Giant Goldfish Invade Lake Tahoe

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Giant Goldfish Invade Lake Tahoe

A goldfish measuring a foot and a half long has been found in Lake Tahoe.

Huge goldfish have been found by researchers studying invasive species in Lake Tahoe, on the California-Nevada border. Goldfish measuring up to 1.5 feet (0.5 meter) long have been found. Normally, this would just be an oddity, but the giant fish are apparently multiplying - scientists are finding more and more larger fish. The people responsible for these oddities of nature are likely well meaning pet owners who would rather dump the fish than keeping it until it dies or killing it, but the goldfish are actually a threat to the lake. Goldfish are bottom feeders who root in sediment - stirring up matter into the water and threatening the lake's famously clear waters. Goldfish are a double threat, too, because of their mineral rich poop - which provides a better environment for algae in the otherwise clear lake.

According to an OurAmazingPlanet.com report [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/flushing-fish-down-the-toilet_n_2475342.html], the global aquarium trade has contributed about a third of the world's worst aquatic invasive species to the environment. Lake Tahoe is already dealing with a different invasive species, the large mouth bass, which decidedly outnumbers the goldfish - so no worries of the lake turning into a giant fish bowl. Whether or not the goldfish surviving and breeding is a threat to the lake remains to be seen. "We know that we have a giant goldfish, the question now becomes how long has it been there and how many others are there in the lake?" Dr. Sudeep Chandra, an associate professor at University of Nevada, Reno told local station KCRA-TV.

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/monster-goldfish-lake-tahoe-aquarium-dumping_n_2727290.html?utm_hp_ref=green]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
How much longer until our waterways are full of Mirelurks? I wouldn't mind having a monster goldfish though, maybe someone could set up a shop catching them from the lake and selling them or cooking them. I bet there is some good eating on a jumbo goldfish.

Captcha: "what's that" well Captcha, it's a monster from the Fallout series that lives in water.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
How much longer until our waterways are full of Mirelurks? I wouldn't mind having a monster goldfish though, maybe someone could set up a shop catching them from the lake and selling them or cooking them. I bet there is some good eating on a jumbo goldfish.
These aren't "giant" goldfish so much as "adult" goldfish. People think goldfish are just tiny fish, but really adults are similar in size to bass and trout, and everything you see at the pet store is just a baby.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
1. Is there a chance of this species of gold fish becoming too large of a population?
2. How would they taste if cooked properly?

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Atary77 said:
1. Is there a chance of this species of gold fish becoming too large of a population?
2. How would they taste if cooked properly?
1. With few if any predators (definately no natural predators there) they could really make a mess. With their large size, pretty much the only thing that'll go after them are maybe some larger birds of prey.

2. I'd assume muddy. I can't imagine an exotic ornamental fish would be all that tasty.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Azuaron said:
CriticalMiss said:
These aren't "giant" goldfish so much as "adult" goldfish. People think goldfish are just tiny fish, but really adults are similar in size to bass and trout, and everything you see at the pet store is just a baby.
Goldfish were originally bred from carp, so think in those terms for average size; they stay tiny in fishbowls because the high nitrate levels stunt their growth

What's potentially problematic is that, under the right conditions, ample food, lack of predators (aka: this), relative species like carp & koi have been known to get pretty monstrous in size. They live for decades & never really stop growing.

Ok, I'll be honest: Lake Tahoe, home of the Giant Goldfish sounds pretty sweet

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
If some frat house in California/Nevada tells you to swallow a gold fish, for the love of god SAY NO

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
We better catch those things before they hit level 20. The last thing our ecosystem needs are friggin' sea dragons.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
We tried to warn them that Yucca Mountain was a bad idea.

But did they listen?

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
Mumorpuger said:
I want a pond in my back yard with a bunch of those things.
As long as it's not in Vermont where the Heron come down and it's basically like fishing in a barrel for them. Your nice expensive gold fish become a tasty snack.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
about the only things that'll pick one of those up (of the size shown in the article) are bald or golden eagles. Heron's, falcon, osprey's, etc wouldn't even have a chance with one of them

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
Giant Goldfish is my wiggles cover band.
That avatar man... XD

OT: I wonder if they have a survival rate that's more than a day, unlike their tiny counterparts.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
DrunkenMonkey said:
That avatar man... XD

OT: I wonder if they have a survival rate that's more than a day, unlike their tiny counterparts.
Not if cats have a chance to eat them >:D

Caramel Frappe said:
actually fixed up my avatar, made it fix the escapist he did.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Phoenix8541 said:
"I like Gold" !!!
lol nice

ot: well i better go buy some food the goldfish swarm is starting to take hold, soon goldfish trying to fit in frats will have to swallow a human to get in, dont say i didnt warn you guys

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Those fools!

The real danger is when that bastard turn into a Red Gyarados!