Gabe Newell to Receive BAFTA Fellowship

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Gabe Newell to Receive BAFTA Fellowship

Valve's CEO will soon be rewarded with the Academy's "highest accolade" for his contributions to the gaming industry.

Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve Corporation, has certainly done his part influencing the way we interact with games, from encouraging mod support to the rise of Steam as a major PC gaming platform. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) seems to think so too, and the Academy is awarding Newell with a BAFTA Fellowship at the upcoming British Academy Games Awards.

In light of his achievements over a 30 year career, Gabe will soon be joining other Academy Fellows including Peter Molyneux, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Will Wright. BAFTA says the Fellowship is "the highest accolade bestowed upon an individual in recognition of an outstanding and exceptional contribution to games". He'll receive the award at the official ceremony on 5th March.

In response to the announcement, Gabe said: "It is an honor for myself and everyone at Valve to be presented such an award by one of the world's most respected and recognized organizations.

"Valve owes a tremendous thanks to many in the UK - to those who have played our games, to the great support of the UK press, and to UK-based creative contributors such as Garry Newman. I look forward to accepting this prestigious honor on behalf of everyone in our community."

Harvey Elliott, Chair of BAFTA's Games Committee, praised Gabe's "unique" contribution to the gaming industry. "As well as enjoying great critical and commercial success with phenomenally popular franchises such as Portal and Half-Life, his work in giving back to the games industry through developing and showcasing other games makers has been outstanding. He is an inspirational developer and truly deserving of our Fellow recognition."

This isn't the first BAFTA for Valve; the company was awarded "Best Multiplayer" with Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, and "Best Game, Story, and Design" for Portal 2.

Source: BAFTA [http://www.bafta.org/press/valves-gabe-newell-to-be-honoured-with-bafta-fellowship,249,SNS.html]

Dec 14, 2009
I demand a BAFTA celebratory Team Fortress 2 hat!

[HEADING=1]Moar hats![/HEADING]

[sub]Or, you know, Half Life 3, please?[/sub]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I do not think many can say it isn't deserved, regardless of whether or not they are a fan of Valve games. He (and Valve) have done a hell of a lot for gaming.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

[sub]Quite you fool you know he delays half life 3 by a year every time some one mentions it[/sub]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Just you wait, in thanks for giving him this award, Gabe will announce Half Life 3 during his speech. =P

Certainly a well deserved award anyway.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Legion said:
I do not think many can say it isn't deserved, regardless of whether or not they are a fan of Valve games. He (and Valve) have done a hell of a lot for gaming.
Steam has a little bit.

As for their games, not really; the core ideas were others', and if not Valve gobbling up the teams (L4D/Portal) then someone else would've. It's just Valve are a fortune 500 company and can do it easily.

Nothing to the level of games like Populous that were genre changing; Half-Life 2 was just an FPS that took all of those who came before it and packaged it all together, even going so far as to have gameplay gimmick -> story -> new gameplay gimmick -> story as the entire game.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
rapidoud said:
Legion said:
Steam has a little bit.

As for their games, not really; the core ideas were others', and if not Valve gobbling up the teams (L4D/Portal) then someone else would've. It's just Valve are a fortune 500 company and can do it easily.

Nothing to the level of games like Populous that were genre changing; Half-Life 2 was just an FPS that took all of those who came before it and packaged it all together, even going so far as to have gameplay gimmick -> story -> new gameplay gimmick -> story as the entire game.
I wasn't talking about the games at all.

Which is why I said regardless of whether or not you are a fan of their games.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
Should hold it hostage 'til they release Half Life 3.
Also, celebratory hat is necessary. For everyone.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
And absolutely no-one was surprised, I suppose?
Congratulations to Gabe though. ;D

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I still don't know what the hell Peter Molyneux did to receive a fellowship award. Maybe his boundless enthusiasm was enough.

Anyway, good for you, Gabe.

[sub][sub]Now how about Half-Life 3...[/sub][/sub]

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
No don't do it BAFTA. Don't give that villain anything till he gives us HL3.

In other words, Well deserved Mr. Newell.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
BAFTA has now joined the list of organizations I can no longer respect.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Souplex said:
What? Why? I don't care if you hate every game valve has ever made you can't deny the impact on the gaming world that Gabe has had.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Souplex said:
So tell me, what's your favourite gaming company and WHAT they have done to change the gaming industry for the better?
Nintendo? Fuck all they did, except get us out of the videogame crash with mario, but ever since they have done jack shit.

Microsoft? Hahaha don't make me laugh.

Oh Oh...EA! THE BASTARDS WHO KEEP HURTING THE INDUSTRY?!