

My PC has red LED fans.

True Story.
Green LED fans are clearly the way to go. does no one have green?... i want green...

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
-Ezio- said:

Daystar Clarion said:

My PC has red LED fans.

True Story.
Green LED fans are clearly the way to go. does no one have green?... i want green...
Green. Yes. I want green too. :/

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
uchytjes said:
-Ezio- said:

Daystar Clarion said:

My PC has red LED fans.

True Story.
Green. Yes. I want green too. :/
Hmm, red case fan with a blue PSU fan. My PC looks like a Vegas night club inside. But lets forget case fans. How about a reactive backlight, something similar to MS's full room experience they recently showed off.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Covarr said:
Internal specs, controller, features all near final most of a year before launch, but people are mad because the case (which frankly is the least important part of the system unless there's something intrinsically broken about it) isn't ready?

P.S. Thanks
Agreed. It feels quite silly.

The hardware and software are the things I'm most concerned about for the launch. This thing better have a solid launch lineup if there's no backwards compatibility if they expect early adoption.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
This does kind of seem like Sony just wanting to announce their new console before Microsoft, which is frankly pretty silly because now Microsoft can use the feedback from Sony's press conference against them. Ex. I'm pretty sure Microsoft's press conference will now have a 50/50 split of women/men on stage.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
dragongit said:
I kinda felt this was the case. Lot of people seem upset they didn't get to see it. I think the technology is all in place but they hadn't finalized the consoles case design. And before you say thats stupid and they should have, I'm pretty sure it's sort of a standard that they haven't shown consoles in the past from most companies. I recall the WiiU didn't show itself for like nearly a year and a half after it first was announced, people were just too focused on the tablet to remember.
I have to agree with this. I'm surprised by how much venom there is out there because Sony didn't show anyone what the actual hardware box looked like. They've revealed what's inside of it. They've revealted the controller. They've revealed a little bit of the console UI and at least concepts of many of the features. They've even revealed some software. That's actually more than gets shown at most hardware introductions. Usually, if we see anything this early it's just a prototype anyway.

Really, though, I don't get why it all matters. First, Sony has been fairly consistent with their hardware design from the PS2 onwards so it's doubtful there will be a huge surprise. Second, how the system looks doesn't have any impact on how the thing plays. For example, both the GameCube and original Xbox were considered by at least some to be butt ugly systems and yet both had some pretty damn good games.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
This does kind of seem like Sony just wanting ting to announce their new console before Microsoft, which is frankly pretty silly because now Microsoft can use the feedback from Sony's press conference against them. Ex. I'm pretty sure Microsoft's press conference will now have a 50/50 split of women/men on stage.

I kinda doubt it. Microsoft will just do their own thing. They ALWAYS screw something up these conferences. Just look at e3 every year. I don't mean just Microsoft, but video game companies in general

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
loa said:
Then why the rush to "reveal" it?
My guess? To Appease Stock Brokers. Because they've had 7 Consecutive Losses (Nintendo and Microsoft both only posted 1 Loss last year!), they've pretty much sold the least amount of Consoles with the PS3, PSP and PS Vita, the PSP and PS Vita never made them a Dime while the PS3 only recently started turning a profit, their worth in 7 years has gone down, from over 100 Billion Dollars to over 10 Billion Dollars, and their Credit Rating has gone down to "Junk" around November. They needed to give Stock Men Confidence so that they could hopefully stay afloat and prove that they got a product people want to buy.

... Sadly, That did not work. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.401617-Sony-Stock-Drops-After-PS4-Event]