BioShock Infinite Hops the Preorder Bonus Train

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock Infinite Hops the Preorder Bonus Train

Steam and GamersGate are offering some sweet freebies with BioShock Infinite preorders, but Steam is going to make you work for it.

If you haven't got around to laying down a preorder for BioShock Infinite, you might want to direct your eyeballs to Steam and/or GamersGate. Steam first, because hey, it's Steam: Preordering the new BioShock from Valve will net you a free copy of the Industrial Revolution Pack, which includes three gear items, five lockpicks, bonus in-game currency and the Industrial Revolution puzzle game, plus goodies from three extra "reward tiers" that will be handed out if enough people sign up.

First up is a free copy of the original BioShock, which may well have been unlocked by the time you read this; the second tier is a collection of BioShock Infinite-inspired items for Team Fortress 2, including the Pounding Father, the Doe-Boy and the Steel Songbird; and the third and final reward tier includes all of the above plus a copy of the strategy hit X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

I would imagine that all three reward tiers will be achieved without difficulty, but if you're more interested in a sure thing (and you're not hung up on doing everything through Steam) you can opt for the GamersGate offer instead. Going that route will net you 30 percent of the price in "blue coins" (the cash-alternative currency used to buy games on the site), a free copy of BioShock and a free copy of BioShock 2, Mafia II, Civilization V, Spec Ops: The Line or The Darkness II. You won't get the Industrial Revolution DLC or the TF2 stuff but it is a better selection of games and of particularly interest to anyone who already owns X-Com.

Steam's BioShock Infinite preorder deal can be had here [http://store.steampowered.com/app/8870/]. So what's it gonna be?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Wow that's actually pretty damn sweet. I notice that its already pretty much in the second tier! I would definitely go the steam option for a copy of X-COM as I myself have held out and I was going to buy this game anyways.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Green Man Gaming is also doing something similar, but they also offer $10 credit or $7 cash back.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Well let's see if Jim and Total Biscuit have as much pull as we think they do.
Well, their arguments worked well enough on me.

I hate to keep harping on about it but Aliens: Colonial Marines has kinda put me off preordering. Then again, all these silly little bonus items have never been the reason for me doing so; I normally just want to make sure I have the game on day one.

Lately there's less and less games I actually care about having right away... however, I must say Bioshock Infinite is looking like an absolute must buy all the same.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I got Bioshock 1 for PS3. I don't want Bioshock 2 or any other game they are both offering. My Steam library is already 50% full of games I have yet to play.

I still would rather wait until Infinite's GOTY edition is on sale on Steam. Nice offer though.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I've actually watched Total Biscuit's video on pre-orders very recently. And he's definitely convinced me why pre-ordering and not waiting would be a bad idea.

I didn't pre-order all the much in the past. But from now on, I'm just going to wait until the reviews pop in from now on before I purchase a game.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
My plan is to NOT preorder, and wait for the reviews. While it will likely turn out good, many thought the same about Aliens Colonial Marines.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I know TotalBiscuit and others have said never preorder, but Bioshock Infinite is going to be good to some extent, just like Batman Arkham City was going to be good either way...

But damn, a free copy of Bioshock AND a free copy of XCOM if enough people preorder? That's a DAMN good deal I must say...

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
Damn you steam... just... damn you.

I have basically been against preodering ever since I started actually caring about games, only game I ever preordered was Dragonball Z: Budokai 3, which turned out to be a pretty darn good fighting game I can still enjoy playing today.

But throwing in X-com with Bioshock Infinite is just playing dirty, I've been waiting for X-com to go on super low price sale, and was planning to get Bioshock Infinite quickly after release anyway...

I am against preodering, but this might be too much...

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Hmm... already preordered the game on Steam, play Team Fortress 2 from time to time, have not yet bought X-Com: Enemy Unknown but thinks it looks and sounds awesome...

Let us hope lots and lots of people preorder this game through Steam.

fissionmoon

Sep 14, 2009
If it gets up to tier 3, I'll do it as I've been thinking about getting X-Com.

Is it just glitching for me when it shows tier 1 as unlocked, but the other two at 0% or are that few people pre-ordering it?

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
Spicytrashcan said:
Is it just glitching for me when it shows tier 1 as unlocked, but the other two at 0% or are that few people pre-ordering it?
Don't think so, it's a 1% into tier 2 for me now, so seems plausable.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I already have Bioshock and Xcom. Shame.

I'll stick with my Greenman Gaming pre order.

And to all those who do as TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling tell you, I'm willing to gamble £24 on this game. No problem.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I am so bloody conflicted, I pre-ordered my copy at GAME because im definatly buying this mother but was seriously concidering taking it back... now... damn...

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
...and it's the Xbox getting shafted. It's funny that despite Bioshock being an initial 360-exclusive, PS3 pre-orders get a free copy of the original game, as well as Big Daddy being a character in a PS3 'Exclusive' fighting game.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
This will sound nasty but as I am sick of pre-orders and players that toss money at the screen at the mere hint of a pre-order...

I hope the game is a absolute mess, and the players that pre-order is get so burnt that the market will learn to first see the game then buy it, so bad games can be punished.
Pre-orders just encourages mediocre re-hashes of stable franchises , you dont need a good game to get good sales any more... just good marketing and pre-orders, bad reviews come waaay too late you already have the cash.

So many sheep.

Seriously though I dont want gamers to get burnt but I would prefer it if they at least let the reviewers do their job and judge a game on its merit and not on the pre-order bonus.

PLUS pre-order bonus junk is in game stuff you wont get unless you go to a specific retailer to grab, how is it a good thing that you cant get certain in game items because you got your copy at GAME and not Steam, or Amazon, or Play ?
How is this a healthy state for gaming ?

fissionmoon

Sep 14, 2009
Ringo_Plumen said:
Spicytrashcan said:
Don't think so, it's a 1% into tier 2 for me now, so seems plausable.
Huh. Alright, well thanks for confirming that for me. I know that there's been a lot of backlash against pre-orders lately, but I'm still a bit surprised that such a big-name game like Bioshock isn't getting pre-ordered more/more quickly on steam.

As a follow up question (if anyone knows the answer) does it say anywhere how many people need to pre-order for each tier or is it just that percent bar?

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
PunkRex said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I am so bloody conflicted, I pre-ordered my copy at GAME because im definatly buying this mother but was seriously concidering taking it back... now... damn...
If I didn't have both already I'd be conflicted too. But I have to say... I've been following this game and I feel safe (amazing after the fall of Bioware) putting faith in a game like this. I think Infinite will be great. TB and Jim raised valid points and I have to say I never pre-order games. But X:COM was good and I think its safe to say this will be too...if people want to go ahead and do it this once... I just can't find it in myself to blame them. It's a damn good deal.