Sony Launches Free-to-Play Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Sony Launches Free-to-Play Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Starting today, you can play Uncharted 3 multiplayer free up to level 15.

The Uncharted series is probably better known for its cinematic storytelling than multiplayer gameplay, but Uncharted 3's online modes also offer a fun, competitive experience. Starting today, you can jump into that experience for free, even if you don't have the game, as Sony and Naughty Dog are releasing a free-to-play version of Uncharted 3 multiplayer. While the free version has a level cap, unlocking this cap still costs significantly less than the whole game.

The Uncharted 3 standalone multiplayer will be available to download from the PlayStation Network, and gamers can play until reaching level 15 for free. After that, you can pay $5 to raise the level cap to 25, or $20 to remove it entirely. You can also continue playing at level 15 for as long as you want if you prefer the free experience.

If you missed out on Uncharted 3 and want a little more than some multiplayer action, the Game of the Year Edition will also be available on the PSN today. At $40, it's more than that standalone multiplayer even with the level cap removed, but you'll also get the game's co-op modes, single-player campaign, and some DLC.

Releasing a free-to-play downloadable gameplay mode of a full retail title is an interesting approach for Sony and Naughty Dog to take, and should have even more players joining the 3.5 million people who have already experienced Uncharted 3's multiplayer. We'll see if this becomes more frequent when Sony kicks off its next generation with the PS4 later this year.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
This is a great model for gamers! Keep it up! Before you know it i can briefly play games, then go back to minecraft mods on the PC.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
I'd imagine level 16 probably has some uber overpowered gun unlocked on it. Just sitting there, taunting you. "Go on, remove the level cap."

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
This is exactly the sort of model I'd like to see multiplayer games take in the future. I would be more than happy to pay for just the multiplayer mode on some games. (And, likewise, I'd be happy to pay for just the single player)

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
While the free version has a level cap, unlocking this cap still costs significantly less than the whole game.

The Uncharted 3 standalone multiplayer will be available to download from the PlayStation Network, and gamers can play until reaching level 15 for free. After that, you can pay $5 to raise the level cap to 25, or $20 to remove it entirely.
Actually, It cost the exact same as the full game, so you are paying the retail price for half of the game.
If you missed out on Uncharted 3 and want a little more than some multiplayer action, the Game of the Year Edition will also be available on the PSN today. At $40, it's more than that standalone multiplayer even with the level cap removed, but you'll also get the game's co-op modes, single-player campaign, and some DLC.
Which is still more than the current physical GOTY price.
It seems Sony is still enjoying highway robbery tactics. :/

zaziuma

Sep 19, 2010
The Game Overthinker recently said that more games needed to make multiplayer a second option, I wonder if Sony saw this? I know they have already tried this, but they should do it more.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
zaziuma said:
The Game Overthinker recently said that more games needed to make multiplayer a second option, I wonder if Sony saw this? I know they have already tried this, but they should do it more.
They tried it with Killzone 3, but that had a 10 level cap and you couldn't play once you hit the cap.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Well this is awesome, Uncharted's multiplayer is helluva fun, it'll be great having more people to play against :)